The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO At COTA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Got my eye on this thread. I'll sign up for whatever event everyone decides to come to. I typically run with Edge Addicts, but would love to run with ya'll.

@Black Boss - you bringing the race car? :)

TX
So we have:
  1. MVP Track Time February 21-23 - (3) days for $1,375 and track time is about 2 hours per day
  2. Chin Track Days April 18-19 - (2) days for $999 and track time is about 2.5 hours (IIRC), but much of that will be shared with other run groups I believe
  3. Edge Addicts March 14/15 and May 16/17 and July 17th (night event) and Jul 19th - (2) days for $995 with 2.5 hours of track time
Couple of thoughts -

• Chin is typically very strict on run group placement. Expect to get stuck in Novice/Solo unless you have a hookup to get you leveled out (just my experience).
  • MVP Track Time has only 20 min sessions, but is the cheapest, is 3 days, and has TONS of folks that travel for the event. Good time
  • Edge Addicts is my favorite. They are more flexible, cheapest track time per actual minutes spent on track, and they offer a night event!

I've run with both Chin and MVP at COTA a total of 5 times in the last 5 years. My thoughts:
  • January/February is a good time to escape winter in the Midwest, but of the 14 days I've been there 8 were wet. Great times, but this year I'm going further south to avoid the winter, so will not attend with MVP.
  • With Chin, both days you'll get 30 minutes warm up (all groups with helmets to warm up the car/brain) first thing, 2 hours in your run group, and 1 hour in a Happy hour, with all groups at the end of each day. So think closer to 3 hours total.
  • Happy to try Edge Addicts, but for those of us in colder climates with a long (20+ hour) drive it's likely that only the March event would have appeal.

The April dates are out for me as I have some international travel lined up around then. Anything earlier and I most likely will for sure have to rent a car. I may end up renting a car regardless. I know it’s going to be hot but the dates in July are interesting since they include a night drive which would be super cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX
I've run with both Chin and MVP at COTA a total of 5 times in the last 5 years. My thoughts:
  • January/February is a good time to escape winter in the Midwest, but of the 14 days I've been there 8 were wet. Great times, but this year I'm going further south to avoid the winter, so will not attend with MVP.
  • With Chin, both days you'll get 30 minutes warm up (all groups with helmets to warm up the car/brain) first thing, 2 hours in your run group, and 1 hour in a Happy hour, with all groups at the end of each day. So think closer to 3 hours total.
  • Happy to try Edge Addicts, but for those of us in colder climates with a long (20+ hour) drive it's likely that only the March event would have appeal.

How big were your run groups with Chin? I know you run with them in other regions, did they allow you to run in Red group first visit here?

I knowmis a lottery
But whatnis the best weather option there?
I know can rain anyday but is there an historical better month?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

January-May are typically pretty great, but rain is a big gamble throughout. However, they're likely showers vs. full days. FWIW, I've run COTA year round and been rained 2x. Once last October when it mostly ruined the weekend and once last May where it only compromised 1 session.

@honeybadger Chin limits group size based on track length and is rarely overcrowded. I opted to run Blue with them as it was my first time at COTA and I wanted to learn the track. I generally find their Blue group to be as quick as most organizations Advanced groups, and didn't upgrade to Red as I wasn't getting held up.

Next time I'll run Red, as I now know the track.

I think day 2, Happy hour there were only 6-10 cars on track. They offer so much time everyone left early.

Nice, My son and I were there in 2016. What an awesome facility.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Keep your ears peeled regarding availability in the early part of the year--during the F1 broadcast today they were saying the COTA management plans some major repaving to take care of the notably bumpy surfaces.

Yea, Several pros made comments earlier this year about the track degradation and forecasted that F1 would be a challenge.

Wonder if the bumps were the cause of Sebastian V’s rear suspension failure?

Hopefully re pave is done by April

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
At present the Texas Region ( NASA ) does not have a Race/Time Trial/HPDE weekend listed , so they may have to be off the table for planning at present.

TX
Recommending the dates below. I assume MVP is out as they're mostly full now and it seemed like interest was low.
  1. MVP Track Time February 21-23 - (3) days for $1,375 and track time is about 2 hours per day
  2. Chin Track Days April 18-19 - (2) days for $999 and track time is about 2-3.5 hours depending on how you utilize it (30 min warm up session with no passing, 2 hours in your run group, 1 hour "open" track time at the end).
  3. Edge Addicts March 14/15 and May 16/17 and July 17th (night event) and Jul 19th - (2) days for $995 with 2.5 hours of track time
My favorite event of the year is the night event in July. Running COTA at night is a blast. But I'll sign up for whatever dates others want!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel