The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO Is Now a Tire Rack Affiliate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
BTW, I did order some RE71r from the link on here from Tirerack and within a half hour they called and said the tires were ready to be picked up at their warehouse a mile away from my office. I've never gotten tires so quickly!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Falkens come in a nice wide 315/18, by the way. They don't seem to be as sticky as the BFG Rivals or the RE71s, so good chance they may last longer on a road course and not get greasy quite as quick......and look there is another $60 bucks back on a Prepaid Master Card!

Look forward to someone reporting , as that could be a another good option for those folks who like to drive to the track and drive home on the same rims/tires?

Last edited:
I'm in a process of changing my street ride.
285 mm square on 19x11
Indy500 are my first choice.
There are other around the same price
Any suggestion?

Around 200$ a piece.
Please advice!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I like the Michelin 4S but they are a lot more than $200 a piece.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I highly recommend Indy 500's for a street car. I had them on my car with -2.3 deg camber up front (S197 so no rear camber) and they felt great. Ran them on track too and they take the abuse, just aren't fast and get greasy too quickly if you're hot lapping (you get a handful of laps before grip falls). Should be just fine for HPDE.

DFW, TX
I'm in a process of changing my street ride.
285 mm square on 19x11
Indy500 are my first choice.
There are other around the same price
Any suggestion?

Around 200$ a piece.
Please advice!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Well, I bought some General G Max tires. Continental is their parent company and I was hoping some of that technology rubbed off. Coming from Michelin PSS, they are not nearly as good. Tread blocks not supported enough. Very squirmy (but also full tread depth) and also need much more tire pressure. But strictly for street use, they are quiet and comfortable. And cheap.

They are NOT track worthy. They had rave reviews for their class of tire, but I'm disappointed how they handle at the edge of adhesion, I don't really trust them. It's like all of the sudden the sidewall folds over.

I have a second set of track only wheels and tires so it's not a problem to use these G Max only for street.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good choice, and one many find to be the ticket for the track and autocross. I think there are limited choices for a tire to drive in the rain and dry , if driving to the track is your best option. Depending on size the BFG Rival S 1.5, the RE71Rs, and the RS4s are the solid tickets. There are other reasonably quick tires, but many have extremely poor performance if caught in the rain, and rumor has it that Orlando can get a bit on the damp side , at times?

Good to order from the link , as it does help this site ,and you are already aware that this Forum is the Gold Standard for Track Addicts and Mustang owners!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel