The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission sometimes hard to get out of 1st when at a stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a Ben Claimer stage one transmission, it works fantastic except for 1 issue, once in a while if I am in 1st gear at a stop it is almost impossible to get it out of gear unless I am moving, not always, just every now and then. Any ideas??
Thanks, John

Which clutch do you have and how many miles are on it?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Either clutch pressure plate is bad or more likely the release bearing is bad. Pull that trans and check before you wreck it. You are putting stress on all the gears you just don’t realize it yet which is a good thing. If you keep driving it you will end up rebuilding the trans again too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything was replaced when I did the clutch. Everything works flawlessly. Its just once in a while, if I'm at a stop and want to take it out of gear it feels bound up. MGK shifter, Blowfish shifter bracket new flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, throw out bearing, braided clutch line, and resevior.

My GT500 has this issue as well, it only seems to happen after pushing the clutch in and out a bunch from sitting in traffic and everything being heat soaked due to lack of moving air flow. When this happens I've found if I hold the brakes and release the clutch just to the point it starts to engage and engine rpm's drop a little, then push the clutch back in I can get it out of gear.

The issue definitely seems to be the trans is seeing a load even though the clutch pedal is pushed in and the trans syncros stop shifting out of gear. Cause the issue seems to happen after lots of clutch movement and/or heat, I think something in the clutch assembly is expanding just enough to bind up a little and not fully disengaging when the clutch is pushed in. So when I do the clutch double pump trick it helps overcome whatever is binding and then fully disengages. This is just a hypothesis I have though.

Car has stock TR6060, MGW shifter, braided clutch line, dedicated clutch resevior, RXT clutch and new slave and TOB during RXT install.

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the transmission and clutch, it is a dual disc clutch so I turned a spud to fit the clutch disc to and checked for runout in a lathe, each disc had about 1/16" of runout so I straightened the to within .010 and put it back together. We will see what happens. If it continues I will try your double pump trick!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel