The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Vorshlag S550 Brake Cooling Deflector Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX
Terry, I use 19x11 wheels and I see the ones you make are used on 18” wheels. Will your kit work the same on 19” wheels??
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff,

Yes, we tested these with 19x11" wheels as well. They will work with larger diameters and narrower widths, but only down to 18" diameter wheels - which is the minimum that will fit the 15" PP1 brakes that these brake deflectors are made for

USCA-NCM-2019-2%20%2818%20of%2047%29-L.jpg

The 18x11" is a smaller diameter envelope so 18" diameter was our "minimum size".

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This was developed by a friend of mine who did the original S550 brake development work for Ford; he and Vorshlag have collaborated to bring these to market and they will work very well.

FWIW I am using a home-made version of scoop-to-deflector on my own car since hose routing with the SLA wasn't practical. The deflectors work.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Installed mine today. Fairly simple though my bolt holes didn't seem to be tapped right through or may have had crud in them. Chased them with a tap and it went fine. I left my 3" hoses in place to where they come through the fender liners, they now point directly at the deflector. Hoping that will increase the air flow above what the PP splitter supplies. I was going to post pictures of the destroyed, for the 3rd time, hoses but figured there's no point in beating a dead horse.

IMG_20200328_151238.jpg
IMG_20200328_151258.jpg

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I don't have an exact number because I can't entirely trust my Harbor Freight temp gun, but I saw a serious drop in temps, and more importantly, gained much more confidence in my braking. Before, I'd cook them about 15 minutes into a session, and being able to stop this boat without fade is a wonderful feeling. Unlike some of you, my kit consisted of two passenger side plates, so I get some noise when making some heavy turns, and if you're a lucky fellow who has two driver side plates, drop me a line, because have I got a deal for you, and you only.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
Installed mine today. Fairly simple though my bolt holes didn't seem to be tapped right through or may have had crud in them. Chased them with a tap and it went fine. I left my 3" hoses in place to where they come through the fender liners, they now point directly at the deflector. Hoping that will increase the air flow above what the PP splitter supplies. I was going to post pictures of the destroyed, for the 3rd time, hoses but figured there's no point in beating a dead horse.

View attachment 14113
View attachment 14114
My setup now looks exactly like yours, but with orange ducting. Smashed then cutoff ducting now pointed towards the deflectors. lol.

Brake shot.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
My setup now looks exactly like yours, but with orange ducting. Smashed then cutoff ducting now pointed towards the deflectors. lol.

View attachment 66279
I see you're running a tension link bearing. Any problems with the arm rotating and bringing the deflector inwards? I'm really worried about contact with the brakes during driving.
This would be a non-issue with the stock bushing lol

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
I see you're running a tension link bearing. Any problems with the arm rotating and bringing the deflector inwards? I'm really worried about contact with the brakes during driving.
This would be a non-issue with the stock bushing lol
No visible/audible contact to date, no. I find that they each find a sort of equilibrium spot and seem to be roughly in the same position each time I check in on them.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA

TMO Supporting Vendors