The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wow.....New Coil Over kit is sweet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A nice day spent away from the office with tools in hand and the 2016 GT on stands results in Cortex Racing SA Coil Over kit installation. After deciding the office would be slightly more fun that a tooth extraction I stayed home and worked through the install.

I took a break when my fiance got home. A few hours passed and now I am working in lower light conditions than I cared to admit; however, an appointment with Custom Alignment in Mountain View was hours away. I am sure the neighbors do not mind the impact gun noise........ And Filip was stellar in answering several emails throughout the evening.

Install complete and ride height way off but close enough to make the drive for coffee, donuts and the alignment.

We still have a few tweaks to make after adjusting the ride height and finding a slight problem. Well, two problems and a short discussion. Folks, I trust Joe @ Custom Alignment and he showed me that both rear axle nuts were not proper. He stated that mine was the third such experience. So, keep an eye on your 'nuts'. The next time your car is in the air for maintenance check for play in the rear. This pertains to my 2016 GT and two other IRS Mustangs.

Filip @ Cortex is a solid individual and his support during the research, ordering, installation and trouble shooting is top shelf. The car is far more composed on the street. I am looking forward to getting it out on the track.

Great, I'm glad you got it installed and Filip was able to answer your questions. We need photos of the hardware!

Hello guys,

@ArizonaBOSS, the driver side (left) axle nut was loose enough to void any attempt at the laser alignment. The owner (Joe) came and got me from the waiting area to exhibit the amount of play. He grabbed the rear wheel at 3 and 9 to show me the amount of movement. The passenger side (right) was less pronounced but still not torqued sufficiently. Factory torque on the axle nuts are two stage, torque to a value and then again to an angle. I do not recall the torque value, but the second stage is another turn to 45 degrees.

@VoodooBoss, upon my return from Ohio next week I will get some pictures posted. Others have stated how clean the Cortex equipment is in design and finish. And I fully concur with those statements. We had one other minor issue with a slightly loose monoball on the driver side (left) camber plate. I spoke with Filip and he has a replacement on the way. Like I said, stellar response all the way through this upgrade.

I will get more time on the new set up when I get back next week and do a little spirited driving down near Pinnacles National Monument.

98ft/lbs +45 Rear axle nut torque does not hold the hub on in the rear, it simply holds the axle in the hub. The hubs are pre-loaded bearing assemblies (not the old school turn the hub torque it, back it off put the cotter pin in) Did he show you the axle moving inside the hub or was the wheel hub moving (tire would have to be off the ground)? The biggest issue we have seen was noise (clunks and abs failures), and just failed hub bearings. If run loose there is the 3 tang washer that likes to fall apart and the ABS sensor does not appreciate the pieces flying around. The front hubs are also pre-loaded bearings and the 251ft/lbs is actually holding in on the car (non-Shelby)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Jeff:

That was a good find by your alignment shop and Imwould think it saved you from a big headache down the road.

Thanks for posting,
302 Hi Pro

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Like Tim stated the hub and therefore the wheel and tire are connected to the suspension by 4 bolts through the hub carrier to the rear suspension upright. The axle nut only holds the axle shaft in place through the hub splines. Even with that nut loose the wheel should still be held in place by the suspension links and upright. Ford has had a problem with those axle nuts backing off and has made a change in the nut itself. This would cause CV joint issues which have been reported, which could explain a failed wheel bearing from the unwanted movement. Did you change the hub assembly Jeff? Not a fun job, I have done it to install long studs. And that is 3000!
Steve

Headed back to the alignment shop early Friday morning. Will get the alignment done this time after replacing the left side camber plate. Thanks for the advance replacement part Filip!

Joe at Custom Alignment made sure all other aspects of the rear suspension were properly torqued and once they addressed the 'axle nuts' all was good in the wheel position and movement.

I was considering the swap out of the stock wheel studs for the Cortex wheel stud kit. I am intermittently perusing wheels for the car now that I have the offset coil over set up in place. And thinking I should do the wheel stud kit prior to acquiring the new wheels. My intention is to run 19x11 square with 305 series rubber.

TMO Supporting Vendors