The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Rotors and Pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well you know these weren't going to be cheap. I guess it's cheaper than two piece aluminum hat rotors and certainly cheaper than carbon ceramic rotors but a lot more than stock rotors for our S197 cars. :eek:

@cloud9
@fuhrius
@Polaristxguy

Stock GT350 Front Rotors RH 1125 $297 Front Right Rotor - FR3Z-1125-E
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=0Bcf%2boN5qlh%2bm1nsTjGjlw%3d%3d&id=329217798&m=2&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Stock GT350 Front Rotors LH 1125 $297 Front Left Rotor - FR3Z-1125-F
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=HlzJpcg4F55ICUCSQm9uhw%3d%3d&id=328883173&m=2&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Stock GT350 Rear Rotors RH or LH FR3Z-2C026-C $296
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=H2YZpPr7YrTJ0yxZ4T5hGw%3d%3d&id=328780848&m=44&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Stock Brake Pads Front FR3Z-2001-J $283
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=vq0iLFV%2bVPlDpm73bALYNQ%3d%3d&id=328516536&m=44&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Stock Brake Pads Rear FR3Z-2200-E $152
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=S1Ozzhyr88mE9gC4e2OInw%3d%3d&id=328865483&m=44&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

With a discount, those rotors aren't too bad. I'm expecting them to hold up much better than the S197 rotors. The pads should actually net out cheaper than the Hawk pads I've been running. Pleasantly surprised. :)

Have you found the tech manual on how to replace them yet?

Yes hopefully Ken and team at KNS Brakes will be able to get us a better price. @KNS Brakes

I'm also expecting the rotors and pads to last longer than the ones on our current cars. The rotors are also thicker at 35mm like my Stoptech spec Mustang setup. They should dissipate heat well.

It will also be interesting to see if the pads are as good as the engineers told me and I think they will be. Pads are a personal preference item and I suspect you're be back to your Hawks after the stocks are worn. The car coming stock with DOT 4 brake fluid tells me these will be serious stoppers right off the showroom floor.

VooDooBOSS said:
Yes hopefully Ken and team at KNS Brakes will be able to get us a better price. @KNS Brakes

I'm also expecting the rotors and pads to last longer than the ones on our current cars. The rotors are also thicker at 35mm like my Stoptech spec Mustang setup. They should dissipate heat well.

It will also be interesting to see if the pads are as good as the engineers told me and I think they will be. Pads are a personal preference item and I suspect you're be back to your Hawks after the stocks are worn. The car coming stock with DOT 4 brake fluid tells me these will be serious stoppers right off the showroom floor.
Yes they are but don't be so sure. I'm hoping they'll bite hard, but something tells me they'd squeal like a Burlington Northern if they do, and that usually doesn't go over well on a street car. Maybe it's a magic new formula :D

steveespo said:
195.86 ea front rotor at Tousley (Auto Nation). Best thing Ford did was stick with Iron rotors! This is a really good deal for the track user. Full floating 2 piece for $400 a pair is awesome.
Steve
Wow that's a great price. I was paying around $140 for one-piece OEM rotors on the Boss.

After hearing @StigsBaldBrother comments about blowing through his pads after two track days I went back and looked @Black Boss pad photos and remember thinking the pads looked a bit thin when I saw them at Track Tour. According to the specs I have the GT350 front pads are approximately 10mm thick. AFAIR the pads for the Boss were 14-15mm thick and the pads on my Stoptech kit were 17mm thick. The race Brembos are 25mm thick. Can anyone verify the pad thickness on the GT350? I'm just curious more than anything.

IMG_1979_zpszs4qecfy.jpg
IMG_1975_zpsdgnlkz1y.jpg

I wonder if the stockers are also a very soft compound to cut down on noise (as are most stock brembo pads).

Does anyone offer a Carbon ceramic rotor for the GT350/R? It would be nice to see someone offer this as a direct replacement over the stock aluminum/iron version for a weight savings standpoint. Do other cars that use the Carbon ceramic rotors have the rear parking shoes or do they use a separate parking caliper or is it all within the rear brake caliper?

8250RPM said:
Does anyone offer a Carbon ceramic rotor for the GT350/R? It would be nice to see someone offer this as a direct replacement over the stock aluminum/iron version for a weight savings standpoint. Do other cars that use the Carbon ceramic rotors have the rear parking shoes or do they use a separate parking caliper or is it all within the rear brake caliper?
There are not a lot of aftermarket parts available yet. I'm not familiar with other vehicles using the same drum within the rotor but I'm sure they are out there. I'd be more interested to see if a quality two piece race rotor like Stoptech or Girodisc will save weight over the stock front rotors. My guess is there is a 2 lb savings per rotor.

VoodooBOSS said:
There are not a lot of aftermarket parts available yet. I'm not familiar with other vehicles using the same drum within the rotor but I'm sure they are out there. I'd be more interested to see if a quality two piece race rotor like Stoptech or Girodisc will save weight over the stock front rotors. My guess is there is a 2 lb savings per rotor.

I spoke to Mike at Girodisc the other day and he said they will make a 2 piece rotor for the GT350 but it will be slotted. I asked about weight he said it "may" be lighter then stock but since the stock ones already have a aluminum hat it's gonna be marginal. We'll see. Would any of you be switching to this rotor even if it's not any lighter in weight?

Not worth it for me, im guessing any aftermarket rotor will be almost 2X the cost of an OEM unit. Even if the rings become replaceable, the replacement ring will likely still cost more than complete oem unit and then you have to take the time to disassemble and reassemble

Since the oem hat is cast, there can likely be some weight savings going to a machined billet hat, but not sure if it will be significant

Different angle, but I'm noticing much better bite after getting a few miles on the car. These pads definitely need to be bed-in before they start to really work.

I highly doubt much if any weight will be lost from the aftermark rotors. The only thing that annoys me about the stock rotors is the rust around the edges. It makes a mess on the inner wheel

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel