The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Update your version of Sync

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was a bit annoyed that the step by step instructions on Ford's site for updating Sync did not work for our radio so I'm putting this up to help everyone else.

The first part in the process is to download the update to a USB flash drive. I followed Ford's instructions here and it was fine. You need to go online to owner.ford.com to get the update. Once you find the update follow these steps.

1. Download the file to your computer, not directly to the USB (it will be a zip file).
2. Open the zip file. It will have one folder and at least 1 file.
3. Copy all the files and folders in the zip file to the flash drive. Ford specifies the flash drive should be blank when you start. I just bought a new one so mine was blank.

Now you need to go to the car. This is where Ford's instructions fell apart. Here's what I did.

1. Start the car. Ford specifies the car should be running during the entire process (about 10 minutes).
2. Open the console and put the flash drive into the USB port.
3. Press the AUX button on the radio. The screen will look like this.
8519D096-DC77-478F-8D35-5666723CF467_zpsulxjnoom.jpg

Press the Menu button.
EEF8148D-8546-4A92-83EC-E9D73CC390AF_zpsdohtxlnm.jpg

The screen will display "Media Menu" and then change to "Play Menu".
BE4194E5-0738-4699-BC4A-1AB305AB9D1A_zpsayxmhpdw.jpg

Hit the down arrow 4 times until the screen displays "System Settings".
A3DCCD12-CAC0-458E-9739-58192110D4A3_zpsinbtrchu.jpg

Press OK.
900D907D-26AE-4C2D-A59F-9D4137C73A5A_zpsbz0cj31l.jpg

Press the down arrow. The screen will displays "Advanced"
9DD01EC2-5331-4408-A77E-A59C00E6568A_zpsfxdwaf0d.jpg

Press OK again. Then press the down arrow 4 times. The screen will display "Install Application"
E2FAD230-16A1-406E-B182-9CB70546C2D1_zpsyg1wz1xi.jpg

Press OK and the screen adds a question mark, confirming your decision.
DB5B50C0-C516-4E6F-B3D9-2393825109DF_zps6gfyslvv.jpg

Press OK and the installation will start.

It may display installation complete right away, ignore this. The install will take close 10 minutes. It will reboot and it will look like nothing is going on for a few minutes. Be patient. My screen changed a few times and it finally completed the installation.

After it completes it saves a file onto your flash drive. If you want to inform Ford you upgraded your version of Sync you will need the flash drive to complete it. Ford's site says by letting them know what version you have they can let you know when a new one becomes available.

Good Luck!

Great write up. Thanks for posting. I'll have to check to see if there's an update for my wife's 13 Fusion.

Awesome write-up!!
I had no idea we could update Sync. Hopefully, this new version recognizes Pandora everytime I connect my phone... and not when it's only a full moon.

Glad it helps. If you guys notice anything wrong when you go through it let me know and I'll update it.

I updated to version 4.4 and there were two updates I liked. First, if I'm streaming music from my phone and shut off the car, when I start the car again it picks back up where it left off. I don't have to tell sync to start streaming again. Next is that when streaming it will tell me the artist and title of the song. I haven't tried Pandora yet but the specs in this update did mention better bluetooth connectivity.

Great post and now mine is updated. The only thing that I noticed was to make sure the source is set to USB or else you get a Message that "the file is not in the root directory", at least I think that is why it did not work the first time and it did the second time.

Also, now I have my car loaded at Ford and they can keep me up to date.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Seeing that the car needs to be running for 10 mins, would there be any known issue with driving the car while the program is loading or does the car need to be idle?

Sorry if it is an odd question, but Porsche had some updates in a similar way that had restrictions on what the car could be doing for the program to load successfully.

Thanks

UPDATE: Drove my car the whole time and no issues with the update. Works great!

Didn't know the car had to be running while updating, maybe that's why my update wasn't that successful... sync goes crazy when phone is connecting.

Mine gets a little weird sometimes also. The other day I tried streaming music and it sounded like it was playing it twice as fast as it should. The way I look at it is, it's a Microsoft product so expect glitches.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Shaun12 said:
Stupid question....do you have to register/ sign-in to get the updates?

Yes to a point. You have to register with the Ford Owners website so that they can get your VIN and determine which update you need. Then you simply follow the instructions on the website and listed by the OP.

JTG said:
I was a bit annoyed that the step by step instructions on Ford's site for updating Sync did not work for our radio so I'm putting this up to help everyone else.

The first part in the process is to download the update to a USB flash drive. I followed Ford's instructions here and it was fine. You need to go online to owner.ford.com to get the update. Once you find the update follow these steps.

1. Download the file to your computer, not directly to the USB (it will be a zip file).
2. Open the zip file. It will have one folder and at least 1 file.
3. Copy all the files and folders in the zip file to the flash drive. Ford specifies the flash drive should be blank when you start. I just bought a new one so mine was blank.

Now you need to go to the car. This is where Ford's instructions fell apart. Here's what I did.

1. Start the car. Ford specifies the car should be running during the entire process (about 10 minutes).
2. Open the console and put the flash drive into the USB port.
3. Press the AUX button on the radio. The screen will look like this.
8519D096-DC77-478F-8D35-5666723CF467_zpsulxjnoom.jpg

Press the Menu button.
EEF8148D-8546-4A92-83EC-E9D73CC390AF_zpsdohtxlnm.jpg

The screen will display "Media Menu" and then change to "Play Menu".
BE4194E5-0738-4699-BC4A-1AB305AB9D1A_zpsayxmhpdw.jpg

Hit the down arrow 4 times until the screen displays "System Settings".
A3DCCD12-CAC0-458E-9739-58192110D4A3_zpsinbtrchu.jpg

Press OK.
900D907D-26AE-4C2D-A59F-9D4137C73A5A_zpsbz0cj31l.jpg

Press the down arrow. The screen will displays "Advanced"
9DD01EC2-5331-4408-A77E-A59C00E6568A_zpsfxdwaf0d.jpg

Press OK again. Then press the down arrow 4 times. The screen will display "Install Application"
E2FAD230-16A1-406E-B182-9CB70546C2D1_zpsyg1wz1xi.jpg

Press OK and the screen adds a question mark, confirming your decision.
DB5B50C0-C516-4E6F-B3D9-2393825109DF_zps6gfyslvv.jpg

Press OK and the installation will start.

It may display installation complete right away, ignore this. The install will take close 10 minutes. It will reboot and it will look like nothing is going on for a few minutes. Be patient. My screen changed a few times and it finally completed the installation.

After it completes it saves a file onto your flash drive. If you want to inform Ford you upgraded your version of Sync you will need the flash drive to complete it. Ford's site says by letting them know what version you have they can let you know when a new one becomes available.

Good Luck!

Thank you, this is very helpful!

has anyone had an issue with the website saying your car does not had sync? that's what it tells me when I log in. Currently trying to install the sync finder and upload it back to the website.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel