The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lug Nuts for FRPP Racing studs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I am getting ready to replace my front and rear wheel studs with FRPP rear race studs and I'll be replacing the entire hub assembly up front. These studs are longer than the OEM one and I do have a set of chrome open end lug nuts but would rather replace these with black one if possible. I'm not sure there are long closed end lugs nuts and I suppose it defeats the purpose of the quick visual check on engagement but I do see Gorilla makes longer open end nuts in black but am not sure how they'll look. I'm curious as to what others who have replaced their's have done. Pictures would be great too.

I use the Gorilla 40088 1/2" open end 60 degree bulge. Cheap enough to replace when they get a little beat up.

Box of 100 link to Amazon below:

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-40088-Acorn-Bulge/dp/B003ICXGYO

Steve

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The studs are 1/2-20 threads for both FRPP M-1104-A and M-1007-B - same ones used on the FR500S.

Because I have Forgestar CF5V wheels, I have turner (3/4") lug nuts. I'm looking for options on the open end lug nuts other than the standard ones. Is there and benefit/shortcomings to the longer open end nuts? I would think steel would be stronger than aluminum and any weight saving negligible.

I have been running these:

http://www.mackin-ind.com/wheelmate-accessories/monster-lug/

monster-lugs-products847promo_pic.jpg

They are not the lightest, but they are easy on and off the Ford Racing studs, way easier than the Ford Racing lug nuts, and have held up well. I stumbled upon them on Hotchkis site originally but now see they are available a few different places.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Update,

Finally got around to throwing on the FRPP studs on all four wheels and threw on the TPI open end lug nuts. Overall I'm happy with the outcome although I may want to consider doing something with the zinc yellow blunt ends that are exposed.

Front
2012%20Boss%20302%201420_zpspyyxbze6.jpg

Rear
2012%20Boss%20302%201400_zpsch5emjlp.jpg

Just installed FRPP front hubs with ARP studs and put ARP studs in the rear too.

I use the forged steel Gorilla 1/2" black lugs. Quality product and looks nice when installed. I really like that you can start them easily by hand (because they are longer than normal lugs) before zipping them on with an impact wrench.

https://amzn.com/B00SF8FA9U

barspen said:
Just installed FRPP front hubs with ARP studs and put ARP studs in the rear too.

I use the forged steel Gorilla 1/2" black lugs. Quality product and looks nice when installed. I really like that you can start them easily by hand (because they are longer than normal lugs) before zipping them on with an impact wrench.

https://amzn.com/B00SF8FA9U

Just a heads up on the Gorilla lugs. I too have been using these for the last two years, replacing them annually. I periodically have had the lug wear out mid season, and this season was especially bad. Replaced 4 lugs mid season, and I had two that recently froze on to the stud. Ended up having to break off one of the studs to remove it. Yesterday when installing a full set of new studs and Gorilla lugs, I tested them all prior to install and found 3 of the new lugs were bad. I then ordered a set of Vorshlag lugs that Drew recommended (see 2/23 post above) and will replacing the full set of new Gorilla lugs I just installed. It is far too painful having a lug go bad. I am also using the ARP studs and those do not appear to be the problem.

LS110 said:
Just a heads up on the Gorilla lugs. I too have been using these for the last two years, replacing them annually. I periodically have had the lug wear out mid season, and this season was especially bad. Replaced 4 lugs mid season, and I had two that recently froze on to the stud. Ended up having to break off one of the studs to remove it. Yesterday when installing a full set of new studs and Gorilla lugs, I tested them all prior to install and found 3 of the new lugs were bad. I then ordered a set of Vorshlag lugs that Drew recommended (see 2/23 post above) and will replacing the full set of new Gorilla lugs I just installed. It is far too painful having a lug go bad. I am also using the ARP studs and those do not appear to be the problem.

THX for the advice. That reminds me to keep some spares open lugs around.

I did put a very light coating of anti-seize on the front studs, just to make sure the lugs went on and off smoothly. I only had resistance on one lug, but it wasn't too bad.

I'll keep an eye out as track season is getting started for me.

20161030_171923237_iOS_zpsw6rf4q1l.png

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I also use the Vorschlag nuts, I used to run the tuner style nuts and gorilla nuts, they would wear out over time, but more importantly, they don't have a sufficient seat on the acorn.

Here's some pictured stuff (vorshlag and OPMustang nuts, arp studs) from when I converted my S550 to match the S197 racecar, but you can see the acorns on the left have a lot larger seat than tuner lugs (not pictured)

jnMVGhA.jpg

After this weekend, I just have to say, if you can use them, get the high zoot studs with the 1 inch nuts and stop yanking around. we had another brand on the rear of the car and you couldn't use the impact on them because they'd gall, and get the glue into the threads and whatever, they also didn't have enough "tit" to hold the nuts on. Fortunately our pit stops were timed for this even but if we'd been in a hurry, forget it.

K626xyB.jpg

vYaJxcs.jpg

4JOprrK.jpg

blacksheep-1 said:
After this weekend, I just have to say, if you can use them, get the high zoot studs with the 1 inch nuts and stop yanking around. we had another brand on the rear of the car and you couldn't use the impact on them because they'd gall, and get the glue into the threads and whatever, they also didn't have enough "tit" to hold the nuts on. Fortunately our pit stops were timed for this even but if we'd been in a hurry, forget it.

So where do you find "zoot studs with 1 inch nuts"? I did a quick search without luck.

That's "high Zoot" an acronym for $$$$

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10069.0

Check with the advertisers first, if you can't find them, these guys can make them

http://www.msiracingproducts.com/

We go through boxes of nuts to find ones that are not messed up (mass production) when we launch our studs we will have some nut options (USA made). MSI has decent stuff but it's a little beyond our Customer base (track day) so we are trying to come up with a solution that works for most. I have a reliable source for 1/2" but again the seat is compact and they are drying up quickly because they are now made 'cheaper' Terry seems to have the best option right now for 1/2".

TMO Supporting Vendors