The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Clutch Assist Spring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This looks interesting. A spring that's not as stiff yet improve the feel over stock. It's 35 lb/in instead of 185 lb/in for the S550 cars. Has anyone tried it yet?

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-35-lb-in-15-16-all-555-7022/

steeda-s550-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-35-lb-in-15-16-all-555-7022-00.jpg

I haven't tried the spring, but I removed the stock spring in my old 2013 GT. It was one of the best things I could've done to improve clutch feedback, and this spring basically just gives it enough stiffness to remove that little bit of initial play the pedal has without a spring. This spring would probably be the first thing I got for my GT350.

Im sure its an off the shelf spring, once I pull mine out (this weekend), I will measure it and see if I can source one for a few bucks, only issue might be quantity. If not $10 is very fair.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I have no problem paying $10 to save me the time and effort of researching and sourcing this stuff.

I'm a mechanical engineer, sometimes the process is more fun than the end result

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
krt22 said:
I'm a mechanical engineer, sometimes the process is more fun than the end result

So am I; there are better places to spend my time :)

You are likely very right, I will probably end up going through the exercise and ordering the steeda spring anyway :)

Mad302 said:
Will this fit in S197 cars?
I haven't removed the current stock spring yet. I do plan to.
I don't think so, it states 15/16. If you're not having any issues with the clutch sticking and have the stock clutch I'd leave the spring in. The reasons for removing it are to minimize the clutch pedal sticking to the floor or an aftermarket twin disc clutch is very light and removing the spring makes it feel more like stock.

GT350 assist consists of a twin spring arrangement whereas the "lesser" S550 models only use one. Steeda knows this but continues to allow orders for people that state they have a GT350.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1085161&postcount=99

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
I installed one on my car. Clutch feel is much better, but still has the assist feeling for a lighter pedal. I have enjoyed it so far and makes driving better. the stock setup left me guessing when the clutch would engage since it felt so numb. Now I can feel where the clutch engages and pedal effort is barely increased.

The length of the spring deletes the secondary helper spring. I assume you could cut it shorter for use with the GT350 setup since our primary spring is much shorter. Do not know how that would work exactly.

I prefer this much more than just removing the spring and having the chattery pedal or rested weight on the slave cylinder. Just my .02

I assume from his statement that "length of the spring deletes the secondary helper spring. I assume you could cut it shorter for use with the GT350 setup since our primary spring is much shorter. Do not know how that would work exactly" that he has a GT350.

Cutting this spring really isn't the best solution if you wanted to replace the large spring in the GT350 assembly. That is not to say that a proper length spring in the proper poundage couldn't be found.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
50Deep said:
I have a 16 Shelby GT350.

I have a build thread going on 6G but just haven't brought it over here

50Deep:

Please do as many of us here enjoy reading about the different car builds and this Forum is a great place to get valuable feedback along the way.

Good luck with your build,
302 Hi Pro

mattlqx

Mustangless
Installed my Steeda spring tonight. Literally just a spring that's shaved down flat on both ends. Haven't had a chance to drive with it yet, but just putting my foot on it, it adds some heft back into it. Though there is still some weird non-linearness to it, it doesn't feel laughably light anymore.

I installed the Steeda clutch spring over the weekend and finally took it for a drive this evening. While it still feels pretty light it got rid of the goofy feeling off the floor as you start to engage the clutch. Well worth the $18 and it literally took 5 minutes to install. A pair of vise-grip needle nose pliers will make this an easy install.

For those that installed the Steeda spring, please let us know if you experience clutch pedal hangup at high RPMS. I've experienced it on the track regularly, but it happened on the street this weekend and I was not happy.

I don't think the spring is the culprit, but am planning to do some 'scientific testing' at Road Atlanta next month.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel