The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Morris Engineering 2-piece fixed rotor testing thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I decided to work with Morris Engineering doing some consumer "torture testing" of their new fixed 2-piece 14" rotors. Arrived today and I'll get install pics as soon as I get them installed (presently in Ireland....). Anyways, look promising and are claimed 8 lbs each lighter for 16 lbs total weight reduction. I'm hoping the cooling will be better than OEM as well.

My plan is:
Test back to back with OEM rotor for temps during a track session (rotor and caliper)
Lap time and lap data comparison against OEM rotors - I'll need to use my PF01's I think once more to support this for good apples to apples comparison
Durability compared with OEM - rotor wear, resistance to warping, surface cracking , and track time before propegating cracking occurs

Pics, feedback, data, and videos to come! This thread will be my "official review thread". Thanks to Matt at Morris for working with me on this. I expect my reviews will come through all season as I test at different tracks with different braking demands. If these work well at Limerock and Palmer, I'll put them to the ultimate test when I run my slicks at Watkins Glen this summer...

ead-image_d8f437d86a482355c84780952e39b3df0e3e3965.jpg
ead-image_2b23d6e88d045b7d292ddebe51579c94331c44ec.jpg

And the install time-lapse video: https://youtu.be/iOUHjwI0UIE

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
A little follow up feedback after driving 3 sessions in the rain at Palmer last week

The day started with a soft brake pedal, but I had a weeping bleeder. Fixed that, and then got the pads fully bedded by end of 2nd session. Last session I had fantastic brake pedal feel and the brakes were strong. Max negative g's I saw were around -0.7 which was tire limited. ABS engaged immediately with even just medium brake pedal pressure. Interestingly the carbotechs pads I ran today wore very nicely. Usually they get uneven pad deposits on my rotors leading to pulsating but no dig of that with these rotors today. More testing to be done on this since today was so cold and rainy.

Lastly, heat dissipation is excellent. Front rotors cooled much for quickly than my rears based on touch. Again more to come during my next dry warm day with a temp tool, but initial impressions are great!!

ead-image_0c9c8459934973204c80771fad0f75e4cf78f039.jpg

ead-image_a43ca8de8cd67a57224870a5cff1617c283aba28.jpg

ead-image_3fd87ae1090e63648b42b1ec2d4700838ab093af.jpg

They look great, and the price is really good too! They are almost half the price of Giro disc and DBA.
only thing i would concerned about is that it designed for "light duty HPDE and TT"

I wonder how they would hold up in my car. a quick intermediate driver with competition suspension and slick tires.

I've been dying to shave some unsprung mass

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Track50h said:
They look great, and the price is really good too! They are almost half the price of Giro disc and DBA.
only thing i would concerned about is that it designed for "light duty HPDE and TT"

I wonder how they would hold up in my car. a quick intermediate driver with competition suspension and slick tires.

I've been dying to shave some unsprung mass

Well I'm about to put 3 days and about 6 hours of track time at the instructor level this thurs/fri/sat! I'll be collecting data and posting after the event

So far they are great. Put 75 track miles on a couple weeks ago although the event was in the rain.

DMichaels said:
Well I'm about to put 3 days and about 6 hours of track time at the instructor level this thurs/fri/sat! I'll be collecting data and posting after the event

So far they are great. Put 75 track miles on a couple weeks ago although the event was in the rain.

Interested to see follow up after the track time. Have fun!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I'll write more once I'm on a laptop and have some time, but quick feedback after 3 days and 300 track miles... Great rotors. Stayed cool, zero fade issues despite me pushing the car hard.

I do have some nasty brake pulsating but I've had this before with carbotechs. Switched pads last night and I'm gonna let them wear off the very obvious psd deposits. Hopefully that eliminates the pulsing.

More to come! I'll put videos up later too

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
noldevin said:
I just read their tech page and they seem pretty adamant that these are not for hard track use. Worries me a bit about using them, I wonder which part they're worried about not holding up.

I've been working with the guys at Morris and the only concern I had was the fixed configuration vs floating... More susceptible to warping.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Are they offering just the rings for replacements or do you have to buy the whole rotor with the hat each time? I only see the complete sets on their site. That would make a good price even better.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
noldevin said:
Are they offering just the rings for replacements or do you have to buy the whole rotor with the hat each time? I only see the complete sets on their site. That would make a good price even better.

Yes, rings are offered separately. I can't speak to exact pricing though

I ran aggressive track pads today on the street and I'm grinding off the carbotech deposits. Give me a couple more days and I'll have cleaned the rotors and can then speak to the trueness of them post track day...

They are supposedly working a floating design too btw... Hopefully I'll be able to test those too

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
I just saw on their site they added the replacement rings. $150 each. That is fantastic pricing. Only $70 more than my SP Performance zinc coated ones. If these work out for you I might just have to get some brake cooling ducts and give them a shot myself. I wish they had rears too...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
noldevin said:
I just saw on their site they added the replacement rings. $150 each. That is fantastic pricing. Only $70 more than my SP Performance zinc coated ones. If these work out for you I might just have to get some brake cooling ducts and give them a shot myself. I wish they had rears too...

With mounting hardware???

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
TMSBOSS said:
With mounting hardware???

Taken from their site, there's no pictures:
"This replacement rotor "ring" can be used to replace the worn component when thickness wears to less than 30mm. Includes new hardware. Please specify Left or Right individually, or a Pair when ordering. "

$298 a pair.

noldevin said:
Taken from their site, there's no pictures:
"This replacement rotor "ring" can be used to replace the worn component when thickness wears to less than 30mm. Includes new hardware. Please specify Left or Right individually, or a Pair when ordering. "

$298 a pair.

Nice, that's about $50 less than DBA 5K ring replacements...if they ever have them in stock that is.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
My infrared thermometer arrives tomorrow so I can finally get some actual data!

Also pad deposits are slowly being ground down, should have clean surfaces by the weekend to advise on rotor trueness after about 350 hard track miles

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Update: the nasty shudder that developed during my 3 days at Limerock did not go away once pad deposits were worn off. I'm sending the rotors back to Matt for assessment. In the meantime, he sent me a new set that are from a thicker casting. Same rotor thickness but more material on the inner surfaces, more in line with OEM material. Still fixed2-piece though.

I'll have this set out for a 2-day event in 2 weeks and will report back. Also will report back with matts assessment of the ones that developed the vibe

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Regarding warpage, I had a discussion with the engineer at HAWK a while back and he told me when switching between street and track pad compounds to stick with the same brand. He said that different manufacturers use different bonding agents and some of them don't like eachother. It can lead to warpage, cracking and hard spots in the rotors.
If you switch brands, take light sandpaper and scuff off all the old deposits before installing new pads. I can't verify that this is 100% true, but it sure made sense to me.

TMO Supporting Vendors