The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As I was rolling up to a stop sign I pressed the clutch in, hit the brake and the car chugged to a stop and died. The clutch felt like it would not disengage. The car was off at this point, I was able to shift it fine with the car off but if the car is running you cannot put it into gear. The clutch pedal feels pretty normal, but you cannot change gears with the car running. I limped it home by starting it in 4th gear. I think the clutch has failed but I'm not 100%. If I start the car in neutral, depress the clutch pedal and try to push it into any gear it just feels like I am being locked out of gear. It doesn't grind, it just will not allow the gear change to happen. One thing that it does do is cause the car to start to creep forward like something is grabbing when I apply pressure on the shifter to place it into a gear. I hope I explained this well, please feel free to ask questions and to comment. I want to take it to the dealer today but I'm afraid they will deny any possible warranty claim because the MGW Racespec shifter I have installed. There is no problem with the shifter, I got under the car and everything is still connected. It drives fine while in gear, I just cannot change gears with the engine running.

Adam

Sorry but it sounds like the clutch is gone. Mine went at 14K after a fair number of track days.

If you're an optimist, look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to a twin disc unit.

Steve

I had a similar experience. The clutch hub had failed, which only allowed low rpm gear changes. Anything in the mid-high rpm range, I experienced the same symptoms you described. So a good possibility the clutch has failed.

Consider upgrading clutch, flywheel, clutch line and replacing throwout bearing all at once. I also had the shop do a "stage 1" upgrade to the transmission, while it was out... oh and a one-piece aluminum drive shaft...

Adam,

My replacement bill of material:

Clutch - McLeod RST 6912-25
Flywheel - McLeod lightened steel 463458
ARP Bolt Kit #: 156-2801
Exedy slave cylinder/throw out bearing
FRPP Pilot Bearing M-7600-B
Pulse ring - FPRP competition M-12A227-CJ13

Good luck, Steve

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
SDS said:
Adam,

My replacement bill of material:

Clutch - McLeod RST 6912-25
Flywheel - McLeod lightened steel 463458
ARP Bolt Kit #: 156-2801
Exedy slave cylinder/throw out bearing
FRPP Pilot Bearing M-7600-B
Pulse ring - FPRP competition M-12A227-CJ13

Good luck, Steve

Shop around and then go to jegs and let them know you are in the military. You will get racers net prices, 10% discount.. They honor active and retired military with the discount I wrote to,customer service and they set up the account.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
TMSBOSS said:
Shop around and then go to jegs and let them know you are in the military. You will get racers net prices, 10% discount.. They honor active and retired military with the discount I wrote to,customer service and they set up the account.

Where are these part numbers from? I found the clutch on Jegs.

Adam

I believe they are manufacturer's part numbers.
Some online stores have their own part numbers, so you may have to do a little bit of a keyword search.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Should I take the car into the dealership and try to get the transmission covered under warranty? I know they wouldn't cover the clutch but the transmission was going out before the clutch did. Getting it into 5th gear was almost impossible about 6500RPM on track. Also the synchronizers in the other gears were going out too.

Adam

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I would give it a shot. If the stars align, you could end up having the dealership fix the trans and you pay only extra hours labor to install the new clutch.

Mine went out of warranty a few weeks back. When was yours delivered?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
February 2012 is when I took delivery of the car. I've had it at the dealer once for a transmission issue but they just gave it back to me and said nothing was wrong with it. The synchronizers have been going for a while now.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I dropped it off at the dealership today. Fingers crossed they cover the repair. They told me they just had a 2015 mustang come in for transmission problems. They didn't cover it under warranty because they said abuse is what caused the failure. He showed me the clutch and it had broken into pieces. I'm hoping the clutch is still intact and they actually look at the transmission when they take it out.

Adam

PS...the dealership had 3 GT350's and wanted $35k in ADM. $95k for a 2016 GT350TP! I was able to sit in the car and I love the seats. I didn't like the clutch pedal though...super soft and has that compound bow feel.

There is enough documentation on this site and other Mustang sites as well on the clutch & trans issues so don't let the service mgr BS you. I have a aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty just so I don;t have to mess with service dept crap. Cost more than Ford's extended plans but worth it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I just ordered the McLeod RST with the aluminum flywheel. I'm hoping the dealership covers it and picks up the labor since they had to pull it anyway when they took the transmission out.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I ended up ordering the McLeod RST, McLeod Billet Aluminum Flywheel, Stainless Steel Clutch Line, FRPP Pilot Bearing, Exceedy Hydraulic Throwout, and I'm going to have the dealership replace the flywheel bolts. Should I go with ARP flywheel bolts or will replacement stock bolts be fine? Thanks

Adam

Stock bolts are fine, especially if they are free. If you're buying them, ARP bolts aren't much more. It's what I used last summer.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel