The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mishimoto Oil cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I did a search and found a lot of talk about the mishimoto oil cooler with thermostat but haven't really found one that anyone tried it on the track and it worked well. I ran at pocono last weekend with my GT and had oil temp issues so I need a cooler. Anyone with experience PLEASE chime in.

Thank you!

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
On my Boss I installed a Setrab to a sandwich plate under the oil filter. No thermostat. I bought hoses and fittings and put together.one of the members here made oil cooler mount which bolts to the core support. Works very well. Mounted the cooler, sized the lines, cut and installed ends, assemble and tighten it up.
The disadvantage to running without a thermostat is oil warm up time. First run of the day you will want to start 5-10 minutes before you are on track. I usually run the Boss for a few minutes when I take it out of the trailer, shut off and check fluid before first session. Fluids are warm by the end of warm up lap.

Do you have an oil temp gauge?? I installed Oil & water temp along with oil pressure gauges. Very informative. I did not realize oil temps would climb to 300 without a cooler.

What year GT??

There are several excellent threads regarding oil cooler installs. Steve and a few others shared their experiences, and lessons learned.

I have a 13 GT. The factory has a gauge but there are no numbers. Just a digital needle that has white for cold, green for normal then yellow and red. I would only be able to run one hard lap and I'd be in the yellow. I don't daily the car but certainly drive on the street so I want a thermostat.

Who makes this mount you are referring to?

Thanks

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
jpt3 said:
I have a 13 GT. The factory has a gauge but there are no numbers. Just a digital needle that has white for cold, green for normal then yellow and red. I would only be able to run one hard lap and I'd be in the yellow. I don't daily the car but certainly drive on the street so I want a thermostat.

Who makes this mount you are referring to?

Thanks

06Mach1 The mount uses 3 holes already in the core support and you have to drill the fourth.

I have his cooler mount and harness mount. Good stuff. He fabs the stuff himself and has it powder coated. He also makes jacking plates.

Have you considered a gauge set? I was shocked at oil and water temps on track after i installed gauges. I had to install an oil cooler before the next track day. 280-300 is way too hot IMO.

drano38

Wayne
+1 on 06Mach1's oil cooler bracket.
I've got a Moroso sandwich plate on the water/oil cooler. Lines go to an Improved Racing thermostat, then up front to the cooler.
Since you have the GT, you don't have the water/oil cooler (unless you installed it), so the Mishimoto sandwich plate should seal up good. Some found it doesn't seal real well onto the water/oil cooler because of the mating surface shape.
Overall its an easy install. Check the sticky in the How To section for 5 pages of great info.

2012Boss302 said:
I put the Mishimoto sandwich plate on my Boss after the cheap Ebay plate leaked. Have not had a single issue since.

On the street I am seeing steady 185* F oil temp. On the track I am seeing 220-230*F oil temp.

Which cooler are you using? The mishimoto?

drano38

Wayne
I installed a Setrab 934.
Some used 948. The 172 is most likely the best--more cooler exposed to air coming in grill.
The 934 and 948 go lower so part of the cooler is behind the bumper beam, minimizing air flow thru it.
Here's the How To thread. Gives good info on many member's mounting options.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6652.0
Do NOT use push lock hose fittings. They won't hold the pressure.
Use these: http://www.improvedracing.com/an-fittings/an-swivel-hose-end-fittings-c-61_12_36.html

Thanks for all the great info. I'm thinking I will try the mishimoto kit. If the 925 is cooling well it's the same rows as the mishimoto and I like the idea of a lot because I don't have a lot of time to tinker around. I also also found out a friend I run with had one and has not had any temp issues on the track. I'll update this thread once I give it a try. Thanks for all the help!

jpt3 said:
Thanks for all the great info. I'm thinking I will try the mishimoto kit. If the 925 is cooling well it's the same rows as the mishimoto and I like the idea of a lot because I don't have a lot of time to tinker around. I also also found out a friend I run with had one and has not had any temp issues on the track. I'll update this thread once I give it a try. Thanks for all the help!

If you have a GT and no boss cooler installed, I would skip the 925 (or 25 row mishimoto kit) and go with a larger cooler and be done with it. I was trying to justify just ordering the Mishimoto kit and made a thread on here about it some months back. I ended up doing more research and came to the conclusion that I didn't want to make the gamble and a 25row didn't seem to be adequate for warmer ambient temps, especially without the boss cooler in series. I went with a Setrab 948, Mikes bracket and the Mishimoto tstat sandwich plate in the end.

Apex

How is the cooling with your setup?

Jake

jpt3 said:
Apex

How is the cooling with your setup?

Jake

I am doing my first track day next week with the cooler installed. I'll have some good data after that, have been busy moving and didn't really have time to test the car out much.. hopefully that doesn't bite me.

2012Boss302 said:
I also would like to know what your track temps are when you get them sir.....

I am eager to find out. I am having an issue with my oil pressure sensor, however. It was working fine and now it is acting funky going to a negative number and then back to the real reading. I will be looking into the wiring, but I may do the track event anyways and fly blind on the pressure.

On which side of the plate did you guys install your temp Sensor and pressure Sensor?

Also what Is the max you would want your oil temp to go until?

the5 said:
On which side of the plate did you guys install your temp Sensor and pressure Sensor?

Also what Is the max you would want your oil temp to go until?

I put my temp sensor in the inlet back from the cooler to the plate. I know a bunch on here did it the other way to get a max high reading, but I did it this way instead.

jpt3 said:

I would go with a Setrab cooler. Mishimoto claims approx 35 degree temp drop, but all there testing was done on the street per their website. You cannot duplicate racing temps on the street imo.

http://www.mishimoto.com/ford-mustang-5-0l-oil-cooler-kit-11-14.html

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/2014/02/2011-2014-ford-mustang-gt-direct-fit-oil-cooler-kit-part-2-initial-prototype-design-and-testing/

Part 2 of prototyping
"Once all our testing equipment was set, we hit the road to collect some information. Our team drove on the highway for several miles at 65 mph. Special attention was given to vehicles in front of the Mustang to ensure that proper airflow was reaching the front of the car. After completing the test drive, we returned to the shop, removed the Mishimoto oil cooler kit, and installed all the stock components. We then collected baseline temperature information to use as a comparison with our design. We repeated the driving conditions performed in the first test drive to ensure that the comparison was as accurate as possible. All testing was completed in 85-to-90 degree weather during the late summer here in Delaware.

Analysis of the data revealed that the average temperature drops around 20°F, which was a nice decrease from the factory setup without any cooler."

Part 3 of prototyping
http://engineering.mishimoto.com/2014/02/2011-2014-ford-mustang-gt-direct-fit-oil-cooler-kit-part-3-prototype-2-design-and-testing/
"Back to the data collection! The new location enabled reduced temperatures to 185°F! The improved airflow had a significant impact on average temperatures. This new location resulted in a 35°F drop over the OEM setup in normal conditions. This reduction in temperature will be compounded during track or aggressive driving."

The final statement is what bothers me, "This reduction in temperature will be compounded during track or aggressive driving." Seems to me only a real track test could back that statement up, which they failed to do.

Hackboss

Thank you for taking the time to post all this. I found out my buddy I run with has the mishimoto and has not had temp issues and he runs harder than I do. I'll be sure to update the group hear. Hopefully I'm not saying I'm now buying a new cooler...

TMO Supporting Vendors