The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Check Fuel Filler Inlet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Started having an issue with fueling the car recently. It started on my return drive from Steamboat Spring and the RMMR. As I was fueling the car, it started to click off at the pump as if it were full. It did this several tymes and I wrote it off as a faulty pump. Yesterday before I started my epic workout on detailing the Boss, I went to fuel it and it began doing the same thing, only this tyme I could only get in about a quarter of a gallon in at a tyme. I tried another pump and the same thing happened. While driving the car home, I got the warning "Check Fuel Filler Inlet"

I checked the area around the filler cap and it is unobstructed, clean and seems to seal properly, so I disconnected the battery for five minutes and it did go away. I'll have to check if the fueling issue went away as well. Anyone else have this problem and if so, what solutions did you find. I'm getting ready to take the car in for the airbag replacement and wanted to know more about this before having the dealer check it out.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

Also check the evap lines. They wrap around the area of the driver side muffler. It's pretty common for them to see too much heat and melt on the S197.

I honestly forget if there is a vent line in that area too. If the vent is singed shut from heat, this would cause it too.

I had this same code get thrown at the track. Couldn't get rid of it for the longest time. In my case, the flapper valve at the inlet wasn't completely resetting. Even after I got it to reset, I had to clear it by leaving it off the battery for an extended period of time. In your case, I would take a look at the lines around the muffler/exhaust area.

I've had this happen a couple of times on my GT350 and it happens regularly on my wife 2013 Fusion. I think the cap less filler is partly to blame. We complained about my wife's car and there was a TSB on it and they replaces the filler neck. It helped a little but it still happens.

Mine does the same occasionally, especially at pumps with high flow rate. So I end up modulating the flow and holding the lever by hand. It's a hassle when you're in a hurry.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Berol said:
Also check the evap lines. They wrap around the area of the driver side muffler. It's pretty common for them to see too much heat and melt on the S197.

I honestly forget if there is a vent line in that area too. If the vent is singed shut from heat, this would cause it too.

I had this same code get thrown at the track. Couldn't get rid of it for the longest time. In my case, the flapper valve at the inlet wasn't completely resetting. Even after I got it to reset, I had to clear it by leaving it off the battery for an extended period of time. In your case, I would take a look at the lines around the muffler/exhaust area.

Lines look good. Performed some general maintenance by blowing out the area and thrusting the plastic fill tube in and out two dozen tymes. Sprayed some wd-40 in there and pumped the fill tube some more. Dried it off and seems to be working fine now except...

Now my wife just called and said she's getting the exact same message on her 2014 Ford Edge. Oh boy...

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
TMSBOSS said:
What are the chances this error code is related to fuel quality??

Good question. On the Boss, the best is 91 octane except I throw in some 100 Octane at the track. As far as brand goes, I usually throw in Shell or Philips unless there's not one around. I'm thinking this is a problem somewhere in the neck or the top of the filling tube. The message and filling issue has gone away after the battery disconnect and the trick I wrote about earlier, so perhaps it was a fluke.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I've been thinking about this problem and although I've not experienced this yet, I do remember inspecting my exhaust system soon after I installed it and found the heat was beginning to distort the rubber fill pipe connector, (located above the OTA section of the exhaust pipe).

A fellow Boss 302 Forum Member from Canada sent me a heat shield tube that I installed and it prevented further distortion. This heat shield tube was an extra piece that was included with his new Borla Exhaust system. Unfortunately, MagnaFlow did not include any heat protection items with the system I installed on my Boss.

Have you inspected the fill tube rubber connector above left side the OTA exhaust pipe? I have no idea why this same problem would show up on your Wifies vehicle, but it was just a thought I wanted to share with you.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have the same silicone type tube that came with my Borlas. It's still there and seems to be untouched by the heat.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The "Check Fuel Filler Inlet" light has not come back on but I'm still having an issue trying to fill the tank. I've checked everything I can visibly see and it all looks in order and undamaged. The evap line was a bit dirty and I cleaned it up but still can only put in about 1/4-1/2 gallon of fuel at a tyme. The fuel line going over the OAs are in great shape and away from the exhaust.

Since I'm waiting to bring in the car for the airbag recall, I'll have them look at it and report back.

I remember reading somewhere that sometimes the o-ring at the fill hole gets damaged and may throw codes. May be worth mentioning that to the dealer as well.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
TymeSlayer said:
The "Check Fuel Filler Inlet" light has not come back on but I'm still having an issue trying to fill the tank. I've checked everything I can visibly see and it all looks in order and undamaged. The evap line was a bit dirty and I cleaned it up but still can only put in about 1/4-1/2 gallon of fuel at a tyme. The fuel line going over the OAs are in great shape and away from the exhaust.

Since I'm waiting to bring in the car for the airbag recall, I'll have them look at it and report back.

Good idea to have the dealer look at it during your airbag install visit. If when filling the tank the fuel pump keeps shutting off every quarter to half gallon, I would expect to find the tank Vent tube to be blocked or obstructed and the tank becomes air locked. Probably not the fill tube, but perhaps the fuel vent tube system?? This issue gets a lot of hits when Googled.

Let us know what your Dealer Service Departmant finds out.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

I had trouble fueling all three of my S197s without it clicking off before it was full. There must be something with the design of the inlet tube. They even replaced the tank on my GT500 after replacing the vent tube, but it didn't solve the problem. If you Google it, you'll see it was a recurring issue. Basically as long as I started fueling slow on the first click, I could move it to the second click after a gallon or two and it filled fine. Like F.D. Sako said, it takes a little bit longer, but not a huge deal.

I just experienced this problem after a really hot trackday at the Thunderhill 5 mile yesterday. It was 94F on Saturday and 98F on Sunday. Car was running extremely hot. I was hitting 245F CHT after 2-3 laps (and peaked at 254F once) and I did notice the exhaust area was quite hot after coming off the track too.

I can barely fill two tenths of a gallon before the pump clicks off. Often times, it clicks off in less than a second even when I try to fill at the lowest setting. In fact, I filled really slowly yesterday (which didn't activate the auto-off functionality) and the clicker didn't shut off at all after a full tank! Gas came pouring out from behind my driver's side rear wheel before I shut it off. That's a huge fire hazard, IMO.

I'm assuming the heat melted my evap lines like Berol mentioned. Any of you guys who track your car experience this issue after a hot trackday? Is there a permanent fix for this?

qtipconnoisseur said:
I just experienced this problem after a really hot trackday at the Thunderhill 5 mile yesterday. It was 94F on Saturday and 98F on Sunday. Car was running extremely hot. I was hitting 245F CHT after 2-3 laps (and peaked at 254F once) and I did notice the exhaust area was quite hot after coming off the track too.

I can barely fill two tenths of a gallon before the pump clicks off. Often times, it clicks off in less than a second even when I try to fill at the lowest setting. In fact, I filled really slowly yesterday (which didn't activate the auto-off functionality) and the clicker didn't shut off at all after a full tank! Gas came pouring out from behind my driver's side rear wheel before I shut it off. That's a huge fire hazard, IMO.

I'm assuming the heat melted my evap lines like Berol mentioned. Any of you guys who track your car experience this issue after a hot trackday? Is there a permanent fix for this?

You can add additional heat protection/sleeving to both the Evap and the filler neck lines. Some exhaust companies (Borla) even include this with their cat back kits for S197s. Once either the neck it self or the hose get's damaged, the only fix is replacement. I have had this issue on my 2010 Lincoln Navigator, 2007 GT500.....

Frustrating to say the least...

Ah... I missed that part, BigTaco. Thanks. As you said, it was a huge pain in the ass. It costed me some track time. :(

Has anybody who's added heat shielding had problems with the lines melting after the fact? I'm thinking of trying a combination of the silicone tubes mentioned by TymeSlayer and heatshielding.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Was waiting on taking it in thinking I'd do it with the airbag exchange but after being told there'd be further delay of getting the replacement part, I dropped it off at the dealer for diagnosis. I should learn later this week what the issue with the Fuel Inlet warning is.

BTW, I've checked and cannot visually see any issues with seals, tubes, vacuums or the vapor cannister.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Assuming you have not put any additives in the tank trying to just use the product's bottle neck, or a makeshift funnel. We had seen quite a few damaged inlets from folks thinking they did not have to use the white filler neck funnel that comes with the car. Likely not your issue, but the cars seem rather sensitive to other tubes or devices going in and I have seen some folks try to force fuel in at the tracks and then have similar issues to yours later.

Just another possibility and nothing more.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The dealer said I needed to replace the fuel line assembly part number DR3Z-9E325-A which he quoted me over $500 to fix. He quoted the part at $144. Benny at Levittown got me the part delivered at $84.

After waiting for the part, I got it and it solved nothing. Broke down and bought my own code reader. Came up with P0442 - Evap emission control small leak. Back under the Boss I go. I trace one of the hoses from the Vapor canister under the fuel tank and follow to the end and discover that the end of the fuel vapor hose isn't like the one's in the parts lists blowup. At first I thought it may have been sheared off but I find evidence of burnt rubber on the top of my OAs. Apparently the end of the hose burned clean off. I think that's why when I looked under at this hose before I never saw the damage. I just had nothing to compare the end of the hose with. Got a new hose on order (AR3Z-9G297-A) for $17 delivered and should have it early next week.

I'll replace, reposition and shield it with either silicon or titanium wrap and clear the code. I did cut off the hose further down the line and the issue with refueling has gone away and it's just the idiot light that won't clear. After investigating further, this hose is just a part of the EVAP system and even with the hose shot, it does not really effect the car with the exception of the idiot lights and in my case, fueling that takes longer. Hopefully this vapor hose replacement clears everything up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel