The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss chasing a Cat at RMP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
Took the Boss to RMP south of Council Bluffs Iowa last weekend. Friday was open lapping. Had a chance to chase a rare animal on the track.
https://youtu.be/K34yvf0Yn5g

Reeling him in closer. Does the Boss get a point by?
https://youtu.be/1hkhBKqeZSc

Only about 10 cars for open lapping, so had lots of open space for clean laps. But its always fun to be near other cars to challenge ourselves.

drano38 said:
Took the Boss to RMP south of Council Bluffs Iowa last weekend. Friday was open lapping. Had a chance to chase a rare animal on the track.
https://youtu.be/K34yvf0Yn5g

Reeling him in closer. Does the Boss get a point by?
https://youtu.be/1hkhBKqeZSc

Only about 10 cars for open lapping, so had lots of open space for clean laps. But its always fun to be near other cars to challenge ourselves.

I was driving back from down south that day, was wondering who had the red boss out there.

drano38

Wayne
You should have stopped in for a while.
Friday morning was a bit cold--and the tires proved it. But the rest was great.
I was there for Saturday/Sunday with the PCA also. Didn't have a huge turnout, but I think they did ok.

Nice driving Wayne. I can hear you saying out loud: "here kitty, kitty, kitty. here kitty, kitty, kitty." ;D

drano38

Wayne
Thanks Rick.
Yep, was saying that the whole time. The lap before the first video has him further ahead of me, so took a while, but I got him.
Was nice to see one of these on track. His has an auto tranny but he said track mode makes it shift at the perfect time, and coolers keep all the fluids at good temps.
This was only his third track event, so he's still improving. Later in the day he passed me on the front straight at warp speed as I started my cool down lap.
Turns out I knew the owner, and flew the T-38 with him back in the 90's when I was stationed in Oklahoma. Now he's an A-10 Hawg driver in the Reserves. Amazing who we run into over the years of life.

drano38 said:
You should have stopped in for a while.
Friday morning was a bit cold--and the tires proved it. But the rest was great.
I was there for Saturday/Sunday with the PCA also. Didn't have a huge turnout, but I think they did ok.

I had a ton of stuff to do that day being out of town most of the week. I want to try to make it down for a Friday yet, but will probably just end up be doing boo bash the last Saturday of this month. I have some tires I need to finish off.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting , Wayne, as have not been able to get out to RPM this year ( since I don't have a car,ha) , but you made my day as I was able to see all the areas that have been patched. Amazingly they hit most of the spots that were causing problems ,and I am assuming that patch at the end of the straight means they also smoothed out the bumps that were really apparent under braking?

Bill Pemberton said:
Thanks for posting , Wayne, as have not been able to get out to RPM this year ( since I don't have a car,ha) , but you made my day as I was able to see all the areas that have been patched. Amazingly they hit most of the spots that were causing problems ,and I am assuming that patch at the end of the straight means they also smoothed out the bumps that were really apparent under braking?

Hi Bill, I ran the GPR PCA DE weekend at RPM in late Aug...yes, they repaved the area at the end of the main straight going into turn 1. Totally smooth braking area now. Very nice compared to what it used to be like. Now, if they'd only do something about that horrible paddock area!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have run that track since before it officially opened and never made it this year. No car to track right now, so I live vicariously through all the great videos posted on TMO

I was there the week after they patched it so there wasn't any rubber on those areas yet. Going into one was smooth, but to me was very wavy(only way I can explain it). So it would unbalance the car and screw up my braking so I was braking way sooner than usual. Still ran my fastest time that day though. Now I am finding turn 4 to be bumpy so have had to move out about a car width through it to miss those bumps. At least they are making improvements.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang 12, as 4 is a super quick corner for those that know where the real apex is, but sounds like in repairing it they didn't get it smoothed out. Understand why you had to move out as the solid axle Boss would do the bunny hop there when it was rough. Proper fix would have made it great for your car and somewhat disappointing since done correctly that was a corner to blast through taking the car to the right outside edge at warp speed.

drano38

Wayne
Bill,
Overall, the new asphalt is very nice. They said they plan to grind a few of the transitions on/off those new asphalt to smooth them a bit.
Turn 4 is still patches from years past. I found a smooth path thru it about a 1/2 car width from track edge. Glad they're still improving the track and facilities.

I parked in the paddock by a red Viper race car from south of St Paul, but I don't remember his name. Also a white/black Viper race car there too. They were wicked fast on track.

TMO Supporting Vendors