The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My first race with NASA Racing Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This past weekend I went to comp school with NASA @ TWS. I am now a rookie in the Blitz group. I raced ST2 with my car which is set up to ST3 rules of last year. This meant I was slow for that group. No big deal just getting my feet wet. I did two races on Saturday and on Sunday I did the warm up and the qualifying season. However, my right front hub went and I was done for the day. Here some pictures courtesy of Paul Costa-

IMG_0854_zpslr6gv9c6.jpg
You can see the miss matched wheels. I had to use a R7 with about 20 heat cycles on it to try and race on Sunday.

IMG_0855_zpsyjzpqfbv.jpg
If you look real close the guy with the headset on, next to the golf cart is Eric Foss in this pic.

Also, I had a right front tire failure. The wire that holds the tire bead came out of the tire. I know its weird, but it happened. Here's the pic-

025af07a-71b1-4b07-b9ae-e91679e9594f_zpshbst4kka.jpg

Going to do brake upgrades this off season. Not that I really have an off season as I am schedule for HPDE events through December and NASA picks back up in January at MSRH. Having Vorshlag change out the OEM brakes with PowerBrakes. They are a new company to America and are out of South Africa. Vorshlag is a PowerBrake dealer. Pic of the rear brake courtesy Jon @ Vorshlag-

9914f410-4d8a-4d1d-b315-7539efaf9740_zpsqxtn2hzm.jpg

Another upgrade is going to be AJ Hartman @ ajhartmanracing.com canards for the 2013-2014 Mustangs. You can check them out at his website if your interested. I am not affiliated with AJ Hartman racing in any way.

So I am looking forward to next year and racing with NASA Racing. I have six races left until I get my racing license, I have a provisional one now. Until then I need to keep my nose clean and not get in anyone's way. Also, I plan on training with Eric Foss next year. I already talked to him and emailed him for his schedule.

Looking good. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

captdistraction said:
Interested to see how those powerbrake setups work out for you. How's the economics there?

Eric Foss is a great guy, he was my instructor at BTA and I had him in the car as much as I could. Learned a lot about how to properly approach a corner

Congrats on getting to the first race!

As far as pricing goes, they're pretty affordable when you stack them up against Brembo. The front and rear brakes cost about the same as the 15" front brakes cost from Brembo.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Budget Boss I am glad to see you hitting the track for W2W racing!

That is a really odd failure of that tire, I have never seen anything like that before.
Did the hub failure cause any loss of control or damage? I hope not.

Best of luck in 2017 and keep it clean!

ArizonaBOSS said:
@Budget Boss I am glad to see you hitting the track for W2W racing!

That is a really odd failure of that tire, I have never seen anything like that before.
Did the hub failure cause any loss of control or damage? I hope not.

Best of luck in 2017 and keep it clean!

The tire failure is weird. However, I spoke with a shop that was mounting tires at TWS for all the racers and they said they have seen it a couple of times this year. On the hub I got lucky as it started making noise in the paddock and I was able to hear it as it clunk while I was making my way to the grid for the first race on Sunday. As for keeping it clean, that's the plan so I can get my race license. Thanks

Update: Well the front right hub didn't break. The knuckle came loose. I am guessing that the tire that failed and was rubbing up against the strut cause it to loosen the upper bolt on the knuckle. Easy fix, just tighten the bolt. However, since I am having new brakes put on I am having the hubs replaced as they are 4 years old. Here's a pic with the front brakes, canards and 4" brake ducting.

_652572088235324_6961279159495543296_n_zpsjcxvs6hd.jpg

I would love to hear more about these brakes. I couldn't find them on their site. Are they carbon ceramics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Further kudos for Eric Foss .......he was one of our Instructors at Road Atlanta and later Sebring. Probably one of the nicest guys out there as an Instructor and very humble about his driving talent ). Was happy to see him win the Mazda Driver Championship in Pro Spec Miata years back as it has launched him into a lot of solid rides since then!

jpt3 said:
I would love to hear more about these brakes. I couldn't find them on their site. Are they carbon ceramics?

The are the Powerbrake X6EL 6-piston 350x34mm fronts and on the rear there is the X4EM 4-piston 350x32mm. The rotors are steal.

Pic of rear-
DSC_4947-M_zpsukwsdagy.jpg

Budget Boss said:
The are the Powerbrake X6EL 6-piston 350x34mm fronts and on the rear there is the X4EM 4-piston 350x32mm. The rotors are steal.

Pic of rear-
DSC_4947-M_zpsukwsdagy.jpg

Curious on how you mounted the rear caliper? Is it fixed or on a slider?
If it's fixed, how do you compensate for axle movement?

Thanks

Swiss Boss said:
Curious on how you mounted the rear caliper? Is it fixed or on a slider?
If it's fixed, how do you compensate for axle movement?

Thanks

They are fixed. Measured the axle movement at 1/8". However, still have to test it at the track. Had to reschedule track testing, still haven't determined a date.

No new news on the Powerbrakes. However, I have some video of my 3rd place finish at MSRH with NASA Racing.

Edit: I fixed your youtube link. Just paste the link directly into your post with no additional formatting. Easy as pie. :)

Last edited:
Update on the rear brakes for my car. PowerBrake brakes didn't work out and I am using the stock OEMs now. Just means I need to keep spares around just in case. That being said the fronts are awesome and I can brake really deep and make passes going into the turns.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel