The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Oil Cooler Tube Assembly Recall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw this over on SVT and JMB Boss alerted me to this and thought members here should know about this. This could be related to the infamous fire on Joe's car. Mine's going in soon for some maintenance and I'll have this replaced.

Check your VIN at the link below.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

GT350%20Oil%20Cooler%20Hose%20Recall_zpsyfkyzlw9.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
San Antonio
GT350 Engine Oil Cooler Recall

I was reading a post on mustang6g.com (the site just went down as I was reading it) about a recall and checked owner.ford.com and I confirmed I got a notice from Ford about a recall for insufficient crimps that could lead to an oil leak and possible fire.

Recall Date: OCT 24, 2016
Recall Title: ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT
NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
Ford Recall Number: 16S40
Recall Description: ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLIES ON VEHICLES BUILT WITHIN THE SUSPECT DATE RANGE MAY HAVE INSUFFICIENT CRIMPS THAT COULD LEAD TO A HOSE SEPARATION AND AN OIL LEAK.
Risk to Safety: SUDDEN LOSS OF ENGINE OIL MAY RESULT IN ENGINE FAILURE, AND IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A FIRE.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLY REPLACED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Re: GT350 Engine Oil Cooler Recall

Makes me wonder if this could also cause a sudden "loss of control" while one was on the track?

Does this affect the GT350R?

2HP

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
San Antonio

What I read is that it could potentially impact GT350 and R as well as Tech and Track since all models have the engine cooler.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

btaylor--good heads up; however we do have a sticky thread open for this already. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11765.0

Please consolidate further discussion there.

Thanks!

Bay Area
voodoo child21 said:
They won't have parts until January 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I was going to state. I hope you guys get it sorted out quickly. Maybe Ill wait till the fix is out to pull the trigger. OR could I use this to my advantage???? ::)

voodoo child21 said:
They won't have parts until January 2017.
Unfortunately my car won't get driven much between now and then. After five track days if I haven't had an issue by now I probably won't. I'll still take it in for the recall though. I'll contact the service manager I work with and see if he knows if they will change the oil. I can wait if I get a free oil change. ;D

VoodooBOSS said:
Unfortunately my car won't get driven much between now and then. After five track days if I haven't had an issue by now I probably won't. I'll still take it in for the recall though. I'll contact the service manager I work with and see if he knows if they will change the oil. I can wait if I get a free oil change. ;D

Jeeze a friend of mine just sent me the link to the Autoweek article on this.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/recalls/recall-stop-sale-order-hit-certain-ford-mustang-gt350-and-gt350rs

I was set to go to Willow Springs this weekend with my car, whose VIN is included in this recall, and now I'm wondering if I should scrap this event? Probably will. The worse thing is they said a fix isn't available now and might not be till the 1st quarter of 2017...that could be as late as Feb or March. What a marvelous F up from the supplier or Ford. :mad:

shelbyman1 said:
Jeeze a friend of mine just sent me the link to the Autoweek article on this.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/recalls/recall-stop-sale-order-hit-certain-ford-mustang-gt350-and-gt350rs

I was set to go to Willow Springs this weekend with my car, whose VIN is included in this recall, and now I'm wondering if I should scrap this event? Probably will. The worse thing is they said a fix isn't available now and might not be till the 1st quarter of 2017...that could be as late as Feb or March. What a marvelous F up from the supplier or Ford. :mad:
How many miles are on your car and have you tracked it before? If there are a few thousand milesp and a couple of track days and it hasn't leaked you might be fine.

VoodooBOSS said:
How many miles are on your car and have you tracked it before? If there are a few thousand milesp and a couple of track days and it hasn't leaked you might be fine.

I have 2800 miles and 1 previous track event on it. I ran a good day and a half without any issues but I just can't put the others on track in this kind of situation. They will know by this weekend all about the recall and I don't want to be criticized as taking the chance. I'll drive it to a local car show and around town but just wouldn't feel good about it on track. I'm sorta familiar with oil lines as I have a 66 race car with a cooler but with AN stainless lines and alum threaded fittings instead of the clamped type of fitting. Can't do anything with the clamped type except replace them.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Shelbyman -- super responsible to other racers and gotta applaud your integrity. Been there with guys that were only concerned about themselves and have flown off track with oil dumped in a turn.

Hopefully this will be quickly resolved , though imagine the January date is just to get new product produced for all?

Bill Pemberton said:
Shelbyman -- super responsible to other racers and gotta applaud your integrity. Been there with guys that were only concerned about themselves and have flown off track with oil dumped in a turn.

Hopefully this will be quickly resolved , though imagine the January date is just to get new product produced for all?

Well my feeling is just not worth the risk. Will drive it around town though till the fix is available...slower speeds so not much risk. Its just a weekend car anyways...but bummed about missing the track event. I imagine it will take a while to get the 8000+ units made by the vendor and to Ford.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel