The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 vs Formula Firebird Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT-GqpbOKu8

The Formula Firebird is basically a race car, completely gutted with suspension, brakes, tires, power mods, and he's on R888's in 295/315.

The Boss is relatively stock with some suspension mods but has Pirelli PZero Slicks on it. Enjoy the video

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Another solid video showing folks that the Boss is no slouch , though will have to give some credit to the Pirelli slicks , they are killer on the Boss. Assuming you were getting them used from GT Racing or someone else as World Challenge Series take offs?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I stopped getting them from GT Racing because the quality was so inconsistent. I don't remember the gentleman's full name but it was John something and he would usually get me a set with one or two heat cycles for the same price, basically brand new. The Pirellis were my favorite and I will miss being able to run a square stance that I could rotate on the Boss. It doesn't look like you will be able to rotate on the GT350 without a very large spacer or adapter plate. I'm okay with a spacer but I have seen adapter plates fail before and I'm not going that route. The GT350 because the of improved suspension geometry doesn't eat front tires like the Boss did.

I'm using a 1" spacer and rotating my 305 square setup with no issues. ;)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
After talking to Edgar ( Need4speed) and VoodooBoss I am pretty confident in going with the square set up. Never had any issue running square with the Boss ( needed a spacer then also ), but then I always check my equipment frequently. Appreciate the note , and if you remember who you were getting the Pirellis from drop me a note , please.

[email protected]

Bill Pemberton said:
After talking to Edgar ( Need4speed) and VoodooBoss I am pretty confident in going with the square set up. Never had any issue running square with the Boss ( needed a spacer then also ), but then I always check my equipment frequently. Appreciate the note , and if you remember who you were getting the Pirellis from drop me a note , please.

[email protected]
Are take off 19" slicks available?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Crap , better check , my brain is still stuck on running 18s on the Boss , so wasn't thinking about 19s - and pretty sure they don't have anyone running those in World Challenge?!

Tire selection is definitely a lot more limited with the GT 350 , so hope to hear more and more from folks on this site about tires that are working well. Have not been fond of R888s , but there are now some new R888Rs , and have not chatted with anyone using them , but have a feeling we are going to be somewhat limited tire wise for awhile. Hopefully the trend to larger rubber ( Camaro on 20s for instance) will get some of the Manufacturers to put out a few more sizes for us. Most of us would kill for Hoosier to put out a 305/19!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel