The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Enough life left in these tires for 2 track days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gents,

I'm heading to VIR Thurs/Fri, do you think I'll have enough tire here for 8 30 min sessions? Pirelli Pzeros on a 2015 GTPP. Have new tires, but think I can squeeze it. Thoughts?
d755c146ba0315398e3cef0f5674a5db.jpgad10d73f2a5e1704b2444c875f8f8301.jpga580e7a80b324139a59649ee53d0ca5c.jpg

I think this is cutting it close...
In my experience, if you jump the curbs at VIR, it'll help wear down the inner treads, which will even things out in your case. But depending on how aggressive you drive, these might be a single-day tread. Now if it rains, you're definitely sitting out and having a burger under the porch, which will make your tires last 2 days no problem :p

I know, I was probably 0 help ::)

DEye

You can't get there from here...
The first and last tire pictured look to have a bit more thread than the center picture that seems to be down to the wear bars.
I've worked with our club organizing lapping events and have removed people for driving with tires that were starting to peel the sidewall off, they were trying to get the last bit of life out of a set of tires before they swapped them out...

You decide "car in the wall" or get a good set of tires on the car Before you head to the track ?

Some tires start to get squrimy and greasy ( not littereraly ) when you get Close to the cord/carcass, less grip, less fun.

My two cents,
Don

Flyboygsxr said:
Perfect time to switch to Pilot Super Sports. The stock Pirellis are terrible! They rate last in most of the comparison tests.

Just putting on Conti DWs since the GT will get traded in about a week...the new Shelby will have the MPSS:). COTUS is showing 5 days until delivery.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I had a set of DWs...they are okay. Steering feel isn't great and they are pretty soft. The tread depth is so deep and the sidewalls are soft and I suspect these are some of the reasons why it doesn't have the crisp steering feel of the PSS. The DWs are amazing rain tires but just marginal in the dry. Let me know what you think

PS...they will last forever

TMO Supporting Vendors