The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lowering the seating position - dropping Recaros ~1"-2"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey track rats, I need your help.

I've got an HPDE scheduled for January and have my Simpson Super Bandit helmet ready to go. This will be my first HPDE in the Shelby.

I'm 6'4" with a ~35" inseam. I fit great in the GT350R Recaros without a helmet, but with the helmet on I have to recline the seat quite a bit to clear the headliner.

I'd like to drop the driver side seat. I am open to an aftermarket seat. Had anyone else successfully dropped their ass a bit in these cars? How did you do it?

Based on my research it seems that I'll need at least a seat, seat mounts, and a seat adapter. This assumes that I don't have a sliding seat mechanism.

Questions:

Is there an easy way to drop the stock seat? I'm willing to give up a lot of ad hoc adjustability.

If I go for an aftermarket seat, can I retain the use of the stock seat belts? Assuming no, a Schroth 4 point that mounts to the rear seat mounting points seems like a good option. Should I consider other options? FWIW, I have the rear seat kit in my car so I have access to the seat belt mounts through the rear seat.

Will the computer have issues with my removed seat mounted airbag?

I'm leaning towards the following setup and would like your input:

1) Seat: Profi SPG XL Black Velour (070.86.UU11)
2) Seat Mounts: Recaro Aluminum Side Mount Adapter Brackets (7207000A)
3) Adapter: Brey Krause Ford Mustang Drivers Side Seat Track Adaptor (R-9184)

If I want to retain the sliding function, can I simply replace the seat mount about with a Recaro Flexible Adapter for Pro Racer HANS XL SPA/SPG (7206293)?

You didn't mention it so I have to ask: do you have the seat lowered as far as it will go?

I don't have specific answers to your questions but @Black Boss @voodoo child21 and cloud9 installed racing seats in their GT350/S550 cars. You can read about two of the installs in the threads below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10457.0

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10338.msg148809#msg148809

I've never had my Recaros out to look at them but the BK Seat mount is going to give you the lowest seating position possible. You may be able to mount your seat directly (remove the slider)to the BK mount (in the right place) and then just use the harness set up or factory belts. It should gain you some head room. If not you have to go aftermarket seat and then you can just put a real harness in.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The aftermarket sliders are usually one of the first things to remove when you're looking for more headroom. They typically add about 1/2" to the overall stack.

ArizonaBOSS said:
The aftermarket sliders are usually one of the first things to remove when you're looking for more headroom. They typically add about 1/2" to the overall stack.
Do you happen to know if I can ditch the stock sliders and mount the stock Recaros to the floor? I'd imagine some adapter is required to get the seat in the right spot.

06mach1 said:
I'm 6'4" and fit but I did modify the seat mount which lowered the seat by about 1/2". Required cutting, welding and grinding. Not hard but not real easy.
I've been thinking about that as well. Might you have any pictures of your setup?

I'm also thinking about getting the headliner out of a wrecked car and cutting a hole in it. An extra inch will make all the difference.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I-Man said:
Do you happen to know if I can ditch the stock sliders and mount the stock Recaros to the floor? I'd imagine some adapter is required to get the seat in the right spot.

@I-Man you will need an adapter, as you have surmised. These are really good. http://www.plantedtechnology.com/planted-seat-bracket-ford-mustang-2015-driver-left.html

Also you will likely need a set of side-mount brackets for the seat.

Looking at the seats (Factory Recaros) they have a decent side steel structure. It appears that if you removed the slider and height adjustment mechanism you could come up with or adapt seat side mounts to the factory seat. The BK seat mounts are going to gain you the most head room, but if you eliminate the factory seat base it appears you gain 2+ inches just from that.
http://www.opmustang.com/store/p24/S550_Mustang_Drivers_Side_Seat_Track_Adaptor.html

TMO Supporting Vendors