The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear Diff Leak - Upgrade Time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys!

I backed the Boss out today to wash it (70* in Houston) and noticed a small cluster of drops of gear oil on the garage. Looked under the car and say a spray of gear oil on the gas tank shroud and exhaust.

Assuming I confirm a rear diff leak while I have it apart replacing seals and/or gaskets, what should I consider upgrading?

It has the stock driveshaft and only BMR LCA, brackets, and adj. panhard bar.

Should I do a Watt's if I have the cover off? I know one version requires a diff cover change.

Or if I could only do one is an aluminum driveshaft better?

Have you added proper diff venting?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Reading your discription of sprayed gear oil, whatever is leaking, is rotating. Look at the pinion seal and DS boot as suggested above.

Cortex Racing makes a real nice Watts Link. If I ever get mine installed, I'll let you know just how nice it is! Haha.

Once you look at the leak area it should be fairly evident what seal cut loose.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
302 Hi Pro said:
Reading your discription of sprayed gear oil, whatever is leaking, is rotating. Look at the pinion seal and DS boot as suggested above.

Cortex Racing makes a real nice Watts Link. If I ever get mine installed, I'll let you know just how nice it is! Haha.

Once you look at the leak area it should be fairly evident what seal cut loose.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

Dave,

Don't make me fly back home to Jersey to get you to put on that Cotex WL!

Kirk

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
@Jabooh1

My set up sounds pretty close to where you are leaning. I have the DSS one piece AL DS, All the BMR suspension goodies in the rear including their Watts Link. I did change out to a vented diff cover but don't think it was needed to install the BMR WL, it should work with the OEM. But, since you're there, changing over to something like FRPP M-4033-KA isn't a bad option. Get rid of the PH bar and thrown on the WL, you'll love how it feels in the turns.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
TS:

I know! I just got a little busy this year. Lots of travel and family stuff.

January - March are my favorite mod months.

Take care,
2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel