The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Helmholtz resonance at high speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thought I would start the thread with a fancy title/term ::)

https://youtu.be/cc58aeUEWi0

Short story...I noticed very loud "buffeting" at high speed (100+ MPH) on my last track day after installing a Watsons roll bar. Never had the issue prior, so I'm pretty convinced the new roll bar started the issue.

After pushing the skinny pedal on the straight aways, the resonance would start once I touched triple digits and get progressively worse, until it felt like the car wanted to shake apart. I would let up on the gas and the shaking would fade. I know I'm losing time...felt like I was driving better, but times and top speeds were down.

Anyone else get this? Any suggestions?

THX and Happy New Year!

Trunk area is open. Rear panel is in the garage, but I don't have it installed yet. Just need to cut the holes for the rear down-bars and will be good to go.

Hopefully this takes care of the issue.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
It will barspen. It will also help top speeds and overall performance. That air packing in the trunk creates drag and lift, both not helpful to lap time. Race teams cut holes in the inner quarter panels and/or the spare tire well to relieve the pressure. There are dust seal vents in the lower trunk sides behind the wheels that you can remove but that wouldn't be good for a street car, water and dust can get in.
Steve

barspen said:
Trunk area is open. Rear panel is in the garage, but I don't have it installed yet. Just need to cut the holes for the rear down-bars and will be good to go.

Hopefully this takes care of the issue.

The trunk delete will resolve the issue. I do not have my delete installed and experience the same type noise. I only leave mine out because I have not installed any venting for the diff cooler I have mounted in the trunk.

THX all! Looks like I will move the trunk panel install to the top of my list.

Headed back to the track in mid-Feb, so I will update with the results...although sounds like this will fix it.

I've experienced the same at the track, but it wasn't as bad as you described. I just ignored it.
I also do not have a rear seat delete kit, trunk is open to the cabin.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel