The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Seats for HPDE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I need new seats for the mustang. I slide all around during track days. Now, I obviously drive the car to the track, wife says no cage just incase we need to take the baby somewhere, otherwise besides hpde events the car sits, I only put 800 miles on it last year, most to events or track miles. Seems like people keep going back and forth on fixed backs without a cage, can I use a fixed back with a hans and helmet with harness and no harness bar? I read somewhere someone makes a harness adapter without the bar. I cannot afford 3k plus for oem recaro seats. Otherwise it looks like there are no reclining seats that are crash tested within a reasonable (under $2k for a pair) I thought I'd ask here as you guys know a ton about this stuffl

You can buy used Recaros for about $1k. Post an ad here that you're looking for a set to buy. @voodoo child21

Schroth makes a set of harnesses that connect to the rear lap belts. Pete at Track Day Solutions might be able to help you. @PeteInCT

TMSBOSS said:
I have the Schroth system in my daughters Mustang. It's a good substitute for a harness which requires a bar.

It has passed tech a few times. Check with your track to ensure they accept before buying

I'm also in this dilemma and from what I've read using a harness without a rollbar is a bad idea because in the event of a rollover the three points allow you to sink into the seat if you will while the harness will not. Can anyone else speak to this?

Jake

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The Schroth 3 point is definitely a compromise compared to a 5 or 6 point with a rollbar.

Daughters Mustang is a V-6 and a bit slower than the Boss. Chances of rollover are slim. This system keeps the driver planted and provides better protection than OEM for all but rollover.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Starjammir said:
Any thoughts on the fixed back without the cage?
I like the Corbeau fixed seats. Very comfortabe and FIA. Have you thought about a Maximum Motor sports 6pt half cage?? With the harness bar and side bars off I still take the family out for dinner etc. I have the foam protectors over the bars.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Starjammir said:
I have not! I will check that out through! Did you leave your back seats in?
I have that same bar and it integrated well with the stock interior
Mine had the welded in cross bar, but it's available with a bolt in as well.
17992_10151545406168535_1751756106_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
One thing about seats....I originally purchased the FX1 WIDE RACING SEAT BY CORBEAU (for 40/42" waist) and they were so wide you couldn't close the door, so be aware that they do run very very wide. Hopefully you're slimmer, but if you are my size 38/40" waist you may want to get one of the smaller sizes or a different seat. I ended up with Kirkey Aluminum seats and love them, but mounting brackets had to be custom fabbed. Just an FYI.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Starjammir said:
Any thoughts on the fixed back without the cage?
Fixed back seats with no roll bar are generally frowned upon because in the event of a rollover and the roof comes crushing in you are stuck in there like a tent pole with nowhere to go. A non fixed seat is more likely to fold and give you some room when you need it most.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I agree 100%, once you start getting some speed its better to get a roll bar, harness and fixed seat. I am still at a 34" waist! so my regular Corbeau seat fits nice and snug. Even the Recaro seats are pretty heavy. When I swap in my race seat I am always amazed that they weigh at least twice as much as the fixed seat.

Caution, don t get a cheapo seat. A race buddy is still not back from getting his lung punctured by a cheap Chinese knockoff seat several months ago. The crash was not that serious but the seat caused him lots of problems and a pretty major scare.

Mad Hatter said:
I like the Corbeau fixed seats. Very comfortabe and FIA. Have you thought about a Maximum Motor sports 6pt half cage?? With the harness bar and side bars off I still take the family out for dinner etc. I have the foam protectors over the bars.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

I've thought about this but having kids in the back with the bar makes me nervous. If there were an accident there would be a good chance of getting a head knocked.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I thought the same, but the foam covers you can get from MM are pretty decent. that, and the added protection from the bar is always a plus as well (this is with the bolt in harness bar out!).

TMO Supporting Vendors