The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need your help with Oil Temperature Gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey everyone!

So I have my Mishimoto Sandwich plate which I'm going to use to install my Setrab oil cooler. I wanted to install my oil temperature gauge into the sandwich plate since there's a spot for it, but now I've found that the sensor itself is too long, cannot be modified or changed out for anything else, so I'm in a pickle! Hoping you guys can help out with suggestions for two things:

First, where can I tap my oil temperature sensor into aside from my Mishimoto sandwich plate?
Second, what's the best spot to do the same for my water temperature gauge? Is everyone using the engine block heater port that I keep hearing about?

Thanks in advance, and here's the photo of the sensor not fitting all the way into the plate:

32423774635_80714f5021_b.jpg

Simplest solution would be to find out the thread of the adapter and get a coupling to push the sensor out a bit.

As for the water temp, my plan for a previous vehicle was to get one of the in-line hose adpaters. The adapter goes in-line you're radiator hose by cutting and trimming it. There may be a simpler solution for the mustang though.

F.D. Sako said:
Simplest solution would be to find out the thread of the adapter and get a coupling to push the sensor out a bit.

As for the water temp, my plan for a previous vehicle was to get one of the in-line hose adpaters. The adapter goes in-line you're radiator hose by cutting and trimming it. There may be a simpler solution for the mustang though.

Good idea for adaptor. Found this - http://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=5405&gclid=Cj0KEQiAh4fEBRCZhriIjLfArrQBEiQArzzDAdXf0YraT9W0NfVUq93CKLFouHKVxWGtZ9r-abZdsX8aArsD8P8HAQ

5405-02-02 - Extender/Enlarger, 1/8" NPTF Male x 1/8" NPTF Female hydraulic fittings

So luckily I'll be able to use that as an extension, that works.

As far as the water temp gauge, anyone else have experience with where to tap the sensor? I've seen that in-hose adapter before, but I'm curious if there's another solution, or if that's the best way to do it.

My water temp is tapped into the side of the block where the heater would go if you had one. It seems to be spot on with the temp. you will need an adapter, I just don't remember what size. Heater port is on the divers side above the oil pressure block.

Tri-bar said:
My water temp is tapped into the side of the block where the heater would go if you had one. It seems to be spot on with the temp. you will need an adapter, I just don't remember what size. Heater port is on the divers side above the oil pressure block.

Just found this guide so following suit with you and this guy - https://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/2014/05/boss-ch-16-ford-racing-gauge-pod-part-3/

Hopefully that'll do it!

F.D. Sako said:
Just make sure the coupling ID is large enough to fit the sensor element through it.

With my install in order to put the unit on the side going to the cooler I had to make a 90 degree fitting and had to thin it out because the probe was too thick.

jpt3 said:
With my install in order to put the unit on the side going to the cooler I had to make a 90 degree fitting and had to thin it out because the probe was too thick.

Yeah that's the issue I'm having too. I didn't know if I was supposed to be mad at Mishimoto for making a sandwich plate that didn't fit the sensor, or the gauge company (innovate, whom has been absolute dog crap in terms of customer support), because the sensor is too long. Come to find out Autometer's oil temperature gauge has a sensor which is 1/4" less long, which could alleviate the issue as well...

For the innovate sensor I've been using this - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nos-16784nos - to help with the length of the sensor itself, but similar to you I had to drill out this 1/8" NPT coupler in order for the sensor to even slide through it. First attempt failed, so I bought 2 more just in case along with the Autometer gauge. Fingers crossed :)

So I bought an Autometer oil temp gauge, and the sensor itself is about 1/4" shorter than Innovate's gauge. Problem solved, no coupler or adapter fitting needed at all. Guess I'll have to purpose the innovate for something else.

Thanks for your help guys, problem is solved!

TMO Supporting Vendors