The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

For those with McLeod RST/RXT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am close to replacing my clutch with an RST as it seems like this system is the most likely to eliminate the high rpm lockout due to it's reduced diameter and lighter discs based on what I can gather from other's experience here. What I am most concerned about is the frequency that those with this clutch have experienced increased gear rattle or other noises at idle or in the 1500-2500 rpm range. Is this a rare thing that I don't really need to be concerned about? My MT-82 has slight gear rattle at idle in neutral now, even with only 1500 miles on it, and that doesn't really bother me because otherwise it is quiet. I plan to leave the stock driveshaft in and will be installing the McLeod lightened steel flywheel if I go this way.

I had an RXT and did notice a slight rattle at idle but never running through the gears. If your car is street driven stick with the RST like you have planned.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
GaryA said:
I am close to replacing my clutch with an RST as it seems like this system is the most likely to eliminate the high rpm lockout due to it's reduced diameter and lighter discs based on what I can gather from other's experience here. What I am most concerned about is the frequency that those with this clutch have experienced increased gear rattle or other noises at idle or in the 1500-2500 rpm range. Is this a rare thing that I don't really need to be concerned about? My MT-82 has slight gear rattle at idle in neutral now, even with only 1500 miles on it, and that doesn't really bother me because otherwise it is quiet. I plan to leave the stock driveshaft in and will be installing the McLeod lightened steel flywheel if I go this way.
I have an RXT/alum flywheel and no noticeable gear rattle at idle. At speed everything makes noise so it's hard to say there.
Its a super good clutch though, 1000 hp capacity. Shifts good at high speed, feels like stock pedal pressure. No regrets from this guy.

No plan to ever go racing with it, but do want to experience high rpm nirvana! I wanted to do the clutch when I installed my MGW Race Spec. I so appreciate the shared experience of everyone on this site. I'm so far behind that I haven't really been able to contribute much yet, but hopefully will be able to add something valuable soon to expand our knowledge base.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mcleod-rxt-clutch-0110gt-26spline.html

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
GaryA said:
No plan to ever go racing with it, but do want to experience high rpm nirvana! I wanted to do the clutch when I installed my MGW Race Spec. I so appreciate the shared experience of everyone on this site. I'm so far behind that I haven't really been able to contribute much yet, but hopefully will be able to add something valuable soon to expand our knowledge base.
RST would probably be a better bet for you then.

One thing I really like about the Mcleod system is the ability to change discs back and forth from RST to RXT should I decide to track my car in the future. If Paul Newman could do it in his eldage, why not. I keep getting emails from Skip Barber and Father's Day is just around the corner!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
GaryA said:
One thing I really like about the Mcleod system is the ability to change discs back and forth from RST to RXT should I decide to track my car in the future. If Paul Newman could do it in his eldage, why not. I keep getting emails from Skip Barber and Father's Day is just around the corner!
I'm 58 and fat....I still manage to climb through the window of a race car...you can too!

Thanks so much, guys! You have been a very bad influence as usual. I knew I could rely on you to help me empty my wallet. Decision made and I'll get to ordering.

I recently had an RST installed with lightened steel flywheel. Have only done a few hundred miles so far but it is the single best modification I have done to my car. I have owned 2 Bosses and neither allowed consistent or easy shifts at 7k+, despite having tried all of the other usual 'fixes' such as MGW, Blowfish bracket, stainless clutch line, Whiteline shifter bushing, and even a Spec Stage 1 clutch and alloy flywheel.

The RST has been fantastic. At this point, it's not fully broken in and still does a slight shuddering when slowly taking off in first or backing out of a parking space and there is a very slight noise when in neutral with clutch pedal all the way up but it is not anything objectionable and you only hear it if you really listen for it. I have read about people complaining about noises/rattles in the 1500-2000rpm range but honestly that is a rev range that I spend zero time in other than in 1st gear so I cannot comment at this point.

McLeod told me to get an RXT but after posting the question here and talking to some vendors and my mechanic who specializes in late model Mustangs, the RST was my choice and I could not be happier. Only thing I sort of wish I had done was go with an alloy flywheel because I got used to the lightweight alloy Spec flywheel and I can feel a slight difference when I blip the throttle at stoplights but realistically it hasn't made heel-and-toe downshifts any harder or anything.

The only issue I can see with using the RST (or the RXT) is that there are no clutch plate dampening springs. Any vibrations from the engine would be transferred to the trans mission and on out the driveshaft. This is what causes the shudder too.

Oh the irony of it all ! The lighter unsprung discs that allows our cars to shift so easily and protects the synchros accelerates wear on the input shaft , etc. Seems to be a common lament from not just the Mustang crowd but the GM folks as well, as this clutch is very popular with Camaro, Corvette, and GTO owners. I would imagine it would be inherent in all unsprung multiple disc clutch systems though. I looked at the excellent Ram system which uses one sprung and one unsprung disc, but from the one or two references I could find it may not allow our cars to rev to redline and shift consistently without lockout because of the extra weight of the sprung disc. Champale, I'm glad to hear it has worked out so well for you too. I can't wait to get to where you are now.

From what I can pick up from others it may be related to the unsprung discs transferring more crankshaft torque to the splines that would ordinarily be absorbed by the springs in a conventional sprung disc. I'm certainly no expert on such things but if anyone else has any experience in this respect I would love to learn more!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
GaryA said:
From what I can pick up from others it may be related to the unsprung discs transferring more crankshaft torque to the splines that would ordinarily be absorbed by the springs in a conventional sprung disc. I'm certainly no expert on such things but if anyone else has any experience in this respect I would love to learn more!
The torque doesn't change, but the amount of shock will.

I went with the RST and Mcleod's lightened steel flywheel. I don't have any rattle or noise at idle, at least that I can hear, but you will definitely have a "groaning" noise when accelerating gently between the 1500-2500rpm range. It really doesn't bother me, so it depends how picky you are.

Also, due to the twin clutch plates, your clutch engagement will move up in the pedal travel range. But you can definitely feel when the first plate makes contact when releasing the clutch pedal gently. In my opinion, that slippage between the 2 clutch plates dampens some of the vibrations during engagement, just like the springs would on a single disc clutch.

If the noise bothers you, then uncork the side pipes and run the track key... you won't hear the clutch anymore 8)

Some other things you might want to consider are replacing the throw out bearing (preventative maintenance), swapping to braided clutch line (because it's shiny), and getting ARP flywheel bolts (for increased reliability). I'd also list a driveshaft upgrade, but you mentioned you'll be keeping your stock one, which is a good idea when your goal is to keep NVH in check.

Nice segue! That was my next question. Due to additional shock increase at the pilot bearing, has anyone upgraded to the Ford Performance M-7600-C High Load pilot bearing? I have the Corsa Extreme axle backs with 3/4 in restrictors, but dang if she doesn't seem to get quieter every time I drive her. Gonna remove those pesky restrictors in the side pipes the very next time she's on the lift. I like the way you guys think.

Got my goodies ordered up! I ordered the McLeod RST and lightened steel flywheel, Mcleod stock style hydraulic throwout bearing, Ford performance high load pilot bearing and ARP flywheel bolts. I also have a Shelby Iso-Clutch reservoir kit a, JPC braided clutch line and the MGW Race Spec waiting to be installed at the same time. I haven't ruled out the driveshaft but may want to get the DSS carbon fiber one. Also wanted to make sure everything is ok with the clutch and shifter before I add any more variables. And of course the well of play money is officially dry! Thanks again guys. I'll update when I get things installed.

Oh-h-h-h!
TMSBOSS that's not even fair-you know the perfect time to do that is when the exhaust is down and the trans is out. Knowing who to send it to for upgrades doesn't help when the flesh is so weak when it comes to my baby.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel