The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension/rear end problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone,

I took my boss to get an alignment along with tire balancing, the shop sent me some pictures stating the rear end is not squared.
Has any one experienced this?

Currently have steeda's lca+ brackets along with UCA with their bracket. Shop is stating the arms arent adjustable, which I completely thought they were.

What are your guy's thoughts?

IMG_4052_zpskw8etc2d.jpg

IMG9540531_zpsmprb4ehg.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Chriss_302 said:
Hello everyone,

I took my boss to get an alignment along with tire balancing, the shop sent me some pictures stating the rear end is not squared.
Has any one experienced this?

Currently have steeda's lca+ brackets along with UCA with their bracket. Shop is stating the arms arent adjustable, which I completely thought they were.

What are your guy's thoughts?

IMG_4052_zpskw8etc2d.jpg

IMG9540531_zpsmprb4ehg.jpg
Are the lca brackets welded in? If not the will move and cause this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman said:
Are the lca brackets welded in? If not the will move and cause this.

Yes, they're welded in, guy who did the job didn't do all that great.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Chriss_302 said:
Yes, they're welded in, guy who did the job didn't do all that great.
It's possible they weren't welded in straight. You are going to need to fix that.

If the LCA's are not even that's a problem. Correcting them would be my first move too. You can also try some adjustable LCA's and see if you can get it square that way.

VoodooBOSS said:
If the LCA's are not even that's a problem. Correcting them would be my first move too. You can also try some adjustable LCA's and see if you can get it square that way.

What about swapping back to OEM?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Chriss_302 said:
Its likely that the brackets are welded on crooked so the stock arms wont help unless he mounts them up to the stock holes in the differential.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
:eek: Dang. Does your car dog-track on the freeway? The problem has to be in the brackets. Especially with fixed length arms.

Chriss_302 said:

OEM arms aren't going to help. Taking out the brackets might.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Chriss_302 said:
e36e5ed378dac5965893d58c543c4f5c.jpg
Re: Suspension/rear end problems

5792ccfd0fd404b738c0cad48523b103.jpg
Re: Suspension/rear end problems

And there it is....time for some cutting.

In looking at the pictures they need to measure again for you....it's off but not as much as they think. The first picture shows the ruler on the surface of the tire....measurement depending on the angle of the picture looks to be about 1 11/16".... the second picture the end of the ruler is in the tread itself....which looks to be about 1/4" deep....so if you take the 1/4" off of the second measurement it would be about 2 1/2"....so difference between the 2 1/2" and 1 11/16" is less than 7/8"....again, some of this depends on the angles the pictures were taken at. Not saying it shouldnt be fixed, the pictures just make it look worse than it might really be. Just my thoughts and opinions.

Grant 302

redkey1651 said:
In looking at the pictures they need to measure again for you....it's off but not as much as they think. The first picture shows the ruler on the surface of the tire....measurement depending on the angle of the picture looks to be about 1 11/16".... the second picture the end of the ruler is in the tread itself....which looks to be about 1/4" deep....so if you take the 1/4" off of the second measurement it would be about 2 1/2"....so difference between the 2 1/2" and 1 11/16" is less than 7/8"....again, some of this depends on the angles the pictures were taken at. Not saying it shouldnt be fixed, the pictures just make it look worse than it might really be. Just my thoughts and opinions.

Calibrated eyeball says ~1" to 1 1/16" given all the parallax and tread depth errors. ;)

Either way, still enough for the WTF moment.

redkey1651 said:
My exact thoughts. Going to personally measure tomorrow and upload some pictures.

Since the welds are off, will that be the cause for the rear end not being squared?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Chriss_302 said:
Since the welds are off, will that be the cause for the rear end not being squared?

yup. It may have been crooked before the welder got it and he welded it where bit was.
This is the reason I didn't use the steeda brackets on mine. There is no real firm location bracket like on other brands. They can slide around on the housing if you drive it before welding.

See how the BMR bracket in the bottom pic has a tab that catches a bolt hole to keep the proper location?
Notice on the Steeda mount in the top pic that there is no such bracket?

16241?$subcat250x187$.jpg

49602?$subcat250x187$.jpg

Grant 302

Fabman said:
This is the reason I didn't use the steeda brackets on mine. There is no real firm location bracket like on other brands. They can slide around on the housing if you drive it before welding.

Exactly. Other brand brackets with the back strap could also be welded, if desired.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel