The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

End of an era

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Guys, as many know I have owned and run my 2011 Mustang GT/Baus 302 know as "the 21 Car" since September 2010. It has always been a faithful and reliable car with over 14000 miles on track. Last week I worked hard on the latest upgrade (of many) and got the G Stream wing mounted, I had also through the winter performed maintenance on the entire rear suspension, new front hubs and torque checked all the suspension bolts. There was a persistent vibration on the right side of the car that I thought I had cured with the parts replacement and check out. One thing I did not check or replace was the inner tie rods, this leads into this story from Saturday...........

Accident happened at the top of the esses. Right front ball joint failed due to a vibration that I had felt all morning but could not track down. Stupidly I kept running the car. Anyway car went off on the left towards the villas and with the brakes locked down I got it slowed from 110 to 24 when I hit the tires. I tried steering away but the front didn't respond at all on the grass. The damage wasn't bad from the hit but the grass caught fire. Track crew responded as quickly as they could and put it out but much of the undercar plastic, wiring and fuel vapor lines are melted. So my story has a few lessons; 1) Pay attention when you feel something wrong with the car and track it down. We think it was an inner tie rod that was allowing the wheel motion/vibration and that beat up the ball joint which then sheared at the cross bolt. 2) Have a roll bar/6 point harnesses and HANS on track at all times. I didn't hit hard this time but I also did not move in my seat, was awake and got out of the car with no injuries. At the speeds we run at tracks like VIR, Watkins Glen, Road America and others the impact speeds can be devastating. OEM seat belts and Air Bags aren't going to be enough over 50 mph hit. 3) Keep an extinguisher or fire system in the car. I took my halon extinguisher out of the car last year with the passenger seat. Dumb, if I had it I may have been able to slow the fire until the track crew could get there. A $3000 problem became a $10000 problem because of it. 4) Wear a firesuit. I had actually forgotten mine in the rush to leave Friday morning, luckily I didn't need it but it was close.

The second half of the story is the sacrifice and heroics of some good friends at the track. Steve Kersh (2012-Boss) who is like my track wife, immediately shut down his track day and got over to where the tow truck dropped the car and started to formulate a plan. Bill Wilde(wwilde001) also came right over to help pack up tools from the garage. Tony Sorrentino, President and event organizer from SCMC/Track Club USA joined us in the attempt to get the car back on 4 wheels so we could load it up on the trailer with no further damage. We removed the damaged plastics, pulled off both damaged fenders, disassembled the damaged right front suspension and managed to get the remaining stub shaft of the Howe ball joint back into the spindle, tighten the pinch bolt and push the car up onto the trailer. Great thanks to those guys and many others at the track some who are members here at TMO who offered support and condolences to me and the 21.

I am still deciding what to do, the chassis is straight and body damage is limited to the nose, cracks in the Tiger hood, fenders, rocker sills and rear bumper cover. More substantial damaged occurred to the wiring harnesses, fuel lines, CF driveshaft (which melted), possibly steering rack, and the paint overall from fire damage. I have had some great offers of assistance from Don Rositch of Mustang Don's Garage and many others. Am considering many options including selling everything and starting fresh in a year or two. Will keep everyone posted.
https://youtu.be/xkFeO1snk2M
Steve

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaBOSS said:
Damn, that was tough to watch. Glad you are OK--as mentioned on FB please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Video shut off when I killed the ignition or you would have laughed as I did my best Fernando Alonso impression calling for the marshals and stomping out fire with my feet. Helpless feeling watching the fire grow under the car.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Very sorry to hear that!!. Glad you are ok and thanks for the very real reminder to take care out their!!

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Man that was unfortunate to watch to say the least. I'm sorry to see that this happened to you, but it sounds like you had a great group of people to help you out when you needed them. As i said, I'm probably 15 or 30 minutes away so if you need help with anything just shoot me a message here or on facebook and I can come down and help you out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Wow, this really sucks. But I'm glad to hear you are alright and the car is salvageable.

Steve so sorry to hear and see your mishap. Thank you for posting because this is how we all can learn. I say this out of respect because you are a track junky and for you to say you forgot or should of checked teaches us rookies a very hard lesson. You are a pioneer with your mustang and will forge forward. The 21 car has become kind of a icon on this site. You bounced back from the trailer accident and I believe you will from this. Nothing can replace the 21 car.....Nothing!
On a different note I would of loved to seen your fire dance.

Again: Very glad your OK.
Others in your life count on you. ;)

Steve,

Glad to see your ok. You can replace the car. Maybe it's time to make a race car out of it? If you decide to sell it let me know.

Matt

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Steve, glad you are OK. Sounds like she is rebuildable.

You are a great guy but......I don't want to see you do the fire dance.

I saw a buddies Blazer burn to the ground from a small electrical short. Fire department showed up just in time to save the rear bumper. Glad this worked out better for you.

Steve, As Drew said, the video is hard to watch -- a very tough break as with that failure you had no chance of controlling the car and the grass fire just adds insult to injury. Very glad that you are OK and that friends were there to help -- I know from personal experience that you are always there for others. Let me know if I can help as you think thru your options. Hate to see you and the 21 Car away from the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel