The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS differences vs. the GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is a summary of upgrades/changes from the GT for the 2012 Boss 302:

Powertrain
Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Upgraded Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Larger Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams
7500 RPM Limit
CNC’d Heads
Oil Cooler
Larger Radiator
Revised Radiator Plumbing
Revised Oil Pan Baffling
Race Inspired Clutch
3.73 Axle Ratio
Finned Aluminum Diff Cover
Limited Slip Diff with carbon fiber plates (Torsen Limited Slip Available)
Quad Exhaust
Suspension
Higher Rate Springs (lowered 11MM front – 1MM rear)
Adjustable Struts/Shocks
25MM Rear Anti-roll bar (GT is 24MM)
Tuned Electronic Steering with 3 Settings
Unique traction control system settings
Unique electronic stability control settings
TracKey - Additional Key that enables the PCM setting of the 302R (dealer flash required)

Body
Black or White Roof Panel and Coordinated C-Stripe
Unique Front Facia with Blocked off Fog Lamps and Splitter
Small Rear Spoiler

Interior
Alcantara Steering Wheel
Unique Shift Knob
Unique Cloth Seats (Recaros available)
Cloth Door Panel Insert
Dark Metallic Instrument Panel Finish
Unique Guages
Unique Door Sill
11 Pounds of Sound Deadening Removed
Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Brembo 14 inch vented discs front
Boss specific rear compounds pads rear
Vented Brake Shields
Unique ABS tuning
Reinforced Brake Lines
Lightweight 19X9 and 19X9.5 Wheels
Pirelli P-Zero Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front 285/35/ZR19 Rear

Laguna Seca Package
Available in Black or Silver with Red Accents
Rear Seat Delete
Standard Recaro Seats
Rear Body Stiffening X-Brace
Softer Front and Firmer Rear Springs
Stiffer Damper Settings
Larger 26MM Rear Anti-Roll Bar
Unique 19x9 Front and 19x10 Rear wheels
Pirelli Corsa Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front and 285/35/ZR19 Rear
Larger Front Splitter
Pedestal Rear Spoiler
Brake Ducts
Torsen Diff Standard
Auxiliary Gauge Package with Oil/Water Temp and Lap Timer
Unique Laguna Seca rear medallian

Re: what exactly is different about the BOSS?

The list is a summary on why Mustang SEs are such a baragain.

All those goodies without having to pay twice. And with warranty.

There is a disclaimer on the Boss site that mentions using the front LS splitter might affect the warranty. It was not specific.

From what I understand it's basically not street legal due to how far it extends from the front of the car. I assume this is a DOT rule. Ford's lawyers probably make them put that statement on it to avoid liability or hassles from big brother.

The LS splitter was not on the car when it was crash tested so it cannot be sold on the car.

why didn't Ford put a parking sensor on the splitter so I don't run it into parking blocks?

joking - Beep, Beep, Beep.....Beep, Beep, Beep (the sound my Flex makes when backing up)

5 DOT 0 said:
The LS splitter was not on the car when it was crash tested so it cannot be sold on the car.
Right, but I'm not sure how that affects warranty? Crashes do not equal warrantable repairs :)

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Right, but I'm not sure how that affects warranty? Crashes do not equal warrantable repairs :)
I was explaining why it's not on the car. It's designed for the race track only. You can use your imagine why something designed for the race track might have an effect on warranty coverage.

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
I was explaining why it's not on the car. It's designed for the race track only. You can use your imagine why something designed for the race track might have an effect on warranty coverage.
I think Ford will be reasonably liberal in covering warranty claims on the Boss as they've marketed it as a track car you can drive on the street. The testing they did on the motor was unbelievable and I think they're pretty confident it will hold up to track use. They've given me two clutches (TSB), a transmission (TSB), two alternators, electric fan, driver's side mirror, front LCAs (TSB) and a gas tank already on my GT500 and the dealer knows I track my car.

wow cloud....you got your monies worth.

GA

1 BULLITT said:
The list is a summary on why Mustang SEs are such a baragain.

All those goodies without having to pay twice. And with warranty.

That is why the only Mustang that can replace my '08 Bullitt is a 2012 Boss, which I am going to have to give up to get one. The Bullitt was an engineer's car like the new Boss is.

updated the list to include the anti-roll bar sizes

atrain1975

Can somebody please explain what a "Race Inspired Clutch" really is? Do clutches respond to inspiration? "Let's generate some friction, boys, hooah!"

Since most of us who bought or want to buy the Boss can understand mechanically on some level how clutches differ from one another, it would have been nice for Ford to state how the clutch is different mechanically and not spiritually.

atrain1975 said:
Can somebody please explain what a "Race Inspired Clutch" really is? Do clutches respond to inspiration? "Let's generate some friction, boys, hooah!"

Since most of us who bought or want to buy the Boss can understand mechanically on some level how clutches differ from one another, it would have been nice for Ford to state how the clutch is different mechanically and not spiritually.

I dont know the technicality of it but I can tell you from experience that it grabs near the middle of the pedal but rather spread across a short travel distance ie : to be subtle you have to dose it carefully ( comes with experience) and is nothing like the very progressive GT clutch that I drove before buying the Boss. when you drive 'spirited-ly' its actually much better, but for trafic jams its more touchy ie less progressive.

MoscowBoss

BOSS 771
NC USA
atrain1975 said:

A bit of detail on the clutch, but not much.
"A heavy-duty flywheel and clutch assembly uses upgraded high-friction material." Here is a link to some other information and photos on what makes the BOSS different.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/11/19/2012-mustang-boss-302-sticker-wheel-package/

Here's a partial list I had in my "BOSS 302" folder on my desktop.

It looks a lot like yours, probably missing a few items. I welcome any corrections:

ENGINE/DRIVE TRAIN
Race-spec camshaft and bearings
Twin, independent variable camshaft timing
Torsen 3.73 limited slip differential
Beefed up clutch
Short-shift gear box
CNC machined intake, exhaust ports and combustion chamber.
High strength aluminum, CNC ported (exhaust and intake) heads
Forged pistons and rods
Heavy-duty valve springs
Sodium filled exhaust valves
Lightened valve components to withstand higher RPMs
Daytona type intake manifold
Quad exhaust
Improved oil delivery to include cooling system and baffling (8 quarts synthetic)

SUSPENSION/STEERING/CHASIS
Five position, driver adjustable shocks and struts
Improved larger front and rear stabilizers
Performance rated coil springs
Improved, stiffer suspension bushings
Re-tuned speed-sensitive electric steering system – three adjustable settings
Four piston Brembo braking system with performance pads, vented brake shields and reinforced brake-lines
Aerodynamic racing splitter
Lower ride height (11mm front, 1mm rear)
19" lightweight painted aluminum wheels w/ Pirelli P-Zeros (staggered - 9" front/10" rear)
Track key: Via the PCM, automatically adjusts 400 parameters to racetrack calibration

PERFORMANCE
444 HP - with no turbo/forced induction

7,500 RPM redline (stable to 8,400)

M3 KILLER said:
Here's a partial list I had in my "BOSS 302" folder on my desktop.

It looks a lot like yours, probably missing a few items. I welcome any corrections:

ENGINE/DRIVE TRAIN
Race-spec camshaft and bearings
Twin, independent variable camshaft timing
Torsen 3.73 limited slip differential
Beefed up clutch
Short-shift gear box
CNC machined intake, exhaust ports and combustion chamber.
High strength aluminum, CNC ported (exhaust and intake) heads
Forged pistons and rods
Heavy-duty valve springs
Sodium filled exhaust valves
Lightened valve components to withstand higher RPMs
Daytona type intake manifold
Quad exhaust
Improved oil delivery to include cooling system and baffling (8 quarts synthetic)

SUSPENSION/STEERING/CHASIS
Five position, driver adjustable shocks and struts
Improved larger front and rear stabilizers
Performance rated coil springs
Improved, stiffer suspension bushings
Re-tuned speed-sensitive electric steering system – three adjustable settings
Four piston Brembo braking system with performance pads, vented brake shields and reinforced brake-lines
Aerodynamic racing splitter
Lower ride height (11mm front, 1mm rear)
19" lightweight painted aluminum wheels w/ Pirelli P-Zeros (staggered - 9" front/10" rear)
Track key: Via the PCM, automatically adjusts 400 parameters to racetrack calibration

PERFORMANCE
444 HP - with no turbo/forced induction

7,500 RPM redline (stable to 8,400)

It also has a forged crank. and all bearings are race spec in the motor.

TMO Supporting Vendors