The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

315 R6s on all four corners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is anyone running 315s on all four corners with Koni Yellow struts? A friend of mine has them on Koni coilovers and 18 x 10.5 +47 Enkeis and they look like they tuck inside the fender better. I'm using 18 x 10.5 +38s with a 1/4" spacer and I have about 1/4" to the strut body. I can't tell whether they're going to rub the fenders. The tires are worn out so I could just go out and street drive them a little bit to test.

20141108_130938_zpsa42818b4.jpg

20141108_131008_zpsa6cac535.jpg

IMG951547_zpsd4175dcf.png

One word:

CorteX offset front coil overs. ;)

Stangzilla 315s all the way around with Penske coil overs

http://vid1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff398/blacksheep-2/10661610_92578010410video2261_552217592_n_zps1jw2kcqa.mp4

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
blacksheep-1 said:
Stangzilla 315s all the way around with Penske coil overs

http://vid1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff398/blacksheep-2/10661610_92578010410video2261_552217592_n_zps1jw2kcqa.mp4

More stuff out of reach.... ;-) Anyone have 8K - 10K they don't know what to do with for Penske's ??? ::)

PeteInCT said:
More stuff out of reach.... ;-) Anyone have 8K - 10K they don't know what to do with for Penske's ??? ::)

I just mentioned them because they happen to be on the car, I'm assuming most coil overs are the same approximate size.

blacksheep-1 said:
I just mentioned them because they happen to be on the car, I'm assuming most coil overs are the same approximate size.
The blue car above has Koni coilovers, so coilovers must be a smaller diameter than a standard MacPherson strut setup like I have with the P springs and Koni Yellow dampers?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The wheel/tire will follow an arc as the suspension compresses, so you're going to gain some margin there. More (negative) camber will help this as well, but you get the trade off of adding (negative) camber for clearance vs. optimal camber for tire wear/lap times.

One thing you might look into is rolling your fenders to gain additional clearance. Appearance will be stock afterwards.

ArizonaBOSS said:
The wheel/tire will follow an arc as the suspension compresses, so you're going to gain some margin there.
I am wondering if I can "test" that by some street driving or even backing at an angle down the driveway entrance with one tire on the entrance and one on the street. Not sure it will compress enough to know though.....

Cloud9, I run 315 A6's with no rub. Same wheels and offset, but with Penske's. No rubbing and my side view looks the same as yours.

Dave

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
iDrive said:
Cloud9, I run 315 A6's with no rub. Same wheels and offset, but with Penske's. No rubbing and my side view looks the same as yours.

Dave

How many runs do you get out of those tires?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
The blue car above has Koni coilovers, so coilovers must be a smaller diameter than a standard MacPherson strut setup like I have with the P springs and Koni Yellow dampers?

Technically, you HAVE coil-overs (coil-over = coil sitting over the shock or strut shaft) ;)

For adjustable ride height coil-overs, you gain clearance in a couple of ways:
1. the lower spring perch is usually the same size as the OD of the spring. In most cases a 2.25", 2.5" or 60mm spring is going to have a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller OD than a 5" OEM style spring
2. the spring itself can be shorter, allowing the spring to sit up higher than an OEM mount style providing more clearance

I've had 315s on 11's in the front without issue (1/4" spacer just to be safe). Mostly depends on the offset of the wheel and the size of the spacer. You know I can't stand when wheels hang out past the fenders :)

JScheier said:
Technically, you HAVE coil-overs (coil-over = coil sitting over the shock or strut shaft) ;)

For adjustable ride height coil-overs, you gain clearance in a couple of ways:
1. the lower spring perch is usually the same size as the OD of the spring. In most cases a 2.25", 2.5" or 60mm spring is going to have a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller OD than a 5" OEM style spring
2. the spring itself can be shorter, allowing the spring to sit up higher than an OEM mount style providing more clearance

I've had 315s on 11's in the front without issue (1/4" spacer just to be safe). Mostly depends on the offset of the wheel and the size of the spacer. You know I can't stand when wheels hang out past the fenders :)
Yea you're right technically :) And I guess I knew they were smaller in diameter since I had Koni coilovers (Griggs) on my last Mustang, just didn't realize they were half the OD.

Do you have a true coilover or a spring/damper like mine? In the pictures above I have a 1/4" spacer and only 6-7mm clearance to the damper so I can't tuck them inside anymore by going to an 1/8" spacer without rubbing on the inside.

I guess I'll either just have to try it like this and see if it rubs the fender or break down and spend some GT350R mod money on the Boss to upgrade the coilovers this winter.......

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
Yea you're right technically :) And I guess I knew they were smaller in diameter since I had Koni coilovers (Griggs) on my last Mustang, just didn't realize they were half the OD.

Do you have a true coilover or a spring/damper like mine?

True coil-over

In the pictures above I have a 1/4" spacer and only 6-7mm clearance to the damper so I can't tuck them inside anymore by going to an 1/8" spacer without rubbing on the inside. I guess I'll either just have to try it like this and see if it rubs the fender or break down and spend some GT350R mod money on the Boss to upgrade the coilovers this winter.......

If you don't need new dampers, I'm pretty sure you can cut the perches off the front struts and use a Maximum Motorsports conversion kit to turn them into height-adjustable coil-overs. Give them a call and see what they have. I used their kit many years ago (front and rear) on some Konis... worked very well.

JScheier said:
True coil-over

If you don't need new dampers, I'm pretty sure you can cut the perches off the front struts and use a Maximum Motorsports conversion kit to turn them into height-adjustable coil-overs. Give them a call and see what they have. I used their kit many years ago (front and rear) on some Konis... worked very well.

Which brings to mind "low buck coil overs" in Rob's Garage

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I might end up going this route to run 315s at NASA Nationals next year. That would mean I've gotta buy a set of PF01s or Vorshlag 18x11 Forgestars. We'll see...

TMO Supporting Vendors