The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watson Racing Roll Bar for 2015+ S550 Mustang and GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just in time for those of you ordering GT350's.

http://shop.watsonracing.com/2015-Mustang-S550-4-Point-Roll-Bar-p/wr-15-boltincage.htm

10968217_611675048963144_1382091357090211798_n.jpg

Re: Watson Racing Roll Bar for 2015+ Mustang and GT350

Can we get enough interest to get another Group Buy going? Im in.

VooDooBOSS said:
I'm working on it but it won't happen until early next year.

Fine by me since tracks in the NW are wet until April/May :) Im interested in a package deal with the backseat delete kit.

And photos from Black Boss's WR roll bar install. One of the first in a GT350R.

Rear mounting plates are substantial:

IMG_2001_zps2gudbvjj.jpg

They mount to a reinforced portion of the rear floor pan -- note factory spot welds to the right:

IMG_1999_zps4pt0a5wg.jpg

Minor trimming of the rear trim panel and RSD panel was required for the main hoop:

IMG_2002_zpsva8qvrfe.jpg

And obviously holes are required in the RSD panel for the rear supports:

IMG_2003_zpstvk4ds3h.jpg

Black Boss said:
One more note on the install:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10457.msg152188#msg152188
Looks great 8) Now that they've finished yours, they're finalizing the installation instructions so I can tear into mine!

20151207_175255_zpsdpilnc5u.jpg

VooDooBOSS said:
@cloud9 what did the UPS man bring you today? ;D
Two brown boxes ;D I haven't opened it up yet. My shipping manager just commented about how light the boxes were and I just said GOOD! Waiting for the install instructions for the bar so I can get started.

krt22 said:
Cloud9, are you going to get the watson rear seat delete or just leave the passage open?
Sorry, the answer is yes, it just arrived. Talking to Patrick it sounds like the leading edge where the edge of the seats would be is fastened with Velcro instead of bolts on the S550. He said it's just too difficult to drill that part of the chassis with this hardened steel they are using. It will be fine though since that's the way the kit I had on the Boss worked.

Hey Cloud 9,

Have you installed your Watson Roll Bar yet? I have installed mine but I have not cut the holes in my RSD for the back bars that attach in the trunk. I am a little nervous about cutting these holes without a little more guidance. I got the Ford OEM RSD and it was expensive and don't want to screw it up. I am trying to figure a way to transfer the line of the bars onto the RSD.

Cobra Guy said:
Hey Cloud 9,

Have you installed your Watson Roll Bar yet? I have installed mine but I have not cut the holes in my RSD for the back bars that attach in the trunk. I am a little nervous about cutting these holes without a little more guidance. I got the Ford OEM RSD and it was expensive and don't want to screw it up. I am trying to figure a way to transfer the line of the bars onto the RSD.
No, unfortunately I'm still waiting for them to send the install instructions. Did you get instructions for the S550 and just go off of those? Patrick said the delay is incorporating the instructions for the RSD.....which I DO NOT need since I bought Watson's RSD kit. I emailed him again today about getting the instructions so I can get going. Patience is starting to wear out........

Do these bars have any certification? Are they regular steel or chromoly?

I like the RPM bars, although a little more expensive they are certified and 1/2 the weight in chromoly.

I have a 6 point bar coming and it weighs in between 37 - 39 lbs. custom painted to match or powder coated.

I don't see a S550 roll bar on the RPM website. The WR bar was designed with Ford Engineers to make sure attachment points are in the strongest possible locations. WR makes Ford's Cobra Jet and Boss 302S and GT350R-S race cars so I'm pretty comfortable with their design. They use TIG-welded 1.75”x.120”-wall DOM tubing. I like the idea of a lighter bar if it provides the same or better margin of safety. ;D

http://shop.watsonracing.com/2015-Mustang-S550-4-Point-Roll-Bar-p/wr-15-boltincage.htm

Its a certified bar, meaning it is up to standard for most track rulings. They have the S550 bars and are working on adding them to the site. I understand they have a GT350 in their shop right now to fit/tweak, and also available. I'm sure both bars are great, I just like to save weight wherever I can...makes up a bit for where I'm slow in other areas. LOL

I'll post more once it gets here. :)

Cobra Guy said:
Hey Cloud 9,

A friend of mine suggested the following. It's what he did on his car a few years ago.......

"A good way to make the holes perfect is to get a cardboard tube the same diameter as the down tube. Then you can match the angle needed and cut the pattern to butt up against the RSD and mark the holes for cutting. My holes were a weird shape due to the odd angle but if you remember they fit perfectly around the tube."

That's a good idea. Patrick used a piece of pvc pipe. I tried this but the inside diameter of the pipe was too large. Tried wrapping tape around the nubs on the main loop but still too much play for me to feel I was getting a good line. I will try the cardboard tube which I just happen to have from Christmas wrapping paper. Thanks

PM me if you want me to walk you through the roll bar install.

Patrick sent me the install instructions and they are great. Very detailed with lots of photos. It looks pretty straightforward and I'm going to get started this weekend. I'll also test fit Mike's sub-belt bracket for those of you waiting on that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel