The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Forgestar F14 18 x 11 Wheels Front versus Rear Fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have two sets of these wheels shipping hopefully this week so I have them for BIR next weekend. It doesn't sound like they're marked "FRONT" or "REAR" nor do they have offsets marked on them.. I'm using 295s up front and 315s in the back so need to make sure I get them mounted to the correct wheels. Does anyone have these wheels and know how to identify which ones are front versus rear? Vorschlag keeps their offsets "proprietary" so I don't know which wheel has more offset. I'm guessing it's the rears because the fronts need to be pushed further from the strut. Any help distinguishing them from someone who is using these would be appreciated since I'm going to be running short on time and may not have time to mess with test fitting them before mounting tires.

Forgestar F14 Mesh Wheel, 18x11", PCD: 5x114.3,
Color: Flat Black, Fitment: S197 Mustang FRONT

Forgestar F14 Mesh Wheel, 18x11", PCD: 5x114.3,
Color: Flat Black, Fitment: S197 Mustang REAR

Grant 302 said:
I think it's the rears which have more offset, but if you take measurements for me then I'll confirm it. ;)
In other words, the fronts will sit outboard further than the rears? Let me know where to measure to and from. Inside of rim to hub?

neema said:
The fronts should have around ~20mm less backspacing.
Perfect. Just to confirm, that means if I measure from the inside of the wheel to the hub, the front hubs will be 20mm closer to the inside edge of the wheel than the rears.

Correct. From the inside rim surface to the hub pad (aka backspace measurement). Rears will have ~8" of backspacing, fronts somewhere around 7-7.2" backspacing

So the fronts will have more mass in the hub area and you can use that to identify them?

06mach1 said:
Rears have 8 1/4" backspacing and fronts have 7 3/8".
Great, thanks for all the info guys. Makes it easy. The hard part now is going to be getting them here by next Wednesday. Damn port strike. Glad they widened the Panama Canal so we don't have to be held hostage by the CA dock workers every few years.......

In for pics of the new shoes mounted up on the pumpkin, Gary... Playing around with track wheel & tire options myself... Thinking the F14s in an 18x10 front, 18x11 rear may be the ticket for me for a while.

Z20WHAT said:
In for pics of the new shoes mounted up on the pumpkin, Gary... Playing around with track wheel & tire options myself... Thinking the F14s in an 18x10 front, 18x11 rear may be the ticket for me for a while.
You got it. Just got a call yesterday that they were shipping so shouldn't be long. I won't have them for BIR this weekend but will get tires mounted up for NASA event mid-May.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Dude..WHAT PAGE ARE THE PICS ON???
I'm afraid patience is in order. :) I just dropped them off to mount tires but may not get them on the car until next weekend for the NASA event the following weekend.

Z20WHAT said:
I test fit the wheels today. I will be running a 1/4" spacer front and rear. At the front it leaves me with about 1/8" clearance to the strut with a 295/30/18 Hoosier R7 to the rim protector on the tire. I am going to use a 1/4" in the rear just to maintain the track with the front wheels. I did have to remove my inner fender liners in the rear otherwise I would be rubbing them.

I think I'm going to accomplish my goal of increasing the contact patch with the wider wheels on the same sized tires. The first picture is a stack of R7s 295 & 315 on the 11" Forgestars and the other stack is 305 & 315 Pirelli Slicks on 9.5" and 10.5" wheels. The Forgestar stack is a full 3" taller!

20150502_084613_zpsznyvxkdm.jpg

20150503_132820_zpsityouipw.jpg

20150503_132830_zpst36ab28v.jpg

20150503_132851_zps4liqsyd7.jpg

20150503_132858_zpsc10so5ys.jpg

cloud9 said:
I test fit the wheels today. I will be running a 1/4" spacer front and rear. At the front it leaves me with about 1/8" clearance to the strut with a 295/30/18 Hoosier R7 to the rim protector on the tire. I am going to use a 1/4" in the rear just to maintain the track with the front wheels. I did have to remove my inner fender liners in the rear otherwise I would be rubbing them.

I think I'm going to accomplish my goal of increasing the contact patch with the wider wheels on the same sized tires. The first picture is a stack of R7s 295 & 315 on the 11" Forgestars and the other stack is 305 & 315 Pirelli Slicks on 9.5" and 10.5" wheels. The Forgestar stack is a full 3" taller!

20150502_084613_zpsznyvxkdm.jpg

20150503_132820_zpsityouipw.jpg

20150503_132830_zpst36ab28v.jpg

20150503_132851_zps4liqsyd7.jpg

20150503_132858_zpsc10so5ys.jpg

Looks great. These tires are definitely pinched especially on the 9.5" wheels. Be interesting to see how your times improve with the wider contact patch.

RPM (Formerly MAM) in a couple weeks will be a good test. It's a 2.3 mile very technical track where decreasing radius cornering matters more than BIR or RA. At some point I wonder if the rolling mass eats into straightaway speeds at big tracks like RA or BIR? These things are steamrollers :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel