The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watkins Glen 21-23 JUN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ran this event last year and signed up to run it again this year. It's with a Porsche Club, but anyone can sign up. Three days for about $400 with about 3 - 30 minute sessions per day. We had 4 Boss's last year, hopefully we can get a few out there to run down those Porsche's this year. Here is a link to registration page.

http://pcapotomac.motorsportreg.com/

That's cool. I'll try and leave a good coat of rubber on the track for you. 8)

Maybe we'll run into each other some other time. I'll actually be at the Glen on Monday for a trackmaster event.

I'm up in Rochester so I'm about 1&1/2 hours from the track.

I live about an hour+ south of you near the big city of Bliss (population: a LOT more cows than people). When I go to the Glen I head south and come up from Painted Post. Takes me little less than 2 hours to get to the track.

No other Bosses showed up but I did run into a fellow Mustang driver who has a 2013 Brembo GT. He was nice enough to take some video of my Boss going around the track. Had a lot of fun running down the Porsche's and learned a couple of lessons along the way.

1. Don't trust your fuel gauge at the track. Was reading just under a half tank before my last 1/2 hour session and RAN OUT OF GAS ON TRACK. Pretty much crapped my pants when I lost power coming out of the toe, eventually realized I had run out of gas, felt like an idiot, but was relieved it wasn't something more serious.

2. Get tow hooks. It was the last session of the day and when the tow truck driver showed up he said any attempt to tow vs. pull me off the track would probably tear up my front splitter. He was a Mustang guy and was nice enough to drive me to the paddock where I was able to borrow some gas to drive her in.

3. Our strut cross brace could be used to tow the car in if no tow hooks are on the car. I only learned this later.

My instructor said I was lucky cause I learned a couple of lessons for free. He said in the future lessons will usually end up costing me money, so I should appreciate the free lessons whenever I get them.

Here are 2 laps of video taken from the Brembo GT. I have the full 30 minutes including the part where he passes my out of fuel car and you can hear an UH OH, but I wasn't able to upload the file onto YouTube due to it's size, may try again later. Overall was pretty comfortable with the Boss other than an unsettled transition from turn 2 - 3 in the esses, and a push under acceleration thru the apex of turn 8. Otherwise the car did everything I asked it to.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEdHmCbST0c[/youtube]

Hermes said:
Here are 2 laps of video taken from the Brembo GT. I have the full 30 minutes including the part where he passes my out of fuel car and you can hear an UH OH, but I wasn't able to upload the file onto YouTube due to it's size, may try again later. Overall was pretty comfortable with the Boss other than an unsettled transition from turn 2 - 3 in the esses, and a push under acceleration thru the apex of turn 8. Otherwise the car did everything I asked it to.

I know that feeling well (on stock suspension and street tires). Next time you're there try holding the car straight for a fraction of second longer before you turn in to #3. It seemed to help settle the rear end. There is so much more banking there than it appears and it's up hill so even though it makes you pucker, there is little chance of losing control even at WOT. Just don't lift the throttle and get the rear end light. With slicks that feeling goes away entirely.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
PeteInCT said:
Hermes,

When it says 1/4 tank left you are done. Now you know first hand ;-)

-Pete

That is VERY good to know... I will make sure I remember this for the first time I get my car out there !

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
First time mine hiccupped I was pretty worried, as had just a needles width over 1/4 tank. Found out you have to keep the Bosses tank full to reap the best rewards. It sloshes around though , so always have been able to get back to the paddock!

Hermes, did you ever post your impressions of the Rival tires?

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5285.msg89145#msg89145

No I never got the Rivals, shipping date kept getting delayed, then I fried one of my stock Pirelli's at the track. Had another track event coming up and had to get something quick. I ended up getting Nitto NT01's in 275 / 35 -18 and 305 / 35 - 18. Anyway I liked the Nitto's when I ran the at Watkins Glen in late June. May consider the Rivals when the Nitto's wear out depending on how well the Nitto's wear.

TMO Supporting Vendors