The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear brake caliper additional bracket reinforcement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am talking about the black painted thick sheetmetal plate attached to the rear end housing tube and reinforcing the rear brake cast bracket (actually sandwiched between the caliper bolt heads and the cast bracket...if that makes sense to you) :)
Did anybody remove those?
I know Ford say it's there to stabilize the caliper attachment but just asking...
I think it looks like a cheap patch for a bad engineered part.

splash_1.jpg

Can be seen in this photo. Please, disregard the notations.

Sounds like a bad idea to remove something that helps a "bad(ly) engineered part," especially a part of the braking system.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
That plate is just a dust shield. I don't see any structural value. The bracket that the shield is attached to, has all the strength it needs. Mine are off on both cars.

Grant 302 said:
That plate is just a dust shield. I don't see any structural value. The bracket that the shield is attached to, has all the strength it needs. Mine are off on both cars.

The OP is talking about the S-shaped piece of black plate metal behind the (rusty) brake caliper mounting bracket.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
its officially called an "anti-moan" bracket. they have used these since the rear discs appearance in the 94 mustang (they were not there on the original rear disc brake mustang, the SVO). i assume it does a perfectly fine job since i don't hear any moaning. i have heard of noise issues with not installing these brackets for those who have retrofitted these brakes onto older mustangs.

i seriously doubt it has any structural relevance, as the cast iron plate the caliper is bolted to looks plenty stout. but i can see that it may very well reduce harmonics, so i would leave it where it is.

pufferfish said:
its officially called an "anti-moan" bracket. they have used these since the rear discs appearance in the 94 mustang (they were not there on the original rear disc brake mustang, the SVO). i assume it does a perfectly fine job since i don't hear any moaning. i have heard of noise issues with not installing these brackets for those who have retrofitted these brakes onto older mustangs.

i seriously doubt it has any structural relevance, as the cast iron plate the caliper is bolted to looks plenty stout. but i can see that it may very well reduce harmonics, so i would leave it where it is.
That makes sense.
It's an ugly fix though ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel