The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 ‘20 HEP-R Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Congrats on the Classic Colored R, soon she will have her own " Heritage " running through the hills of Kentucky. Plenty of data here on rims, tires, camber settings, etc. , because it takes very little for a GT 350 to intimidate others at the track. Don't discount running an Autocross once in awhile, as the GT 350 is very competitive in it's stock Class , and if you hang huge meats on it , you will do quite well running it in Regional CAM-C competition.

Great looking car, and I really like the color, ha!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
Congrats on the Classic Colored R, soon she will have her own " Heritage " running through the hills of Kentucky. Plenty of data here on rims, tires, camber settings, etc. , because it takes very little for a GT 350 to intimidate others at the track. Don't discount running an Autocross once in awhile, as the GT 350 is very competitive in it's stock Class , and if you hang huge meats on it , you will do quite well running it in Regional CAM-C competition.

Great looking car, and I really like the color, ha!
Thank you for the greeting. I didn't know this forum existed until it populated during a search for a "square" setup. I am trying to find the best solution for "cold" weather (30-50 F) wheels/tires for December-February, as well as a track square setup. So many questions which I haven't found clear answers to related to wheel options for the street when cold and the track that is easily rotated, so I thought this place might help more.
I haven't searched the old threads yet, so I don't expect answers to my thoughts in this thread.

This car is my first real sports car (my '86 Mustang GT when I was 18 doesn't count, nor does the current Yamaha YZF-R1), so I don't have a good "seat of the pants" reference to its capabilities vs other cars beyond reviews and my own personal "Jesus, this car seems glued to the road and flat as a board in these turns!" It is incredible. My wife giggles when I pull hard out of turns and the engine opens up.

As far as track time, Mid-Ohio Raceway and the Corvette museum's track (NCM Motorsports Park) in Bowling Green, KY are each ~ 3 hrs from me, so I am looking forward to that in a few months. I can get to Road Atlanta and the motorsports park north of town. I would love to drive COTA...just so many avenues.

I will also be searching the forum for great driving schools. I am calling FPRS today about scheduling my complimentary day. Right now the month of March is wide open...then not again until mid-July. Charlotte Motor Speedway. If you have any recommendations on which time of the year is best I would appreciate them? I think I would prefer the slightly cooler time of late March-April 1, but I don't want the day impacted by rain. July seems like it would be really hot and make the tire slippery (that is pure speculation).

Anyway, again, thank you for the greeting

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Thank you for the greeting. I didn't know this forum existed...
Be sure to invite any other track rats (or soon to be track rats) you know from other communities to join you here. We've got a great group of people here with a massive amount of experience and knowledge, which they're happy to share with beginners.

Welcome, glad to have you aboard. Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you're going to have a lot of good times with that car. 🤘

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hmmm...........I thought your machine was yellow Blacksheep, does the picture above mean it was just a wrap?? You may be the " Tire Guru" but are we to find out your are also a " Wrap Artist?"

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
I hate you (not really 😂😂😂)

the 2020 HE - R is the BEST looking R they have made
Beauty and "eye of the beholder" and all that.😁

There were a LOT of colors I considered from '17-20; some mostly for the best deal, and I struggled with the color from day one. I started looking 11 months ago and went in circles looking for and thinking about what colors I would accept to get the best deal. It started with the base '17/18 and some of those great colors and others I was less enthusiastic about, then shifted to '19+ for the build changes to the base model while slowly considering the extra $ for the R. Then it was 50/50 R vs base in Red w/white (bold and classic), FP blue w/white or black (subtle and showed lines well) and Kona blue w/white or black. Then I saw the Wimbledon in pictures and in person and dug the contrasted subtle white w/black accents on the plastics and wheels. Admittedly, as much as I like the Wimbledon/Guardsman for its outright esthetics, I also feel a slight tug due to its heritage. Ultimately, it took my wife telling me to just get the car I wanted so I didn't have regrets...so here we are.

Beauty and "eye of the beholder" and all that.😁

There were a LOT of colors I considered from '17-20; some mostly for the best deal, and I struggled with the color from day one. I started looking 11 months ago and went in circles looking for and thinking about what colors I would accept to get the best deal. It started with the base '17/18 and some of those great colors and others I was less enthusiastic about, then shifted to '19+ for the build changes to the base model while slowly considering the extra $ for the R. Then it was 50/50 R vs base in Red w/white (bold and classic), FP blue w/white or black (subtle and showed lines well) and Kona blue w/white or black. Then I saw the Wimbledon in pictures and in person and dug the contrasted subtle white w/black accents on the plastics and wheels. Admittedly, as much as I like the Wimbledon/Guardsman for its outright esthetics, I also feel a slight tug due to its heritage. Ultimately, it took my wife telling me to just get the car I wanted so I didn't have regrets...so here we are.

my only 2 other favorites is grabber blue R, no racing stripes, or 18 leadfoot grey R no stripes

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel