The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

05-10 3v Power Steering Cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA
Hello all,

I have a 2008 3v mustang that I have a considerable amount of track time in. On three separate occasions, I have seen other 3v owners boil their P.S. fluid or burn out their power steering pump while out on track. These cars all had large tires (285+ width). Ambient temps weren't even that hot (80F or less).

I'm currently on 255's, and have not had power steering issues. However, I wanted to hear from people here if they have experienced these issues, and what they did to rectify it. I also want to know if any of you have installed the following:

11's and 315's are in my future, so I figure i'd rather get the P.S. system sorted sooner rather than later.

Thank You

I lost my pump recently on my 2005. I’m replacing it this weekend with a motorcraft rebuild and adding a power steering cooler. I contemplated getting the fr500 one but I think it may be a bit of overkill.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I put a small transmission cooler on the left side frame rail behind the fender liner. That was more than enough. Its not in direct air flow but there must be enough. That loop of hard line at the bottom of the radiator is the factory cooler.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel