The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

07 GT Coyote Conversion hits 505 on the Dyno

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So after a long swap and junkyard engine build along with a 6 month hiatus because of just disgust she is back running, tuned and making power!!

Started out as a open track daily driver 3v and instead of spending money for bolt ons and being down 100hp to start with the 3v as well as knowing I would have to do some minor engine work to the 3v I decided to go with a coyote swap as the work was really the same, the cost of exhaust and such was the same.

I knew I would be doing bolt ons so the intake and headers were a no brainer to install as it was going in.

Everything was bought second hand from Facebook market place with almost all parts locally picked up. There is a really great guy here that specializes in parting out coyotes so I was able to get a few heavier items from him.
The headers were new and never installed but the guy left them out in the weather for a year and the coating was rusted so I blasted them and then ceramic coated them myself. Those and the 3" X-pipe were $300.00

I scored a set of Boss 302 Recaro's from him as well and let me tell you if you don't have a set and spend any time on the track GET THEM.

So the basics: Junk yard F150 Gen2 rebuild with GT350 oil pan and pump with billet gears, PBH conversion harness and AC bracket, Long tube headers, 2018 intake with Ford racing 90mm TB, JLT 110MM cold air.
Kept the TR3650 because it was almost new and already in the car.
I sourced the electric rack locally and drilled the K member for the conversion so it plugged into the harness so there was no need for a pulley system and weird AC setup.

Fuel system requiring a return style I used a Corvette inline fuel filter that literally plugged in and then ran a return line back to the hat and a 380LPH replacement fuel pump, stock injectors and a 93pump tune.IMG_0308.JPEG

THE CAR:IMG_0124.JPEG
The RESULTS:
506.jpg

OPEN WIDE:
IMG_1445.JPEG

Don't Judge a book:
IMG_0308.JPEG

Take a deep breath:
IMG_0972.JPEG
Keeping it Stiff:
Xbrace.jpeg
Coated X-pipe with Resonators and she is still too loud:

IMG_1528.jpeg

I installed intake cams, CJ intake, TB, electric WP, LTH, no A/C and a 100 octane race tune by a very well-known and reputable tuner and got 475 whp. Even with slightly better flowing heads I can't understand how you got 500 to the wheels on 93 octane with those mods. I'm getting a Gen3 Aluminator with E85 and stock Boss heads and same bolt-ons as you and my tuner thinks 500 is "possible" so I'm confused.

Tried to edit the original post after but it would only let me do the title and not add anything:
So motor is a rebuilt Gen 2 with ported heads, L&M intake with CJ 290 exhaust cams, stock 18 intake manifold and Ford Racing 90mm Throttle body which people seem to dismiss a lot. Tune was only a 93 pump with no option for E85 so "supposedly" there is 20hp in that but access to E85 on a regular basis is completely unpractical.
I'm actually a bit disappointed as there are a lot of Gen2's going well over 500 with bolt on's

Sorry for the confusion: The heads are Gen 2 CNC ported and flow over 300 cfm
IMG_0801.JPG

Ports:
IMG_0800.JPEG
IMG_0800.JPEG

Gen 1 vs GEN 2 intake ports, notice port size and angle of runners to mirror Boss 302
IMG_0795.JPEG
completed valve job:
IMG_1004.JPEG
And running Cobra Jet exhaust cams and L&M intake:
IMG_1288.JPEG

Ok, that makes more sense now. I recently blew up my Gen 1 Boss motor with the mods as I mentioned and was looking for advice. You can read my post in the Road Racing thread as there was a lot of discussion on the merits of cams, head porting, fuel type, etc. I had some interest in exhaust cams and head porting but some feel there is nothing substantial to gain with either. I looked for CJ exhaust cams but they have been discontinued. If the gain with exhaust cams was substantial I would pull the trigger but I'm hesitant now. If I could get 500 rwhp on 93 with exhaust cams I would do it as it would save me from investing in race E85.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors