The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

#1 '13

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's not mine. :D

HOWEVER, bossmustangsonline's very own Kato64 (In Canada) is proud owner of number 1!

He announced this in the tracking thread but I thought it deserved its own thread as many people don't read that thread. Congrats again Kato! ;D

IMG_1716.jpg

Congratulations Kato. Now will he cash in on his good fortune?

He has a serious debate on his hands. Like myself, I know he has been waiting for this car for nearly 2 years now, it would be hard to part with it. On the other hand if he can do what Shane accomplished and effectively sell it at 2X to get a Boss for "Free", that's pretty tempting.

Re: #1 '13 S

We know who has #1, the next question is who will have the last Boss 302 ever built. These numbers on the intake make it easier than in 1970. My neighbor has a 1970 GB Boss 302 that was built on the final day of Boss production at DAP, but it's 1 of 6 built that day. And there's no way of finding out if his was the 1st one built that day, the last one, or in between.

I'd put that up for auction IMMEDIATELY. I'm not a millionaire either :)

Like others said, if it was bought with the intention of actually driving it it makes more sense to just sell this and get another Boss.

I'm also wondering who has #302. I was kind of hoping to get that given my build date. I got close at #315.

5 DOT 0 said:
Just in time for the June Barrett Jackson auction in OC.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/how-to-consign-a-vehicle/

I'd stay away from BJ as it's not a reserve auction. If he wants to put it up for auction I'd do Meecham as it's a reserve. I'd also list it in the Dupont Register or Robb Report, serious collectors get them.

IMO I'd keep the car and enjoy it.

While it must be nice to have the 2013 with number 1 on it, there is no way (IMHO) it is worth anything near the 2012 number 1. It is afterall the 4001st Boss built, give or take.

The 13 that will be worth the most (I think) will be the very last one built.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This is all in the eyes of the collector. While it will be cool to have #13 of 2013 ( I have #12 of the 2012s), it is likely all in the perception of someone looking for a special number. #302 will be cool, of course, but the #1 or last number is a real quandry. We had some very limited Vipers and the excitement over the last and the first was about equal. Whereas we all have our own opinions , the one split between my collector ( business ) friends really varies over first and last.

There are guys out there that will be just as concerned to have #15 since it was Parnelli's number and it then becomes apparent that certain numbers hold appeal to many for varying reasons.

I would say that it is quite likely the very first and the very last would be the most sought after numbers, but I would not discount the very first 2013 when the body style had a somewhat dramatic change -- that throws a wrench in the mix, as some folks may just really prefer the looks of one year over the other.

Overall the unique thing is it could be really valuable in Canada, as it is quite rare where any first model makes it to the Provinces first, so that in itself makes it a super special machine in my mind.

Frankly if he sells it it needs to stay there, as there is no warranty coverage in the US , as it is a Canadian Spec car.

I appreciate everyones point of view and am still not 100% sure what I will do. I think selling the car could bring some level of instant gratification, provided I can find a

replacement(not as easy in Canada). However, I think that if I keep it for 25 years like I always planned that I will not have lost any value. Of course there are a lot of

unknowns about that, most importantly how history and car enthusiasts will view the current Boss at that time.

I am not sure you can put a price on owning a car like this for 25 or more years of enjoyment. I have no intention of making it a garage queen or keeping it tucked away for

only a select few to appreciate. I have been a mustang fan my entire adult life. If I keep the car it will be driven like it was intended to be.

kato64 said:
I appreciate everyones point of view and am still not 100% sure what I will do. I think selling the car could bring some level of instant gratification, provided I can find a

replacement(not as easy in Canada).However, I think that if I keep it for 25 years like I always planned that I will not have lost any value. Of course there are a lot of

unknowns about that, most importantly how history and car enthusiasts will view the current Boss at that time.

I am not sure you can put a price on owning a car like this for 25 or more years of enjoyment. I have no intention of making it a garage queen or keeping it tucked away for

only a select few to appreciate. I have been a mustang fan my entire adult life. If I keep the car it will be driven like it was intended to be.
It looks like you have a solid perspective on the situation. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with #1.

JeffIsHereToo said:
Grabber Blue? Well..so much for someone wanting to buy #1 and #2 as a set!

LOL...

And here I thought #2 was most likely the 1st '13 Boss manufactured in GB. ..sorry Jeff :(

SoFlaBoss said:
JeffIsHereToo said:
Grabber Blue? Well..so much for someone wanting to buy #1 and #2 as a set!

LOL...

And here I thought #2 was most likely the 1st '13 Boss manufactured in GB. ..sorry Jeff :(

I did appreciate all the pics of your car. It gave me a very good preview of what mine would look like. We are like twins - one had to be born minutes before the other. :)

kato64 said:
SoFlaBoss said:
I did appreciate all the pics of your car. It gave me a very good preview of what mine would look like. We are like twins - one had to be born minutes before the other. :)

Congrats on the Boss, it is a good thing you plan to use it like intended ;D

Need to see final number but looks somewhat like last year, two orange, two red, then two yellow in that order. 7 was orange and white, 9 the first blue but we still do not know which is first white car.

One thing is for sure, you did get the first 13 production car built this year, some 53 LS Bosses were built before the orange 0001 car.

TMO Supporting Vendors