The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1-2-3-4, I declare pad war! ST43, Carbotech XP??, DTC70, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
In a week or so, I plan to pull the trigger on a brake upgrade of some kind and will need new front pads. Thus I'm reconsidering options.

The ST43 Raybestos has served me well since 2017. I've run it on 220 and 200tw tires. Have been happy with its characteristics, and its longevity.

But I know many who prefer a Carbotech pad. I know there are some Pagid fan boys, so I'm making a list of pros/cons.

DTC70 - Ran the lower compound, the DTC60, for a year. Ultimately, I loved it, but it wore really fast on a 12.45" rotor and sliding caliper - new set every event basically (but that was CMP and Sebring) I expect it would do much better with the cooling I now have + a substantially larger rotor (14 or 15)

I never used them in the rain, but I hear they're a biznitch and corrosive.

If I move to 6 pot brembos, it's literally 40% the cost of my next pad....

ST43.

Went to it for longevity over DTC60, Never looked back. Wears well, was marginally more expensive.

However, with 6 piston brembos, theyll be SO MUCH more expensive.

Carbotech.

Read about the XP10, 12, 24. leaning on one of those if I go that route. I hear they're easy on rotors.

So, is it worth it to save $200 a set of pads by going hawk?

Edit: will likely be staying with Hankook RS-4 for the life of my new pads and even the next set. I thought about going to the ST47 Raybestos, as it apparently pairs well with the ST43 I already have in the back. I just domt want overkill on the brakes for the tires. On the other hand, I have 3700 lbs with me in it pushing this baby forward

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well fine, I feel that I have been put in the Pagid fan boy group:confused:..

Carbotech or Gloc are good options to Hawk pads,,, they last much longer and will not eat your pads for breakfast.... and die quickly in the process...

PFC pads anyone? IMO they do everything they are supposed to, and do it very well.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I used PFC pads way back in the day in endurance racing and they were great. However, their parts finder does not show anything for the PP '16 Mustang other than front rotors. That would seem to be a big oversight given the number of Mustangs running around out here.

In the V6L
PFC pads anyone? IMO they do everything they are supposed to, and do it very well.
I used PFC01's when I first started driving on track. Loved them. Then they came out with a bunch of new products that just didn't work for me, so I switched to Pagid RS19 and RS29 and never went back. I had a set of Raybestos ST-42's at one point and they were great too - noisy though.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
As some one said before, brake pad preferences are incredibly varied..... I tend to choose mine with $$$ on the mind for the season assuming some 20 track days a year.

For example both the Gloc 18 and the Pagid RS 3 are great pads that work about the same at the track.... But the Pagid gives me more track hours and less disc damage.. I know that with two sets of pagid pads I'm fine for the year (including a three hour enduro).. Every penny counts in the end!

Never tried Pfc track pads but only heard good things about them. As usual, good pads are expensive.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I never tried Hawk pads but my friends and competitors did.. They would change track pads at every event. For example 20 track days a year at 900 bucks with two pairs of Pagid. OR... 20 days at $3600 with 20 Hawk pads!!... Not to mention the fact the rotors will be dead MUCH sooner and you will be changing pads all the time.

If you go to the track 3 or 4 times a year, Hawks would make sense.

I have run the DTC 60 and it lasted 2-3 events with my 4 piston brembos. It also decimated my rotors...

I’ve had success with xp20 and gloc r16. A lot of bite, no fade, last 3-4 events for me depending on track.

Have not tried the Pagid, sounds like it may be worth it if they last that long.

Side note, If cost is a factor, I’ve used the powerstop TrackDay pads, they are absurdly Cheap, work pretty well, just don’t last very long. But with limited runs, I’d say it’s the best bag for your buck. You will get 2-3 weekends out of them depending where you run. And they are $230 for a new set front rear (I believe?)

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Spencer you might try G-Loc 18s next time around over the 16s, as you might get another weekend with them. Sounds like you are fairly aggressive, if currently running a 16 and the step up to an 18 might give you even longer life - with more bite and I see no difference in rotor wear.

Lucky guy as you are just down the road from their office over in Mooresville....ought to give them a call and wander over and see their shop?

Love their name , as G-Loc ( loss of consciousness ) is a term concerning the state that can occur with a severe episode of G Forces. Hence, the idea that these pads stop you so quick they could induce a loss of consciousness is a clever marketing name , imho.

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
It's all personal preference now that so many capable compounds are available. This is usually a pointless discussion for that reason ;)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
So true! Like discussing which is the best dog breed! But in general, I love seeing peoples reactions to mustangs braking now days. We had a friendly track day with several fast cars including some Porsches (a GT3 and a GTS). It was fun to have them come over and take pictures of our cars for a change!!! :D..

They could not believe that a Mustang could out brake and out corner them.... (Of course did not tell them of the countless hours and $$$ to get the car to that level, why spoil the fun).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Still remember outbraking a Porsche GT3 at High Plains Raceway ( fantastic Colorado track in cactus and rattlesnake country) years back and when the driver came up to me and asked how the heck my Mustang could brake so deep I told him , " Oh I am running Carbotech 24s and I have 2 piece Girodiscs up front." When he responded , " Oh that is the reason," I bit my lip and smiled politely. I just didn't have the heart , or sportsmanship, to tell him his carbon fiber rotored Porsche was being under used,ha. The fact that Mustangs can brake quite deep , I believe intimidates other makes as they can not figure out how we will make the corner...…… when we do , it is too late and bye, bye for now.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
It's all personal preference now that so many capable compounds are available. This is usually a pointless discussion for that reason

While true to a large extent due to the many choices available, I think the discussion is valuable.

For me, such threads have at least elevated the level of pad that I will now pursue. Not to mention the fact that the discussion always includes other important factors such as brake ducts, fluid, etc.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel