The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1/8 mile pass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I went to a local 1/8 mile track tonight. I used the MGW shifter and M/T D/R's for the 1st time. The M/T's are mounted on stock 19" wheels. The shifter worked great. I never missed a gear power shifting. My 60ft times were awful. I was experimenting with the 2 step with out any success. My best 60ft was 1.96. I didn't use the 2 step on that pass. I just feathered the clutch. I was trying to do a burnout but the 2 step was screwing it up. In retrospect it might be because I put my left foot on the brake lightly to hold the car in the water. I think when my foot tapped the brake it re engaged the 2 step and killed the RPM. So I adjusted the 2 step to 6000 rpm. I then forgot to take the traction control off and it bogged again. Next pass I finally got an okay burnout and luckily the guy in the other lane took forever to stage. So I readjusted the 2 step down to 3500 rpm for the launch. I had dropped the air pressure from 25psi to 18 psi as well. At a 3500 launch with 18 psi the car bogged with a 2:3 60 ft.

If you suffered thru this dissertation my question is: Has anyone had any success with the factory 2 step and the drag strip? Any suggestions? Next time I will take the silver key as well.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I cant see the trackey working for me as I launch at 6500 with et drags set to 16psi. I would air yours down to 17psi and launch at 5000 and go from there. Make sure you are getting plenty of heat in those tires. 2nd gear burn out hold the car till you feel the tires start to pull the rpms down then let off the foot brake.

Justin said:
I cant see the trackey working for me as I launch at 6500 with et drags set to 16psi. I would air yours down to 17psi and launch at 5000 and go from there. Make sure you are getting plenty of heat in those tires. 2nd gear burn out hold the car till you feel the tires start to pull the rpms down then let off the foot brake.

Justin that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I've had other cars without line lock, so I've had plenty of practice. It just seemed like the launch control would kill the rpm when I tapped the brake to keep me in the water. I'm not sure that's what was happening. But something weird was happening. Fuethermore a warning kept popping up telling my tire sensors were at fault. That's cuz I have none in my race wheels. I wonder if there is a way to make that go away? I was gonna start a new thread about it.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I don't see how having the tpms would matter since the psi is low enough to trip it anyhow.

I don't really know how the launch control works, but I believe it may be set up to optimize the street tires and not really know how to deal with sticky tires?

I've had similar experience until I realized stability control was still on, once I turned everything off and feathered the clutch I could get decent and consistant 60ft time, around 1.7. I am running some 26inch tall MT ET Streets on rims that have no TPMS and dont have any problem so I would take a guess this is not your issue. The launch control is only active if the clutch is depressed so tapping the brakes should not do anything. Make sure all traction and stability control is off when doing the burnout. Before the boss I had an 09 bullitt that was supercharged and that car I could not get to do a decent burn out until I put on the line lock.

So the 2-step is not active if you start in 2nd gear? I tried futzing around with it several months back in 1st with my foot off the brake and iirc it was still activating the 2-step. But I didn't try in 2nd.

The launch control is active in any gear with trackey, but once you let off the clutch you go from being at the lower RPM limit to the standard RPM limit. The brake pedal does nothing, you just need to be a stop and clutch in to activate.

TMO Supporting Vendors