10 Reasons You Shouldn't Upgrade Your Street Car To a Race Car

Discussion in 'Track Cars and Other Cars Forum' started by dabossinnne, May 14, 2019.

1. dabossinnne

dabossinnne TMO Addict

Converting a street car into a dual-use street/track (or race) car is a tricky proposition, and this article on WindingRoad.com argues why it's not wise to convert a street car into a race car.

https://www.windingroad.com/article...-57131477&mc_cid=ea14eaca44&mc_eid=bedd8b9fa5

I can identify completely with this, and with the desire to chase more and more performance -- and lower lap times -- via more and more mods. At some point, the car can become almost un-drivable on the street and enter in a sort of "neither fish-nor-fowl" gray zone of being neither a great race car or a good street car.

What say you...?

Grant 302 and The_Dead_Cow like this.
  2. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Only 10????...My Boss came with more reasons to keep it a Race car..LOL...I drive it on the street and love every minute!!!

Grant 302 likes this.
  3. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

I didn't have time to read the article but I think many of us that have dedicated race cars now would say that the less-expensive way to go would be to sell the street car and just buy a pre-built race car, rather than building up from an existing street car.

That being said, the journey is a fun and enriching one for everything except your bank account. :)

4. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Less money spent for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  5. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $587,402 Moderator

The article is right and applies to both race and HDPE dual-purpose cars too.

Exactly.

I didn't see some big reasons on the list:

Insurance.

Street reliability.

Street safety. Cages and rollbars aren't *always* safer when you're not wearing a helmet.

A/C.

Lightweight batteries.

And that's just off the top of my head.

There are surely better ways to end up with a race car. For now, my track day cars need to be street legal and I intend to keep it that way even for a 'mostly track' V6 that I want to get started on this year.

Nvrfinished likes this.
  6. Nvrfinished

Nvrfinished TMO Advanced

The premise of the article is buying a nice performance street car and then modifying it in stages for eventual wheel to wheel racing. It's a short read and makes sense. If I were to pursue wheel to wheel racing, I would either buy a car ready to go or find a deal on a high mileage or slightly damaged used car that I could take through the proper modifications.

For me personally, it's about modifying my Mustang enough to make it a capable HPDE car that I can use to improve my driving skills and make some of the people at the track driving cars that cost two and three times as much shake their head in frustration :p

I don't daily drive my car, but it still needs to have decent manners on the street. Plus, I simply enjoy the journey of learning and doing a lot of the work myself in the quest to improve lap times.

dabossinnne, gtorpedo, JDee and 2 others like this.
  7. Grant 302

That's exactly my plan, except I'm not even racing. I just want a car that I don't want to have to worry about (so much) if I break something. Hard to work on driving 10/10ths when you know you 'need' the car to work next week.

8. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

I'm happy. I have a great car with a great story of why I own it. I love to show it off too. I also like tracking the car (not racing) and certainly fall into the "Phaser" category. The car still sees some street tyme but she's set up for the track now and I have no regrets. She's 90% track and 10% street these days. If I was looking to trade paint with guys like @ArizonaBOSS , I would have gone a different route. Perhaps as I move up the HPDE ladder, I may try out some true wheel-to-wheel racing but not in Sweet Lorraine. I would let someone else built the race car, buy it discounted and go from there. Sweet Lorraine may not have what it takes to win the derby but she does like to run and that make this boy happy.

Grant 302, 302BOB and Nvrfinished like this.
  9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

Racing a car that you need to go too work with is ... well thats just mad!! Then again this whole sport is mad, and none of us are well balanced rational people..... Well maybe Bill.... o_O Lol!

I think many of us start off wanting to go that little bit faster... and then the thing just comes alive and devours all or spare time and money.

TymeSlayer and Grant 302 like this.
  10. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Nothing like a happy Tyme!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Grant 302

Mad as a Hatter! ;) :D

12. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Hatter, Bill's name and the words well-balanced and rational are seldom found in the same sentence. When Bill gets excited about talking about his laps, you can see the emergence of froth at the corners of his mouth. In my neck of the woods, they call that going mad. And then there's the German spittle too but I digress...

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Bill Pemberton likes this.
  13. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Well Tyme , you could be correct, but you may want to rephrase your Star Trek analogy , as I don't believe you think of yourself as a " Phaser," but a poseur , and frankly my friend you are neither. You are a true automotive enthusiast, driving your car on the track and the street , and working to make it fun on both. I think most of the folks on this site are your kin, as those actually running door to door are outnumbered by the HPDE and Time Trial souls!!!

14. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

I did DD my caged race car way back in 1989, wife drove it to work during the week and I raced it on weekends (I had a company car). But that only lasted about 2 months, just long enough to acquire sponsorship from a dealer and from them got a used pickup and a trailer. By the end of the 2nd year you wouldn't want to drive that car on the road, solid bushings everywhere will do that. Given what I learned back then I can't disagree with the article, if I had any thoughts at all to go road racing I'd not have gone this route at all.

Which makes me wonder why I put the black bushings in the Mustang since I have no intention of ever road racing it? The gear whine in this thing at light load and especially trailing throttle is just phenomenal now, at first I thought it was cool, now it's just super annoying. Might go down a notch to the reds and see how that goes. OTOH, the Ford Racing track suspension is really good on the street, though I'm under no illusions as to its suitability for anything beyond HPDE. But all these things make it a really quick HPDE car and very satisfying to drive quickly, so I am not unhappy with it at all.

I would like to visit some further away tracks though, and this car is now in no way suitable to do that, nor could I carry the spares and tools I would want that far from home. So might end up with truck and trailer yet. Or not. Dunno. Yet.

TymeSlayer and dabossinnne like this.
  15. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

I read the article and agree with most of what they wrote.
    I guess it all depends upon what you want from your car, how you define "Racecar" and where in the motor sports experience you find your enjoyment.

Buying a factory racer like a 302 R is an effective way to get to a competitive ride. IF that is your goal.

Personally, I love seeing my track times decrease. Bank account, not so much. I know I wont be the fastest guy on the track most days. I am good with that.

My goal for my car is personal enjoyment. I get some of that the exact same way Bob does. I start her up, listen to the exhaust, put her in gear and go for a ride "Somewhere". I Row through the gears and make an occasional run to Mexico. The ride is what is important, not the destination. No internet, (sorry Guys) no phones, no distractions. Just me and my ride cruising. One of the joys of living in the countryside.

I also enjoy driving the Boss on track to my and the cars potential. Not the fastest, that's OK. Set a POB and I am happy as hell. If I break something or wear out a few parts. that's OK. See below. The companionship of other track rats, how could I forget that. I have met some great folks at the track. None that I would like to be seen with around respectable folks...Just sayin. LOL

Another form of enjoyment for me is in the tinkering around with the car. I do all the maintenance on the Boss. All of it. When I had a sensor take a dump, I called the shop I work with, gave them the codes and symptoms and we agreed on the fix. I swapped out parts under warranty, I did the work. Why? I trust the guys completely. The senior tech and I grew up together. I just want to do everything I can mechanically to the car. I enjoy the work. Clutch upgrade? I did that work on my back, car on jack stands, temps in shop around 40F. The conditions sucked. So I insulated and heated the shop, bought a two post lift and still enjoy doing my own work. I also enjoy my comfort, who knew? I'll replace the next clutch, I just wont suck so bad.

Now if I could only convince the Boss (Wife) i need to also air condition the shop........ Likely, no. I guess she still want to see me in the house every so often....who knew?? LOL.

16. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Point #10 hit the nail in the head for me. I still look at used Boss 302S on a regular basis but it doesn’t look like I’ll be buying one. Sure fun to look though.

dabossinnne likes this.
  17. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Get one VoodooBoss!!!!! if only to bang around town...You know you miss that Kona. Blue baby.........

18. dabossinnne

dabossinnne TMO Addict

Great discussion here! Yep, we all have different objectives and priorities with our cars. There's no one right answer here, other than what's right for you individually and makes owning your car more enjoyable. Cuz that's what it's all about anyway...FUN!

302BOB, VoodooBoss, JDee and 2 others like this.
  19. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

I bought my Boss just to Drive around and enjoy! It was yrs since I had a manual and a car I could enjoy, as in GIDDY UP!!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    ArizonaBOSS likes this.