The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

10 Speed Auto for Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone using the new 2018 10 speed auto on track? Curious how it would do. I'm thinking it would need some trans cooling along with diff cooling of course as just about any track car should have. I feel like this would make a great driver/track/strip car with the auto properly set up. Thoughts?

I'm old school, but I believe the new 10 speed plus autos may be faster than us old geezers shifting gears, even tho that will always be more fun in my book. I'm not looking for any trophy at this stage of the game, just some happy driving tyme and a manual fills the bill...;)..any trans will need extra help in track conditions, for sure!

Last edited:
Yeah I enjoy rowing gears too. Just thinking if I can only afford one fun vehicle, a 2018 with auto might be the way to go.

In my experience with auto transmission in sporty cars, the good things are: 1) they shift faster which leads to quicker acceleration; 2) they require less engagement, which makes it much easier to do most anything other than pay attention to driving the car.

The bad: 1) they require less engagement, which makes it much easier to do most anything other than pay attention to driving the car; 2) they absolutely require trans cooling if you’re planning to drive them on the track in summer; 3) they’re more difficult to maintain; 4) they’re MUCH more expensive to repair.

Iin my experience, manual transmission cars - BMW’s or my ‘17 mustang pp - don’t require transmission cooling.

I actually prefer a manual for driving on the street (for a weekend car) and auto/DCT/PDK for driving on track. There's no denying that an auto is faster on track, most all professional race car series use them, and they allow you to concentrate on your line, braking and passing. Not sure how they are more difficult to maintain vs. a manual trans and clutch. I had LOTS of issues with the trans and clutch in my Boss 302. I've never seen a clutch pedal stick to the floor in an auto. :D Both manuals and autos need cooling if you're going to run them hard.

I actually prefer a manual for driving on the street (for a weekend car) and auto/DCT/PDK for driving on track. There's no denying that an auto is faster on track, most all professional race car series use them, and they allow you to concentrate on your line, braking and passing. Not sure how they are more difficult to maintain vs. a manual trans and clutch. I had LOTS of issues with the trans and clutch in my Boss 302. I've never seen a clutch pedal stick to the floor in an auto. :D Both manuals and autos need cooling if you're going to run them hard.

Rick, my comment about an auto being more maintenance was based on my experiences changing trans fluid. Auto trans vehicles I’ve had required removing the bottom of the trans to change fluid, filter, and gasket. It’s messy. In comparison, manual trans cars I’ve had just require removing a drain plug. To me, that qualifies the auto as being more difficult to maintain.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you said about auto being faster and easier. I’m probably a bit older and only get to the track two or three times a season. So, I’m sure I’m no where close to you in terms of speed or skill. Max speed / min lap times just aren’t my goals. If those are goals, the auto trans may very well be the way to go.

I go to the track to learn and enjoy more of my street cars potential - on a very modest budget. If I could afford it, I’d probably be driving an M5/M6 or a GT3. I think I’d still prefer a manual though.

Drive what you enjoy and can afford. Do your best to have fun and be safe

@VoodooBoss, Congratulations on your upcoming (and, I’m sure, much deserved) retirement! Yeah, my wife just retired after 33 years teaching elementary school- mostly inner city kids. So, I can’t even think about retirement until we’re both eligible for medical insurance thru Uncle Sam. (Of course I realize that day may never come.

I’m retiring in four weeks. :D
Congrats! One of the guys who really got me into track driving is semi-retired now. More time for the track :).

It's a tough decision overall. I do like the driving engagement of a manual. I just think I'd drive a 2018 GT PP1 Auto car on the streets more. The Laguna Seca is a sweet car but it doesn't get used much. Not just because it's a manual but because it also has the low splitter, not great road comfort...If I can hold out a bit longer maybe I'll get to the point where I could keep the LS and buy a new car. One can dream.

On the flip side of having enough money for everything we want...if things went the opposite way and I had to tighten the wallet a bit I'd sell my F250 and trailer, trade the Boss and have a new Mustang and a more reasonable daily driver. Both a new Mustang and a different daily would get better MPG and I wouldn't be paying to store a trailer. I'd have to drive to the track again but there are worse things. The whole auto or manual decision might be the toughest part of that scenerio as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Congrats! One of the guys who really got me into track driving is semi-retired now. More time for the track :).

It's a tough decision overall. I do like the driving engagement of a manual. I just think I'd drive a 2018 GT PP1 Auto car on the streets more. The Laguna Seca is a sweet car but it doesn't get used much. Not just because it's a manual but because it also has the low splitter, not great road comfort...If I can hold out a bit longer maybe I'll get to the point where I could keep the LS and buy a new car. One can dream.

On the flip side of having enough money for everything we want...if things went the opposite way and I had to tighten the wallet a bit I'd sell my F250 and trailer, trade the Boss and have a new Mustang and a more reasonable daily driver. Both a new Mustang and a different daily would get better MPG and I wouldn't be paying to store a trailer. I'd have to drive to the track again but there are worse things. The whole auto or manual decision might be the toughest part of that scenerio as well.

Having sold my truck and purchased a better daily seems to be the best decision I've made other than moving. In the case of auto vs manual i'd go auto but definitely see if there's a cooler out there for it. I want to say power by the hour has something and then the diff cooler. Driving too and from the track is ok it's a good cool down and fun to drive the normally for change.

Just my thoughts.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Orlando, FL
I’ve owned my auto 18 GT for about 5 months now and have 3 track days under my belt and must say that the car is quite a capable track car, no overheating issues so far but I’ve not run a summer event yet so well see. Since this is a daily I’m not out there beating the hell out of it but I must say it is a really fun car with great power delivery, its no Ferrari in regards to paddle shifting but it gets the job done and the more you drive it hard the better feel you get for the proper shift points for this tranny. Brake upgrade helps also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having sold my truck and purchased a better daily seems to be the best decision I've made other than moving. In the case of auto vs manual i'd go auto but definitely see if there's a cooler out there for it. I want to say power by the hour has something and then the diff cooler. Driving too and from the track is ok it's a good cool down and fun to drive the normally for change.

Just my thoughts.

PbtH does have a cooler kit. Thanks for that. I hadn't done any research yet. Seen plenty of diff coolers..

I’ve owned my auto 18 GT for about 5 months now and have 3 track days under my belt and must say that the car is quite a capable track car, no overheating issues so far but I’ve not run a summer event yet so well see. Since this is a daily I’m not out there beating the hell out of it but I must say it is a really fun car with great power delivery, its no Ferrari in regards to paddle shifting but it gets the job done and the more you drive it hard the better feel you get for the proper shift points for this tranny. Brake upgrade helps also.

Thanks for you input. I think it's time for a test drive. Absolutely on brake upgrades. I did that before my first track day ever in my 14 GT.

If I go with an '18 I'd be looking at good fluids, good brake pads, extra set of wheels and tires and maybe the Watson 4point and that's all I'd probably do to the car...you know, for now. :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Orlando, FL
PbtH does have a cooler kit. Thanks for that. I hadn't done any research yet. Seen plenty of diff coolers..

Thanks for you input. I think it's time for a test drive. Absolutely on brake upgrades. I did that before my first track day ever in my 14 GT.

If I go with an '18 I'd be looking at good fluids, good brake pads, extra set of wheels and tires and maybe the Watson 4point and that's all I'd probably do to the car...you know, for now. :)

That’s where I am now. Just need to log as many laps as I can to see where to best spend my time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s where I am now. Just need to log as many laps as I can to see where to best spend my time and money.

I've always been told the best place to spend money is in more seat time. Unfortunately for me this year isn't' allowing for much of that. Hopefully I'll be back on track (pun not intended but I'll take it) next year.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel