The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

10 speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, I talked to the smartest automotive engineer that I know today and this is what we came up with.
The ZL1 has the same basic trans BUT.GM has about 3 versions of this and the cases are different depending on the application. Some are larger if they require bigger clutches with more discs etc. The big guys are in the ZL1 and Corvettes and next year, the 1LE. So..you can't simply go to a chevy dealer and get a bigger pan and pickup..or maybe you can, no one is really sure until you get them side by side or get one on a lift and measure it up, but the chevies do have a bigger pan and pickup. Now there are 2 hydraulic pumps a stated, one for the line pressure and 1 for the coolant flow, so..with that in mind, it would seem you could install a monster trans coolant heat exchanger without any issues, and in fact, that is what the ZL1s have.
Now, a bit more to the point, if the trans upshifts are erratic, then the shallow pan might be the culprit because the trans is running the pan dry, however, if you get a high trans temp indicator then the problem is almost certainly cooling, if the light comes on and then a few minutes later the trans starts doubling up it's shifts or acting strangely, the trans has gone into limp mode and is trying to dissipate heat.
All that being said, this guy told me he can cause the trans to overheat in as little as 4 laps, and the only remedy is to slow down, this guy is no slouch, he held a track record at a well known German track, and really knows his business.
please don't post any guesses, thanks.

Last edited:
sfo
Fly half,

Racing scca in vettes. We see runnimg 280 and higher spurts in oil temp even with big coolers when 100f ambient. It is ok and some like me will take more warmup care run higher viscosity 20 50 which has same viscosity as 10 30 running at street temps 230f oil. Under 90f I'm consistently seeing 265f all day no prob. So I think the gt can do more heat in the oil as long as the gt is not electrically set up to limp at higher 280 oil temp.

C7z06 has huge 2 lap limp mode problems but aftermarket solved it with big coolers. I would think it can be solved on the gt too.

No one road races auto trans why I do not know. It is tiring for me to left foot brake and heel toe downshift at same time. So much easier with a dct or auto. And better laptimes.

10r80 does not fit in c7 vette. C8 will have dct. For track duty it us the maro or mustang for 10r80.

Which setrab cooler is working for the 10r80? There are many.

Also bigger cooler need to add that much more volume to the trans fluid so that helps handle more heat and reduces pickup starvation.

sfo
I'm on the fence of which mustang with 10r80 to race for eligible SCCA classes. I'm thinking the EcoBoost could be very effective in one class plus the eco might not be able to put as much heat into the trans?

I would think the EcoBoost with the 10r80 might be a nice match.

With the new setrab cooler the trans temp reached max 220f on 100f.
Problem is
With this big cooler in front of the AC condenser
And the oil cooler in the lower grille,
I'm now seeing high head temp (245) with coolant around 230
And OIL 285.
Oil And headtemp are related. So probably nezt move is a bigger radiator.
Should I go with a different oil cooler? Maybe. This mishi is well done though.

A note on SCCA. i won all the time trials (american muscle cup) in my class that I have partecipated. with laptimes close to heavy modified cars (viper ACR vettes and ZL1 and some great s197).
So is a 18 pp1 10 speed auto fast? Heck yeah!
Is it good for time trials?. Absolutely.

Can she hold 30mins w2w. ? Like this no.
Maybe with a different front fascia( 350 style ) that allows you 2 oil coolers. Plus a trans cooler and a diff. Yes :)
2104feda8442c6b687fdae76ce02eee1.jpg
3c3e9b143b314b224edd558a6f3d3619.jpg

sfo
You are running out of cooler real estate.

Do hood vents bleed out more hot air on track?

We vette guys are using thick 2” Ron Davis radiators to great effect. That was not a guess. There are many racers of many different cars using RDs.

I don’t know what the best solution is for mustangs.

I'll go with mishimoto.
He has a s550 one with 77% more capacity than mine (pp1 has the same of gt350)
Today coolant was up to 237.
Too much
I do the radiator and the thermostat 170f.
After that I'll move on to the next one.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors