The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

10 years down the road-2012 Boss vs. 2013 Boss

Poll: After 10 years, normal depreciation should makes these vehicles equal in value-which year will

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neither. Probably the 2014 Boss 351. ;)

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
5 DOT 0 said:
Neither. Probably the 2014 Boss 351. ;)

That's a different poll-IF there is a 2014 Boss.

My gut feeling is that after model year 2013, Ford's attention will be on the model year 2015 which, I think, will be released for sale early in calender year 2014 in honor of the first Mustang's release date.

That said, the 2014 Mustang will a minor footnote in the model's history.

I'm gonna say the 13, just because of the stripes and trac apps. I'll always love my 12 though.
That 2014 Boss351 with 550 N/A HP would be cool though. I would still choose my 12.
Can you tell i love my boss, ;D

TennEarl said:
I'm gonna say the 13, just because of the stripes and trac apps. I'll always love my 12 though.
That 2014 Boss351 with 550 N/A HP would be cool though. I would still choose my 12.

What's in the trac app?

I think 10 years down the road finding a track app or sync that is still fully functional will be the challenge. With the updates and tech changes things like navigation, sat. radio, sync and electronic apps are just turning non functional or so outdated as to not be wanted.

Give me the plain old get the job done 2012

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ihatepotholess said:
TennEarl said:

What's in the trac app?
this is the track app
[pdf]http://media.ford.com/images/10031/Mustang_Track_Apps.pdf[/pdf]

I think the 12's as they were the first out

Gadgets aside, I think the 12's will be more valuable someday because they are more unique looking. The 13's look too much like a Shelby. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

sunk and track apps will not be the determiner I believe the 2012 will be the one only because the 2013 boss,gt500,gt,6 cylinder all look the same and this is also going to hurt the the gt500 in the long run it may do ok only for its hp. I will say it was a huge downer to see a 6 cylinder regular mustang facing a gt500 and hear the sales guy say the same thing everyone in there was thinking, 'just put the decals and you cannot tell the difference in town' Huge downer. And ontop of that the older gt500 is going to hurt for the same reason.

I don't think the gadget "track apps" that aren't really useful on the track are going to be worth anything 10 years from now. The item that sets the Bosses apart from the other Mustangs from either year is the engine. The stripes and bumper covers aren't going to be a big deal so buy the one you want and do worry about which is going to be more valuable. These cars were made to be driven and they drive identical so go out and have fun!

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Whos knows? Even guessing would be hard . The 12 has the Base Race Car Look and feel with no options.

But the 13 has neat little Track apps , reflective stripe, Head lights tailights etc etc/

It will all depend on if the guy wanted to Raw Boss or the Tech Boss?

If I had to guess Id say the 13 Boss, even though I own a 12 myself.

I like the 12 front end, especially with headlights on the outside like a older Mustang. The 13s I dont like the headlights moved inward.
I like the 13s Reflective stripe but I like the 12 C stripe. I like the 13 Track Apps and sync.
I also like the 13s tailights, but not the rear bumper cover.
I like the 12s front end (Bumper etc) Vs 13s front bumper
I like the 13s Hood vent << Very sweet..

Neither.

Since autonomous car exist right now and they will undoubtedly prove to be vastly safer than cars operated by humans, 10 years from now it will may be prohibitively expensive to insure a human driven car.

enjoy them while you can.

Vermont
5 DOT 0 said:
I don't think the gadget "track apps" that aren't really useful on the track are going to be worth anything 10 years from now. The item that sets the Bosses apart from the other Mustangs from either year is the engine. The stripes and bumper covers aren't going to be a big deal so buy the one you want and do worry about which is going to be more valuable. These cars were made to be driven and they drive identical so go out and have fun!

+1. You would think, because of their fewer numbers, the '69 Boss 302s would command more $$ today than the '70 , but that isn't the case. It's the engine, suspension and Trans-Am connection (together with the G code in the VIN) that make those cars valuable today and both have it. So you might expect the '12 and '13 Boss 302s will be of similar value down the road. I will give you a definite answer in 10 years, unless I can resurrect my crystal ball.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since more folks own 2012s than 2013s the poll will definitely go towards the more numerous vehicle at this time. If we look at other cars and values from the past it is often the first of a line or the last year of a line that draws the most bucks. Since we may only have two years of Bosses, this is an inherent tie on which would be the King of value. With the body changes and the stripe changes , it may be as simple as the personal preference of one look over the other. Again, kind of an equal feeling so no draw towards either year. Finally there will be the old school guys since the original year was more about performance and the second year (2013 ) was more fluff with Sync and the Track App. This may be nothing more than the old guard wanting more purity and the tech savvy younger buyers wanting the new upgrades -- so maybe age determined and again a draw if based on that. My only disagreement would be that it will take 50 years for these cars to be worth anything. In the past I believe time would have needed to be somewhat lengthy, but I think most of us think with hybrids, electrics, etc. we may be really entering the end of an era. I think this alone will keep values up and we will see them stay strong over an extended period -- after all , supply is a big key and not very many are being made in the grand scheme of things.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Bill Pemberton said:
Since more folks own 2012s than 2013s the poll will definitely go towards the more numerous vehicle at this time.

I concur. That said I just watched a 1970 Boss 302 go through Barrett-Jackson for $100K (before buyer's premium)

And the announcer said the 1970 Boss had about 5 times the numbers produced as the 1969.

BJ is BJ, the prices there are not directly applicable to regular world sales. Though that doesn't stop people from asking $40k for a clapped out Duster.

I was there for the Bugatti sale that the kid backed out of, that was pretty funny. Been to quite a few, as my gf works for them sometimes, but my friends that are car collectors won't even go to them as there have been so many fakes coming through there.

TMO Supporting Vendors