The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

$1000 What Next?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I am posting to get some much needed guidance as what to do next with a portion of my tax return this spring. I have approximately $1,000 to spend on any upgrade for the Boss. Below is the list of what I have and/or done so far.

- C/S Spoiler
- MGW Shifter
- Enkei Rims
- Pro Kit Lowering Springs
- BF Goodrich G-Force Rivals (275/35 Front, 295/35 Rear)
- Dot 4 Brake Fluid
- Clear Bra
- BBK Cold Air Intake

Some of the options/ideas I've thought of is:

- JLT Passenger/Driver side oil separator
- Corbeau Seat Belt Harness Bar
- Cool Tech's Boss 302 Harness Belts
- Used/New Continental Racing Slicks
- Kenny Brown Rear Shock Tower Brace

I know everyone has their own opinions/ideas, that is why I am seeking the best options for my dollar. I welcome any input!

Thank you!!

I notice you had lowering springs, LCA's and relocation brackets are a must with lower springs. I'm still on the stock suspension but I read alot.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Nice upgrades, are you tracking the car or street use?

SUPRMN said:
So I am posting to get some much needed guidance as what to do next with a portion of my tax return this spring. I have approximately $1,000 to spend on any upgrade for the Boss. Below is the list of what I have and/or done so far.

- C/S Spoiler
- MGW Shifter
- Enkei Rims
- Pro Kit Lowering Springs
- BF Goodrich G-Force Rivals (275/35 Front, 295/35 Rear)
- Dot 4 Brake Fluid
- Clear Bra
- BBK Cold Air Intake

Some of the options/ideas I've thought of is:

- JLT Passenger/Driver side oil separator
- Corbeau Seat Belt Harness Bar
- Cool Tech's Boss 302 Harness Belts
- Used/New Continental Racing Slicks
- Kenny Brown Rear Shock Tower Brace

I know everyone has their own opinions/ideas, that is why I am seeking the best options for my dollar. I welcome any input!

Thank you!!

You're gonna need slicks to keep up with me. If you do harnesses, think about running events and the expiration dates on them. If you want to do more suspension like an eibach adjustable rear sway bar let me know I will cut you a deal. It won't fit for me as I still want to run my drag wheels every now and then.

12coBoss said:
You're gonna need slicks to keep up with me. If you do harnesses, think about running events and the expiration dates on them. If you want to do more suspension like an eibach adjustable rear sway bar let me know I will cut you a deal. It won't fit for me as I still want to run my drag wheels every now and then.

Slicks or Not......you can't fix the driver! LOL So I am still good.

The car is 90% street use and 10% autoX/road course. I'm leaning towards the oil separator and CC plates.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
OK, so you take the car to the track. Good. I do not see a adjustable pan hard, brake ducts or transmission cooling scoop on your list. I would do these fist. Then, brake pads , oil separator and camber plates.

Domestic Product said:
OK, so you take the car to the track. Good. I do not see a adjustable pan hard, brake ducts or transmission cooling scoop on your list. I would do these fist. Then, brake pads , oil separator and camber plates.

Does adding the transmission cooling scoop reduce clearance? I ask because after having the Pro Kit installed, I now need to back into the driveway when parking it in the garage. The last thing I need is to rip off a cooling scoop!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
SUPRMN said:
Does adding the transmission cooling scoop reduce clearance? I ask because after having the Pro Kit installed, I now need to back into the driveway when parking it in the garage. The last thing I need is to rip off a cooling scoop!

It does reduce clearance, but I haven't had any issues on P springs with the GT. You can see it on my Boss (stock height) in the sig pic.

Is your driveway a dip or crown?

Rent a skid pad for yourself for 2 days and learn your car better, push it hard, do crazy things with it,
Learn to recover a crazy oversteer...etc

Rather than start a new thread I have a somewhat silly question about slicks/race tires.

If bought and put on the car, can one drive to and from the track on them? I've heard yes and no......thought the track guys here could better answer the question. I don't have a trailer so that is not an option.

I could jack the car up @ the track and change them I know but checking all my options.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
SUPRMN said:
Rather than start a new thread I have a somewhat silly question about slicks/race tires.

If bought and put on the car, can one drive to and from the track on them? I've heard yes and no......thought the track guys here could better answer the question. I don't have a trailer so that is not an option.

I could jack the car up @ the track and change them I know but checking all my options.

I don't think it's legal....primarily because they don't have grooves. It would be really bad to run into a rain storm on slicks and have to do an emergency stop or other quick maneuver.

I sympathize with you...last fall was the first time for slicks...I ended up renting a trailer.

Good luck,

Wayne

There probably are other reasons as well....some my not have DOT approval on them. So....no grooves and may or may not be DOT approved....would spell disaster if you're involved in a wreck on the street.

BTW, I also bring the OEM wheels and tires with me to the track....just in case I have a slick go down...I can swap in the OEMs and get it on the trailer.

I've driven to the track on Hoosiers more than once. It's not ideal but you gotta work with what you have. If I were ever to see rain in the forecast, I would either leave early or drive accordingly on the freeway.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wouldn't do it unless the track is pretty close. You're paying for quality rubber and then wearing it and heat cycling it on the street. I'm over 100 miles from most tracks so I definitely won't do those. Fontana is only about 40 miles and I wouldn't want to risk even that.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
SUPRMN said:

I take them with me in the boss. Swap at the track. Just bring a jack, breaker bar and torque wrench. To speed things up I bring my craftsman 1/2 cordless impact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors