The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

10R80 open port?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfo
Does anyone know if this hex head circled in red reveals an open port to the inside of the transmission case? I want to add an external cooler and put the cold atf back into this hole.

Ford-10-Speed-AT.jpg-1024x844.jpg

This doesn't explicitly answer your question, but I was poking around the Internet and found this little conversion kit. It would allow you to change the stock inlet/outlet location on the 10R80 to a -8AN. I assume if you were creating a larger capacity/upgraded transmission cooler unit over stock that it may come in handy.
(There's also this non-swiveling one, but in the 10R80 application they would be pointing straight down: https://protouringstore.com/products/ford-6r80-10r80-trans-cooler-manifold-with-8an-fittings)
It looks like for the 10R80 application, you would rotate it so the securing bolt is at the top taking advantage of the same threaded boss the stock line use to secure themselves to the case.
The second website states that either port can be used for inlet or outlet and that they're not specific.
10Rinletoutlet.PNG
Transcooleradaptor.PNG
Stock line where is connects to the transmission case for comparison:
StockTransCooler.PNG
CoolerLines.PNG

TMO Supporting Vendors