The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

12:35 @ 112mph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I drove an hour to our local drag strip. Signed in. Pulled up to the line. Dumped the clutch and went 12:35 @ 111.75 mph.
I was impressed. As the night went on, I kept going slower because I was messing with the trac control and the 2 step. When I finally thought I had them figured out, it started raining. It was 77 degrees and 80% humidity. My 60ft was 1.90 with 30 psi in the D/R's. If it ever cools off down here, I'm sure it will run 11:90's.

On another pass the car picked up mph and went 12:[email protected] mph. I've read that the computers learn the more you run the car and tend to make more power. Not sure if the extra mph came from the computer or the slower et.

One other thing I noticed was that the trak key would not activate until I had finished a pass. The only exception was my 1st and fastest pass. I wonder if it's best to drag race the car after it has gotten hot enough to allow the driver to click the ok button when it says trak key is activated?

I also ordered a BBK throttle body today. I'm anxious to see if my MPH picks up.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Trackey is activated when you insert key.loopey idle is activated after a little time .
I've never ran my DRs with more then 23lbs. 30 is too much air.
The run that your MPH picked up but worse time was probably a tad of wheelspin at launch.

I know nothing about drag racing but I'm curious why launch control wouldn't work with street tires? I've read many use 2,800 RPM's with street tires and get very little tire spin.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: 12:35 @ 112mph

NFSBOSS said:
I know nothing about drag racing but I'm curious why launch control wouldn't work with street tires? I've read many use 2,800 RPM's with street tires and get very little tire spin.

I drag race during the summer but I haven't used launch control ever.
Mike on this forum races with street tires , he tell me , one time @2800 will work great then the next round up he'll get well spin. Weird and inconsistant it seems even though it should be work great.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

NFSBOSS said:

Mike on this forum races with street tires , he tells me , one time @2800 will work great then the next round up he'll get wheel spin. Weird and inconsistant it seems even though it should be work great.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

NFSBOSS said:

Mike on this forum races with street tires , he tells me , one time @2800 will work great then the next round up he'll get wheel spin. Weird and inconsistant it seems even though it should be work great.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

NFSBOSS said:

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

NFSBOSS said:

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

NFSBOSS said:

NFSBOSS said:

Let me clarify. If you are using sticky tires at a drag strip, there is a benefit to launching at a consistent high RPM. If you launch at high rpm with street tires, you will not hook, with or without launch control. Since Traction Control is essentially trying to keep your tires from spinning, it defeats the purpose of the launch control. IMO You'd be better off riding the clutch til the tires hooked. On the street I prefer the Traction Control on.

I got a 1.90 60ft 3 time without Traction Control or Launch Control. The best I could muster with them on was a 2:15 60ft!

Futrthermore, if you are in the water box and forget to turn off the traction control, the car will NOT spin the tires. It almost shuts down.

seca954 said:
Let me clarify. If you are using sticky tires at a drag strip, there is a benefit to launching at a consistent high RPM. If you launch at high rpm with street tires, you will not hook, with or without launch control. Since Traction Control is essentially trying to keep your tires from spinning, it defeats the purpose of the launch control. IMO You'd be better off riding the clutch til the tires hooked. On the street I prefer the Traction Control on.

I got a 1.90 60ft 3 time without Traction Control or Launch Control. The best I could muster with them on was a 2:15 60ft!

Futrthermore, if you are in the water box and forget to turn off the traction control, the car will NOT spin the tires. It almost shuts down.

Water and street tires = bad combination.

To the OP, nice ETs. I hope to be in the same neighborhood on my stock tires when spring rolls around and the strip opens back up.

BrianDeTienne said:
Water and street tires = bad combination.

To the OP, nice ETs. I hope to be in the same neighborhood on my stock tires when spring rolls around and the strip opens back up.

agreed. Water + street tires = Bad. Water + sticky tires = good.

The best I could get the stock street tires to do was 2:05. If you can get a 1:90 on stock tires, you are a good driver.

seca954 said:

The best I could get the stock street tires to do was 2:05. If you can get a 1:90 on stock tires, you are a good driver.

In my best Dustin Hoffman Rainman voice...."I'm a very good driver" ;D

Mid 12s all stock is nothing to sneeze at. I can live with that for now.

seca954 said:

The best 60' that I have gotten with the stock P-Zero's is 1.901. The fastest I have gone is 12.6 @ 112 mph and the 60' on that run was 1.963. And I would say I am not that good of a driver when it comes to drag racing. I have seen a 2012 Boss do 12.4 with stock P-Zero's!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i'd be interested to know why water is bad for street tires in the burnout box? i do it all the time. 2nd gear burnout just til i start to see some smoke. then stage, set her at about 1800 and go. i get 1.90's all day long on street tires. also don't know how launching at 2800 would ever work on street tires. is that with launch control? i don't have such technology, so i have to do it the old fashioned way and have never been able to hook at higher than 1800.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
just thought about that launch rpm. im probably lower because of the gt intake manifold, which produces more low end torque than the boss does.

I've been 12.47 at 114.9 a couple of times on stock tires and no burn out....My buddy went 12.27 at 114.9 on stock tires too, but he drive the hell out of stock tires...his Z06 went 10.92 on bone stock..

TMO Supporting Vendors