The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

12:80 @ 112 mph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I made my first five passed on the 1/4 mile. My best time was 12:80 @ 112. The first three passes were garbage. I missed 3rd gear on those passes. Once I figured out how to shift into 3rd, the car went back to back passes with the same time. My 60 ft was only a 2:06. On that pass I ran against a stock 2013 Mustang GT with the performance pack. He went 13:59 @ 108 mph. I found it an interesting comparison between the Boss vs the GT. It was 85 degrees and the humidity seemed liked it was in the 90's. I'm sure the car sould run faster in cooler air.

I think the car will benefit from some beefy lower control arms and drag radials. I'm going try to master the shifter before I replace it. I've never had any issues with it until last night.

PS Do not attempt a burnout with traction control on.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I feel your pain with the shifter. I had to really slow down my shifting in order to hit 3rd and not fifth in my boss. the MGW shifter fixed that dont hesitate buying that shifter. Order it now as the wait is 1-2 months.

I have ran my boss with ET Streets on 17" wheels and ran a 1.80 60' and best time was 12.22@112. With crappy air like you had.

I still have yet to install and test my BBR LCA's.

I was worried about the stock driveshaft not holding up to the 6600rpm hits on slicks as it made one hell of a crack when I took off so I bought and installed a DSS driveshaft stronger and lighter no vibrations.

Also consider taking the spring assist off the clutch pedal it feels and works much better. I replaced the clutch line to the upgraded SS braided it also helped alot.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
seca954 said:
I made my first five passed on the 1/4 mile. My best time was 12:80 @ 112. The first three passes were garbage. I missed 3rd gear on those passes. Once I figured out how to shift into 3rd, the car went back to back passes with the same time. My 60 ft was only a 2:06. On that pass I ran against a stock 2013 Mustang GT with the performance pack. He went 13:59 @ 108 mph. I found it an interesting comparison between the Boss vs the GT. It was 85 degrees and the humidity seemed liked it was in the 90's. I'm sure the car sould run faster in cooler air.

I think the car will benefit from some beefy lower control arms and drag radials. I'm going try to master the shifter before I replace it. I've never had any issues with it until last night.

PS Do not attempt a burnout with traction control on.

FYI

For those interested in weather at a track as well as correction for altitude and DA. The link below is to a site which lists many of the tracks in North America along with accurate weather as well as DA and correction tables.

Just find the track you were at, enter the date and time along with times from your run. The program calculates DA and corrects for sea level. A nice tool.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

Justin said:
I feel your pain with the shifter. I had to really slow down my shifting in order to hit 3rd and not fifth in my boss. the MGW shifter fixed that dont hesitate buying that shifter. Order it now as the wait is 1-2 months.

I have ran my boss with ET Streets on 17" wheels and ran a 1.80 60' and best time was 12.22@112. With crappy air like you had.

I still have yet to install and test my BBR LCA's.

I was worried about the stock driveshaft not holding up to the 6600rpm hits on slicks as it made one hell of a crack when I took off so I bought and installed a DSS driveshaft stronger and lighter no vibrations.

Sounds like I need a shifter then. I think I am also shifting too high. I'm going to try shifting around 6500 rpm next time. It was my first time down the track in four years. It's going to take me a while to settle down and relax again. I hadn't given much thought to the drive shaft. I guess it has three universal joints, right? Any idea why Ford used the two peice shaft? It felt like the back of the car walked to side when I hit 2nd gear. I remember upgrading LCA's on previous stangs and that issue going away. I didn't think it would be any harder on the drive shaft though.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
yeah the factory shaft is a two piece design. heavy and twice the places for it to fail. they used that from what I have read was to get rid of NVH. I got it for piece of mind last thing I want is a driveshaft ripping up the floor boards.

Next time I go to the track I am going to disconnect one of the sway bar links up front. That should help the front rise a little better. the car just didnt want to "sit" off of the line.

I am going to install a raptor shift light in the 12V source in the dash. I was shifting right at 7400. Couple of passes I hit the rev limiter. I need a light so I can watch the track not the dash.

The next trip to the track I hope to be running a steeda CAI and tune along with magna flow comp cat back the BBR billet LCA's. That plus the driveshaft and the ability to shift it quickly instead of slowly I am hoping to be down in the 11's. My goal is 11.49's as I dont want the hassle of a cage or trying to get away with not having one.

Justin said:
yeah the factory shaft is a two piece design. heavy and twice the places for it to fail. they used that from what I have read was to get rid of NVH. I got it for piece of mind last thing I want is a driveshaft ripping up the floor boards.

Next time I go to the track I am going to disconnect one of the sway bar links up front. That should help the front rise a little better. the car just didnt want to "sit" off of the line.

I am going to install a raptor shift light in the 12V source in the dash. I was shifting right at 7400. Couple of passes I hit the rev limiter. I need a light so I can watch the track not the dash.

The next trip to the track I hope to be running a steeda CAI and tune along with magna flow comp cat back the BBR billet LCA's. That plus the driveshaft and the ability to shift it quickly instead of slowly I am hoping to be down in the 11's. My goal is 11.49's as I dont want the hassle of a cage or trying to get away with not having one.

Please post your results after you make it the track again.

Very close to what I ran bone stock ... 12.8 @ 114.... Traction was very limited. Don't feel bad, I was in reverse one run when the light came down. Stupid reverse ...
::)

MA
That is a very respectable pass in those conditions.

Just stay after it, it will improve. Stock tires aren't going to 60' much better than that though.

Justin said:

I second the driveshaft change that is on my list as soon as I get time to put one in. you know if the stock one fails it will tear up the underside of the car and they are not going to replace that I am sure they may put some paint on it and a new shaft then send you on your way.

TMO Supporting Vendors