The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

'12 Boss 302 - Rear end noise while turning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
Just under two weeks ago, I started noticing some rear end noise. The noise sounds like a squeaking/creaking intermittent noise (i.e. a short and distinct squeak or creak as the suspension moves up and/or down). The noise is louder in right hand corners than in left hand corners. There is no noise on straight roads and flat corners and even big bumps that are even side-to-side don't seem to be an issue. Cambered/bumpy corners cause the noise.

Suspension/chassis modifications are 18x9.5 wheels in 285/35 tires all around and Fays2 Watt's link.

I'm suspecting the Watt's link, shocks or a bad bushing. I have had Watt's link noises before and I was able to find them and fix them but I can't find anything here. There was a rod end on the Watt's link that was dirty and almost seized but I cleaned it and re-greased several times and it's much better now - I don't think the noise is coming from there but it could be. I checked under the car and everything looked tight. I pushed down on the rear of the car and there was no noise.. not that this completely eliminates shocks and bushings possibilities but I am clueless at this point. Any ideas? The car has 69xx miles and has been to the track a few times.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
Drove to work this morning and the noise is driving me nuts. I really wouldn't mind the noise if I knew where it was coming from and it's not a big deal but noises are usually the car's way of telling that something isn't right.. It occurred to me this morning that if the noise happens in turns and not in straights, even if there are bumps, then its probably a sway bar issue not a suspension travel issue (control arms, shock, etc.). Any input is appreciated!

Curious: Have you checked rear shock mounts?
I know they shouldn't go this early, but it's a possibility that these are making mild clunk/squeaking noises.
My previous car did exactly this and the rear shock mounts were the culprit.

If it's really driving you mad, it's worth the detective work to remove the FAYS and put back the OE panhard just to see if the noise is still there. It at least will rule out 1 major component.

TMO Supporting Vendors