The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

13-14 hood vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Just wondered if anyone has opened them up. Obviously cutting the hood blanket but did anyone cut the holes in the vents making them open.

Mad302 said:
Just wondered if anyone has opened them up. Obviously cutting the hood blanket but did anyone cut the holes in the vents making them open.

I have tried to do so, was not convinced that there will be significantly more air flow.
I said to myself, go big once and get tiger racing hood. I will likely buy the lightweight hood one day.

Based on the pressure in the engine bay I don't know that cutting the mat or grills from the vents would add much.

I can say that after my TR hood the IAT and Cyl. Head temps are a few degrees cooler when moving, don't rise as high when sitting still, and cool off faster.

coboss said:
The purpose of the hood vents is not cooling, it is to prevent hood flutter at high speeds.

either way, it creates negative pressure under the hood, which helps pull air through the radiator, thus increasing airflow and cooling.

The Tiger Racing hood's main purpose is aero. While I'm sure there's some cooling benefit it's not significant. Certainly it will vent hot air while sitting still.

I have a 13 boss, and I got my hands on a 2013/14 GT500 hood that bolts directly onto the 13 Boss. Don't know if the vent is better than the GT style vents, but the vent is a lot bigger. Just waiting to order the stripes, (about a $1,000) and will install it shortly.

005.jpg

P.S. The color of the hood is correct, but I don't think I would have went with the blue stripes. Someone has a Super Snake with blue stripes on a Race Red car.

TMO Supporting Vendors