The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

13 boss low oil level light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saturday I took my boss to my local track for the first time. first two sessions were great and then when starting the car for the 3rd session the low oil level icon came on the center screen. I checked the oil level and it was fine. light never came back on. finished session and checked oil, then checked again before the 4th session. oil level full. fired up for 4th session and light came on again. checked after session and then after cool down before we loaded up on the trailer. still full and light still coming on after startup. once home I checked the oil again before backing off the trailer. still full, and light still came on again after startup. Has anyone else had issues? I dont trust local dealerships service department due to years and years of lackluster service so I guess I'll be loading up on a trailer and heading to OKC or back to Wichita where the car was purchased. car has less than 800 miles on the clock.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
How long has it been since your last oil change? Where on the dipstick are you reading?

Sounds like your oil may not be draining back fast enough and perhaps your filter is in bypass and your fill is on the low side of 'full'.

I don't run less than the top mark for the track to help prevent starvation.

oil was just changed prior to attending the track event. oil level is at the top of the mark. the top dot. I'll probably just trailer the car back to Wichita where I purchased the car and have them look it over since they owe me an oil change anyway. I just dont trust the local dealer to be honest. I've had too many issue with their service department in the past.

Oil level sensor is on the left hand side of the oil pan. It is the large white nylon looking thing (nut) with a connector plugged into it. The harness is routed towards the front of the engine along the top of the oil pan, up behind and around the top of the alternator and around the front of the engine. It ties into the engine harness right where the front cam sensor comes off the harness in front of the left valve cover. Good Luck.

went out yesterday to clean the car up and checked the oil again. still at full. fired the car up and no more oil level low warning light. odd.

WinterSucks said:
Are you running a drastically different oil? Guys here have been using Amsoil 10W40 and other brands without issues that I have heard of.

normally I do ALL work myself but out of limited time I had my local tire/mech shop change the oil since the oil change light came on when I was driving up there to have the tires/wheels balanced. I told them mobile 1 5w50 but I broke my cardinal rule and didn't verify the empty bottles. might have been a lesser weight. I'll just eat the new oil and change to amsoil 10w40 here soon on my own.

WinterSucks said:
Hmmm...it would be odd for a shop to carry 5w50 normally. I hope they at least got close...

I hope so too but no matter what I'll be ordering a case of amsoil 10w40 and changing it again soon on my own just to make sure.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel