The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

'13 GT500 vs Camaro ZL1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, one of the first side by sides I've seen. Here is the link:

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/feature-flick-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-and-ford-shelby-gt500-duke-it-out-at-laguna-seca-151231.html

For those that remember, and since this is a Boss forum, here is the same comparo with the Boss vs. the ZL1:

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/feature-flick-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-takes-on-ford-boss-302-laguna-seca-115923.html

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The guys make me laugh. The GT500 beat it in on the road course and in the 1/4 mile, but they will choose the ZL1 as the 'winner' all because of the brake pads that Ford chose as stock pads on the GT500? Anything to try to save the GM brand from final extinction I guess. All of the technology of the CTS still could not oversome the superior drivetrain of the GT500. Honestly, if I had no allegences to Ford or Chevy and I saw this video, wouldn't I want the car that puts the power down better, has more power, has better steering feedback, doesn't make you feel like you're sitting in a bunker when you are driving, and sounds a hell of a lot meaner ?

I'll take one GT500 and a set of Pagid pads please.... ;D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I'm with you pete. Since when is a muscle car docked points cause it sounds like....a muscle car? Its easier and cheaper to upgrade the brake pads not the motor on the chevy.....idiots.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The other point I've thought of is that the ZL1 suspension comes as-is, I doubt you can modify that much since the active suspension is programmed for the existing springs. sways, etc, etc. One the other hand the GT500 has the ability to become a more formidable track car with Ford Racing components at a relativly low price, just like us Boss owners can make huge improvements on an already kick-a!! track car with affordable and well designed bolt ons.

My 2 cents, but I guess I'm biased to some degree.

One last thing - it truly is fa act (God even told me) that the Camaro is one butt ugly excuse for a car. That can't be changed ;D

Justin said:
PeteInCT said:
One last thing - it truly is fa act (God even told me) that the Camaro is one butt ugly excuse for a car. That can't be changed ;D
lol agreed. I keep waiting for them to transform.
Bumble_Bee_Camaro.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
whats sad is chevy sells a transformer edition...so sad.
http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/2012-camaro-transformers-special-edition/

PeteInCT said:
The guys make me laugh. The GT500 beat it in on the road course and in the 1/4 mile, but they will choose the ZL1 as the 'winner' all because of the brake pads that Ford chose as stock pads on the GT500? Anything to try to save the GM brand from final extinction I guess. All of the technology of the CTS still could not oversome the superior drivetrain of the GT500. Honestly, if I had no allegences to Ford or Chevy and I saw this video, wouldn't I want the car that puts the power down better, has more power, has better steering feedback, doesn't make you feel like you're sitting in a bunker when you are driving, and sounds a hell of a lot meaner ?

I couldn't agree more, Pete. If you count the number of times Pobst praises the way both the Boss and the GT500 'put the power down' in both videos, it must be over 10! All that from a "dinosaur" rear axle setup! Pobst pisses me off more and more each time I see him. He goes back and forth on his own opinions so often that his reviews no longer hold any weight with me. Even in this video he can be seen nicking the ZL1 on it's handling over curbs when in the Boss comparison, he could not say enough good things about the way the ZL1 handled the curbs compared to the Boss.

I mean, come on. The GT500 is faster around the track, faster 0-60, faster in the 1/4 mile, has a higher top speed, and both Angus and Pobst could not say enough good things about the precise steering on the Mustang. Yet the ZL1 wins? Really? Really?

:p

SouthJerseyBoss said:
PeteInCT said:

I couldn't agree more, Pete. If you count the number of times Pobst praises the way both the Boss and the GT500 'put the power down' in both videos, it must be over 10! All that from a "dinosaur" rear axle setup!
That's funny. I had several Porsche owners come up to look at the Boss at RA earlier this week and say how impressed they were with its track performance watching it go around. Then they'd bring up the stick axle and say how they just couldn't believe Ford didn't put an IRS in it. I'm just sitting there chuckling to myself......you saw how fast it was.....you commented on how fast it was....then you say it can't be fast because it has a stick axle.....lol.

I thought I heard Chris Harris say in the video that the Camaro was faster on the road course, or am I mistaken?

cloud9 said:
SouthJerseyBoss said:
PeteInCT said:

I couldn't agree more, Pete. If you count the number of times Pobst praises the way both the Boss and the GT500 'put the power down' in both videos, it must be over 10! All that from a "dinosaur" rear axle setup!
That's funny. I had several Porsche owners come up to look at the Boss at RA earlier this week and say how impressed they were with its track performance watching it go around. Then they'd bring up the stick axle and say how they just couldn't believe Ford didn't put an IRS in it. I'm just sitting there chuckling to myself......you saw how fast it was.....you commented on how fast it was....then you say it can't be fast because it has a stick axle.....lol.

Tell them it makes the FR configuration pull like an RR coming out of corners. It isn't exactly the same, but it is close enough.

TMO Supporting Vendors